Morris Chair Pair

Chestnut

8 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Drew the chairs are looking great!! Is there an accent piece in the arms? 

Yes i used a piece of walnut to separate the regular cherry from the curly cherry i used on the tops of the arms. I didn't have 8/4 curly and didn't feel like wasting a ton of it for arm laminations.

10 hours ago, Tom King said:

Looking great!   I like everything about it.

On setting deadlines:   I don't do deadlines.  "Don't do" means: don't think about it, much less try to predict a finishing point, so there is nothing to discuss about a deadline.   I don't do deadlines for paying jobs, and I damn sure don't do deadlines for working on my own stuff.  Ask my Wife.

One of the most common questions I get asked is when will it be finished.  My answer is always the same.  It will be finished when there is nothing left to do on it.  The other question that goes along with that is how much will it cost.  I've always done it the same way.  I find out what it costs to build something by building it.  We'll know when it's finished.

Yeah i like having the deadline. It gives me something to shoot for otherwise i'd have a shop full of half completed projects.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2018 at 9:05 PM, Chestnut said:

The debate. Can i just just a 10" piece and cut the top and bottom out of the 1 piece with out making a bunch of weird shaped off cuts that are basically firewood. YES! After i made the top and bottom form i set them on the ply and put a good 1/4" between them measured from one side to the other and get 9.25" i rounded that to 9.5" and was able to get  all of the layers i needed for the template from just over a half a sheet of ply. Below is a picture of the two arcs drawn from the top form and bottom form with 1/16" separating them. There was no appreciable difference in the gap from one end to the other. CAD told me the gap if perfectly lined up would only be 0.034" or 1/32"

Here they are cut apart.

5a5c186836d3a_MorrisChair043Share.thumb.jpg.238f7f454e06c8609bee505c9e941229.jpg

How long did you make the form?  I need to download the template, but it sounds like Marc made his 36" long...did you go shorter?

1 hour ago, bleedinblue said:

How long did you make the form?  I need to download the template, but it sounds like Marc made his 36" long...did you go shorter?

The plywood rectangles i cut were 36.5" x 9.5" maybe 37". I took the paper template and measured the size i'd need and then cut out the size. I wish i had better faith in my form because i'd offer it out to people but i don't think i did the best job with it. I also will need it somewhat soon for the sofa/couch i plan to make based off the same design as the chairs.

5 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

Gotcha.  In my head I thought it would be closer to 24", so a half sheet of ply would produce eight layers.  I bought a half sheet today, but I have enough scrap to build the form I'm sure.

Where do you think you went wrong?  Was the curve not consistent? 

Yeah i think it's kind of a wavy curve there are some spots where the plys pulled close and others where there are more noticeable lines but it's inconsistent. It's the one thing that i'd want a CNC for i guess.

Thanks guys. I will show some of the bigger flaws after i attempt a bit of a fix on them but unless i point them out few people are going to notice.  One thing that i noticed is that the epoxy needs to be spread thin. When i was chopping the through mortises i found a couple areas with thicker gaps. I remember pooling some epoxy in those areas so it has me wondering if because it's a bit thicker than regular glue that it didn't squeeze out?

2 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

And the more I look at the walnut in the lamination the more I like it.  I'm not planning on it, but if I get in a pinch and need the extra thickness that'll be my fix no doubt.

I did it as a cheat so i could put the curly lamination on the arms and not have the sides look very obviously different. The curly cherry i have is quite a bit darker than the fresh cut stuff the rest of the chair is made from. I don't need to tell you guys that it's obvious even in the pictures. I want the leather to be a dark brown similar to the walnut. I think the lamination in the arm and the leather being close in color will be a nice tie.

8 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

Awesome. Only one footrest? Girl in picture will not be happy.

There are 2 one is in clamps the other is mostly complete.

Looking good! your moving right along on these. What's your plan for the finish?

Satin wipe on poly. I don't see my self doing any thing else.

• Like 1

Looking good Drew the side panels really turned out nice. You got snow? We got nada in Zimmerman 

I just didn't shovel it off the last time it snowed. I don't have a puppy, not really a pet person. I love the theory but prefer to practice that theory vicariously through others. My dad has always shoveled his deck off vicariously through me, so the habitat kinda stuck. It's nice to be able to use it in the winter if we get a nice day. For some reason i thought you were in Princeton.

9 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

Nice progress.  I guess the slot cutting in the side panels was uneventful?  I'm not too worried about it except for controlling tear out.  

I'm cutting the back slats from 8/4 just to make cutting the tenons easier.  I'd never get that God awful contraption Marc made right.

Yeah that was some of the motivation to do them from solid as well, I'm going to be doing a heck of a lot more of these in the future so i figured might as well do them the most efficient way possible. Next project is a couch  that's basically 3 Morris chairs connected in a row, or so my idea is that so far.