Demilune Table

Hammer5573

I bricked the apron using some hardwood that wasn't furniture grade. I used burled mahogany on the top and on the apron. I usually attach the legs using bridal joints but this time I'm experimenting using dado joints with 1/2" dowels inserted from the rear. I did all of the inlays, including the shading, myself

17 hours ago, Hammer5573 said:

. I usually attach the legs using bridal joints but this time I'm experimenting using dado joints with 1/2" dowels inserted from the rear. 

I'm having trouble picturing this.  You mind explaining a bit further?

I have a demilune build coming in the near future - I'm curious how you usually cut the bridle joints, as I'm mulling over a few options.  Can I get a window into your method?

Great job, a beautiful piece!

6 hours ago, bgreenb said:

I have a demilune build coming in the near future - I'm curious how you usually cut the bridle joints, as I'm mulling over a few options.  Can I get a window into your method?

6 hours ago, bgreenb said:

Instead of going through a long explanation that probably wouldn't make sense, you can purchase an archived copy of the December 2006 Fine Woodworking issue. Steve Latta does an excellent job explaining the process. I like his method of bricking the apron better than others I've seen. I do make a few changes in how I do mine but not much. I wanted to experiment with an alternative method of anchoring the legs so I made the apron 2" thick with 1 5/16" deep dados allowing for a 3/16" reveal. I used 1/2" dowels for anchoring. Seems to work fine so far...?

• 2 years later...