Morris Chair Pair

Chestnut

6 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Darkish brown. Leather is a very involved product similar to wood finishes. It's difficult to know what to choose here. Hence the question about what type to go with.

Makes sense. I know very little about leather, as it doesn't go well in hot climate homes with no AC :( 

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

So i have some movement this past week. I finally got the leather from the distributor, called the guy doing the upholstery and he's going to be on vacation starting Thursday this week for a week but wants me to drop everything off. I was somewhat leery on the leather and it took a lot of research to decide. I finally decide on a full aniline leather. It seemed the the full aniline leathers are sort of like an oil finish on wood. Keep the maintained and they stay beautiful forever, and finish repairs are easy. Protected leathers have a finish sort of like poly that is durable but when damaged can be more difficult to fix.

photo5163443914596788187.thumb.jpg.2c18aa361086102e9a0fbf6e84df5390.jpg

Don't ask it cost WAY too much.

13 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

So i have some movement this past week. I finally got the leather from the distributor, called the guy doing the upholstery and he's going to be on vacation starting Thursday this week for a week but wants me to drop everything off. I was somewhat leery on the leather and it took a lot of research to decide. I finally decide on a full aniline leather. It seemed the the full aniline leathers are sort of like an oil finish on wood. Keep the maintained and they stay beautiful forever, and finish repairs are easy. Protected leathers have a finish sort of like poly that is durable but when damaged can be more difficult to fix.

photo5163443914596788187.thumb.jpg.2c18aa361086102e9a0fbf6e84df5390.jpg

Don't ask it cost WAY too much.

That looks amazing! Oh and what did it cost? LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

Well you should have some extra leather for the next small project then :) 

I still think for a two heirloom pieces that is not really that bad.

I'm not unhappy with the cost (i haven't seen the finished product yet), i had a rough range of what to expect for the cost and it defiantly hit the top end of that range. I'll disclose the whole cost after it's done and i can share pictures. Beings that the work isn't done yet I'm not sure if I'm aiming at a moving target or not still.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chestnut said:

I'm not unhappy with the cost (i haven't seen the finished product yet), i had a rough range of what to expect for the cost and it defiantly hit the top end of that range. I'll disclose the whole cost after it's done and i can share pictures. Beings that the work isn't done yet I'm not sure if I'm aiming at a moving target or not still.

I think based on the great job you did on the woodworking side the extra cost for the premium upholstery is well deserved. They will look amazing.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

They turned out amazing Drew!! $3,100, while it is a lot of money I feel its cheap for two heirloom chair sets that will stay in your family for generations to come. Great pics too.

BTW after I make mine I may have to come over and check out the upholstery. I plan on doing my own and I really like how yours turned out.

10 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

They turned out amazing Drew!! $3,100, while it is a lot of money I feel its cheap for two heirloom chair sets that will stay in your family for generations to come. Great pics too.

BTW after I make mine I may have to come over and check out the upholstery. I plan on doing my own and I really like how yours turned out.

Totally agree. Your welcome to stop by and take a look any time.

• Like 1