I'm building a shop!

Robert Morse

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, VizslaDad said:

I want to see this thing filled with tools!

Soon. :) 

I'm buried with finishing up the inside: Framing exterior walls, running wire, insulating, closing them up... Compounding my slowness is the kids' sports and activities (I'm looking at you, School Play), and a crazy work schedule.  Hoping to be MOSLTY done by mid-late April, and I'll post some more pictures then.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, VizslaDad said:

Bring lots of friends over and ply them with after-lifting beverages to move that thing unless you want to spring for a gantry crane. 

Your experience has solidified my decision to pave a section of drive leading up to my new shop from the driveway!

I'm less worried about getting it off the pallet - the Hammer instructions/manual cover how to do this with a pallet jack. 

I've got a growing list of things I would have done differently.  A paved sidewalk from the house to the shop is one of them - for no other reason than wheeling tools and supplies. I wish I have thought thru the driveway a bit more: its easy to get our cars into the area in front of the shop, but between the slope, the way it curves near the house, and the gravel, it's nearly impossible to get a trailer to the shop. 

Also on the list of "should haves": raise the finished grade of the building site by about another foot to enhance landscaping in the back yard, a sliding door instead of overhead garage door, one or more of the roof beams engineered to carry a load so I could install a hoist. 

• 2 months later...

quick update - I've been buried at work, and with the kids end of year activities, there hasn't been much time the past couple of months.  Good news though: I'm taking the week of 18 June off work, with the goal of insulating, and buttoning up the ceiling. 

This week, I've managed to finish framing the interior walls, and today I completed the rough-in for the wiring (all but 5 feet of 12/2, because I ran out of romex).  I'll be ready for my electrical inspection shortly, which means I can get insulation in the walls, and get things closed up.  Also, I've rented a 15' drivable man-lift to facilitate working on the tall side of the shop, as I wasn't feeling safe at the top of my ladder.  Pictures later this week. 

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:28 PM, Tom King said:

I don't work off a ladder any more than I have to either. 

While you have the lift, can you beef up something in the ceiling structure to carry a hoist like you said earlier that you'd wished you had planned for?

I'll look into that at some point in the future - or I may build a frank howarth style gantry... Unfortunately, that strong point for a hoist is not going to be the priority for next week. 

11 hours ago, Robert Morse said:

I installed insulation for 2 hours last night, and then got up early and started again before it got too hot.  I got the ceiling to 98% done at around 4pm (other than the 2 starter rows, which are narrower than full size).  I'll finish those while I work on the walls tomorrow afternoon. 

Tomorrow is the last day of school, so a special donut date with the kids before school, and then I have to go to the office for a few hours.  My dad is coming in for a couple of days on Friday, and I have a buddy from work coming to help with ceiling panels Friday afternoon.  It will be nice to get this wrapped up soon.  Oh, and the clearvue cyclone showed up today (well 7/8 of it, FedEx has misplaced a box with some accessories).

One of those jobs that's no fun but long term makes a huge difference. I live in MN and my shop heat and air add very little to my utility bills, I believe due to how well I insulated it.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Insulation and Sheetrock work is for people who haven't learned the skills to do something more profitable and less miserable. If you choose to do your own I understand, but would you do it for the going rate ?

The older I get the more true this is :)

• Like 1