Shop Move

..Kev

Just now, K Cooper said:

And after all these may nths/years of watching your vids, I never noticed. Thanks Kev, I've often wondered but never asked.

You know I'm an open book Coop..  If you want to know something, ask..  Shoot me a note, ask in thread, what ever...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Cheeset202 said:

Kev, nice Job on the end table, bet you were happy just to make a little sawdust even though most of it ended up on the floor!  Won't be long and you will have your shop set up.  What will be your next project? 

End tables for the living room.. That's first on the wife's list to go with the new furniture.

I sure hated not having the DC for sure!  I've become spoiled!

31 minutes ago, TIODS said:

End tables for the living room.. That's first on the wife's list to go with the new furniture.

I sure hated not having the DC for sure!  I've become spoiled!

A DC is a great luxury, I installed a Clearvue system when I moved into my new shop and love it!  I just have temporary 6" PVC ducting for now until I use my shop for awhile as equipment may get rearranged after a couple of projects.  I would love to put in Nordfab ducting but that stuff is so expensive!

27 minutes ago, Cheeset202 said:

A DC is a great luxury, I installed a Clearvue system when I moved into my new shop and love it!  I just have temporary 6" PVC ducting for now until I use my shop for awhile as equipment may get rearranged after a couple of projects.  I would love to put in Nordfab ducting but that stuff is so expensive!

I have the CV 1800 with Nordfab but, it was set up for the old shop.  So, I may have to order some bits and pieces to get it up and running in this shop.

I'll start getting the DC up in the next video

1 minute ago, woodbutcher said:

Looking good Kev! Hows Kalispell treating you?

Awesome!  It's so nice to get away from rude people and come to a place where everyone is friendly and goes out of their way to be helpful!  

The electrician that did the electrical told me they'd send the bill in the mail.  Just got the envelope from them yesterday welcoming us to the area and stated there wouldn't be a bill for the install.  That would have never happened at the old place.

• Like 2

Wow, that is a very kind electrician! Ducting looks great, that Nordfab is amazing stuff. So you run a 7" main then go right to 4" for all your drops, correct?  I was thinking about running 6" as close to my machines as I can then hook up with 4" flex at the machines.  I have the same CV1800 as you with the 16" impeller.  Do you think I would not have enough fpm at my machines if I run 95% of the system at 6"?  It would be really nice to get 6" ports on my machines but that would require more surgery than I am willing to do.  

6 minutes ago, Tom King said:

That's great, but I can see favors showing up at the front door something in the future.

Get what you give I suppose.  It could happen but, I'll cross that bridge if/when it does.

4 minutes ago, Cheeset202 said:

Wow, that is a very kind electrician! Ducting looks great, that Nordfab is amazing stuff. So you run a 7" main then go right to 4" for all your drops, correct?  I was thinking about running 6" as close to my machines as I can then hook up with 4" flex at the machines.  I have the same CV1800 as you with the 16" impeller.  Do you think I would not have enough fpm at my machines if I run 95% of the system at 6"?  It would be really nice to get 6" ports on my machines but that would require more surgery than I am willing to do.  

I don't have any connections larger than 4" on any of my machines so, everything reduces to 4" at some point.

The 7" main was designed for the old shop which had a longer run.   I do have a drop on the Left side going to the 17" bandsaw.  Personally, I think you're fine with the 6" reducing to 4" close to the machine.  

1 hour ago, TIODS said:

Awesome!  It's so nice to get away from rude people and come to a place where everyone is friendly and goes out of their way to be helpful!  

The electrician that did the electrical told me they'd send the bill in the mail.  Just got the envelope from them yesterday welcoming us to the area and stated there wouldn't be a bill for the install.  That would have never happened at the old place.

Thats great! And what good customer service from the electrician. 

What brand pellet stove did you go with? 

1 minute ago, woodbutcher said:

Thats great! And what good customer service from the electrician. 

What brand pellet stove did you go with? 

Inexpensive Rockwell.  We get the pellets from a local manufacturer who's primary income is lumber from locally sourced trees.  It's all soft wood which isn't great for what I do but, they take all of their byproduct and make their own pellets.  They burn super well!

1 minute ago, Woodenskye said:

Kev, coming together nicely!  Good electricians are like gold.  2 questions for you.  For your pellet stove, are you venting through the wall or need to go through the roof?  Also do you need to do anything like build a hearth or change the wall covering to brick or stone?  

Thanks.  It's through the wall and stubs out about 12 inches or so.  Nothing on the stove gets hot except for the glass on the front so, no need to do anything to the floor or wall.  The vent pipe is double walled stainless (read expensive) and even it doesn't get hot enough that you can't hold your hand on it.  

I still have to hook up the thermostat but, once I do, it will turn itself on and off depending on my temperature settings.  All I have to do is feed it pellets.  This one's doing really well.  Although I haven't run it constant, I've only fed it 2 bags of pellets in a little over a week.  Pellets here are about 4 bucks a bag but, cheaper if you buy by the ton.  Drops down to about $3.50 a bag.

Shop looking good Kev.  Wondering how long of lumber you are setup to rip on your tablesaw  where it is?  Been thinking about getting another  a pellet stove  and if you run your stove on low how many bags of pellets would you use in 24 hours if you don't mind me asking.

53 minutes ago, Chet said:

What are you predicting for summer temperatures in the shop?

No clue to be honest Chet.  The summer temps here are only a couple degrees warmer than they were in WA.  Plus, this shop is better insulated than the last shop so, I'm going to have to get thru a summer in the shop and see if I need to do anything about the summer heat.

20 minutes ago, mat60 said:

Shop looking good Kev.  Wondering how long of lumber you are setup to rip on your tablesaw  where it is?  Been thinking about getting another  a pellet stove  and if you run your stove on low how many bags of pellets would you use in 24 hours if you don't mind me asking.

I can get 8' goods in there no problem.  If I need more, it's lined up where I can open the door.

I've been running the pellet stove on setting 2 (2 of 5) for an average of 6 to 8 hours per day for about a week now and I've only put 2 bags in it.  I'm sure that will change when the weather really gets cold but, this shop is really well insulated too.  A couple mornings last week, it was in the low to mid 20s outside and the shop was still at about 50 from the day before.

If you can (and want) to cut your own wood for a wood stove, then all you're out is time.  If you're buying cord wood then, it's way more expensive than pellets.  I can buy a ton (50 bags) of pellets for about $180.00.  Last I looked in WA, a cord of wood was going for about $230.00 and 50 bags will last me way longer than a cord of wood would and I can control the temperature in the shop better. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I have a pellet stove in my house and use it for our primary heat source.  During the dead of winter we use about 1 bag every 36 hrs.  My wood stove in my shop keeps warm cuz I am splitting wood.  Think I am going with a pellet stove this winter.

I'm thinking you have a quality pellet stove. I bag in 36 hrs is great. What brand do you have @Just Bob ?

1 hour ago, mat60 said:

I'm thinking you have a quality pellet stove. I bag in 36 hrs is great. What brand do you have @Just Bob ?

This one, http://www.harmanstoves.com/Products/XXV-TC-Pellet-Stove.aspx  it was pricey, but it my wife likes it, we can run it during our very numerous power outages, and it doesn't look bad.  Our house is a 2100 sqft rambler and it heats the place nicely.

• Like 1