Shop Move

..Kev

9 hours ago, K Cooper said:

You must have one heck of a wife. Mine would be "put the camera down and put picture hangers here and sofa there"! 

Hard to hang pictures when we have no furniture.  New house gets new furniture and most of it is being delivered today.  From there, she needs my shop up and running so that I can put that frame sled to work making all new frames for the new house ;)

58 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Can't wait to see the new space Kev and I agree with Cooper, it ain't gonna be the same without the acoustic paneling and  SRV keeping watch.

It is definitely different!  SRV will always be coming out of the speakers.

Really fighting space in this one!  Although it's only a little smaller than the other shop, the other shop was long and narrow where this one is perfectly square.  I'll get it figured out..  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TIODS said:

Really fighting space in this one!  Although it's only a little smaller than the other shop, the other shop was long and narrow where this one is perfectly square.  I'll get it figured out..  

Kev, glad the move went smoothly!  You mentioned the room to expand the new shop, looks like that may be happening sooner than you thought.

1 hour ago, Cheeset202 said:

Kev, happy to see you are now in the new home.  We need some pics!  Looking forward to the shop build.

Video tour should be ready by Sunday..  

11 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

Kev, glad the move went smoothly!  You mentioned the room to expand the new shop, looks like that may be happening sooner than you thought.

We're actually discussing building a new building rather than expanding the current ones.  The wife still needs a quilting room as well so, I need to take that into account.  To be honest, I think I can build another 30 x 50 for close to the same price as expanding the 2 current garages.  And, we have plenty of room to do that.  Regardless, I need the current shop up and running so will continue working that direction.  

Having the DC and Compressor in the shop rather than in another area like I did in the old shop really chews up much needed space.  It will make more sense when you see the video.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wdwerker said:

Make a bump out for the D.C. & Compressor an early priority. It can be used for garden tools after the new building is up.  Putting my compressor in a separate room has made a nice improvement for my shop. 

Yea, I loved it not being in the shop for sure!  Will probably just run for a bit as it until we decide if we're building or adding.  They each require a different solution for the DC stuff.  Nothing really hard about a bump out but, it would go where I'm considering expanding the entire shop.  

Kev, it is starting to look like a shop!  Really like the view out the shop window and your sign.   You may have mentioned this earlier, sorry if I missed, but is this a detached garage that was secondary to what is attached to the house?  Do you think you will close in one of the garage doors?

43 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

Kev, it is starting to look like a shop!  Really like the view out the shop window and your sign.   You may have mentioned this earlier, sorry if I missed, but is this a detached garage that was secondary to what is attached to the house?  Do you think you will close in one of the garage doors?

There are 2 detached garages.  I'll have a better idea of the actual space after I get it set up.  We are considering a few options.

1.  Leave just as it is, it's plenty

2.  Expand out the back 15' and close off one of the roll up doors

3.  Build a new 30 x 50 to house both the shop and the wife's quilting room much like the old shop.

20 minutes ago, woodbutcher said:

Montana welcomes you Kev! Shops gonna look awesome! 

Youve got quite a few cabinets there, do you have a plan for where they are gonna go?

Thanks for the welcome, we're loving it so far!

All of the base cabinets have a home as most are for the miter station.  The wall cabinets are a different story.  If they don't hang in the shop, they'll hang in the garage for more storage in there.

The wife is starting to push me a little to get the shop set up because we need some things for the house.  The list is ever growing! ;)

• Like 2

Thank goodness you're going to move your bench more toward the drill press! As soon as I saw it my OCD started yelling "Center it on the window, Kev! You're killing me!".;)

Thanks for the update. Looks like things are moving along with the million and one decisions you have to make.

27 minutes ago, davewyo said:

Thank goodness you're going to move your bench more toward the drill press! As soon as I saw it my OCD started yelling "Center it on the window, Kev! You're killing me!".;)

Thanks for the update. Looks like things are moving along with the million and one decisions you have to make.

Yea, that would have bothered my OCD as well..  Just rough placements at this point, it'll clean up.

9 minutes ago, Cheeset202 said:

Kev, starting to come along.  Do you have 220 in your shop or do you need to install a sub-panel off your main?  Won't be long and you will be making sawdust.  Snow is around the corner, do you have a snowmobile and quad, you are living in the perfect playground for those toys!

No 220 yet but, the sub panel is in there so, a fairly easy add.

No toys yet but, I'm sure there will be some.

24 minutes ago, Cheeset202 said:

Nice to have the panel in place, makes wiring so much easier, will you fish wire behind the walls or just run exterior conduit?  Winters here are spectacular, I pretty much shut the shop down in the winter and go play in the snow!

I'll probably run exterior conduit for that plug as the walls all closed in and the run is to the other side of the shop.

The shop will be heated so, I intend on working in there all winter long.  I'm sure I'll still get some snow time in.

4 minutes ago, Art said:

Sounds like you've got a great space with lots of possibilities.  Looks great so far!  

I've watched many of your videos and just now figured out what TIODS is.... 

Apparently I'm a little slow.

Art

All good Art..  It's an old handle but, it's stuck around.  Thanks for watching!

14 hours ago, Art said:

Sounds like you've got a great space with lots of possibilities.  Looks great so far!  

I've watched many of your videos and just now figured out what TIODS is.... 

Apparently I'm a little slow.

Art

Are you kidding me, I've been on here for more than a month or two  and still don't know?