Morris Chair Pair

Chestnut

16 minutes ago, Chet said:

What finish are you using?  Sorry if you mentioned it in the past and I missed it.

I don't think i did mention it.

I'm still using Minwax wipe on poly beings that i bought a bunch of it at $6 a quart. I've used it side by side with ARS and the difference isn't noticeable let alone worth the $12 premium. Or was ARS closer to $25 a quart? I can't remember.

13 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Or was ARS closer to $25 a quart? I can't remember.

If I remember when Marc did a video on the different finishes he mentioned that Minwax was now more then ARS and was guessing that the youtube world had made Minwax a more known product thus driving the price.  I haven't actually compared the prices.  The last time I used ARS I was following a specific finish protocol so I just bought it, I didn't shop price.  And it doesn't matter for you because it sounds like you have a supply for a while. ;)

7 hours ago, Chet said:

If I remember when Marc did a video on the different finishes he mentioned that Minwax was now more then ARS and was guessing that the youtube world had made Minwax a more known product thus driving the price.  I haven't actually compared the prices.  The last time I used ARS I was following a specific finish protocol so I just bought it, I didn't shop price.  And it doesn't matter for you because it sounds like you have a supply for a while. ;)

Yeah he's changed his stance on it a few times. Early on it was ARS all the way then he was Wipe on poly all the way cause it was cheaper and now he's ARS again. I don't know where he sources it but i can get it at menards quite frequently with both an 11% and $4 per quart mail in rebate which brings the price down to $6 a quart. As far as quality i can't tell the difference, I've applied both literally side by side on the same project. Only reason i pick one over the other is because price is the last thing to go off of. I know there is a lot of hate on minwax products for some reason. Their stains are trash i agree, i really need to try some GF stains or try dying istead.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

i really need to try some GF stains or try dying istead.

I have used their gel stain over the seal a cell and was pretty happy with it.  I also have used transtint dyes and was happy with the result, but my first choice will always be to work with wood that provides the color I am working for.

I did use some minwax once and didn't really care for it but that is just my personal opinion.  I certainly don't begrudge someone using it if they are happy with it. 

7 minutes ago, Chet said:

I have used their gel stain over the seal a cell and was pretty happy with it.  I also have used transtint dyes and was happy with the result, but my first choice will always be to work with wood that provides the color I am working for.

I did use some minwax once and didn't really care for it but that is just my personal opinion.  I certainly don't begrudge someone using it if they are happy with it. 

Oh i only used it because i didn't know any better. After i knew better i stuck with it because i had the color i liked and didn't want to branch out.

I agree on the color part which is why i use a lot of cherry and walnut now, but i still have a stack of oak and i can't stand the look of natural oak.

I do a fair amount of matching existing finish work when I either recreate or repair cabinet doors & drawers . The General water based stains and dyes give me a good way to sneak up on matching old finishes. They even have some guides on how to combine different layers to achieve certain tones. 

6 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

They even have some guides on how to combine different layers to achieve certain tones. 

My Woodcraft store has a display of GF stain colors that are made by doing one part this color ad two parts this color or what ever the recipe is.  They have created about 3 times as many colors as the original GF stains offer.  I don't know if this is something that a store employee did or whether it came from GF.  The display doesn't have anything from GF on it other then what stains to use to get a certain color.

GF even sells kits of colors and a mixing guide. My Woodcraft has the same GF display. I use them for small cans when doing testing & jobs with just a door or 2. One of the local cabinet suppliers carries GF and will color match stains, gallons only & it ain't cheap or fast. I always tell people that a color matched finish will be close but not perfect and it's time and materials. If you don't like the first result I will keep trying and you will keep paying ! Slows down those super picky folks real quick ! Did one door 3 times and just the finishing was $750 but it looked right. I had the doors that went on either side of it to work towards . 

@Chet This isn't as good as the previous sale but still $9 a quart is pretty decent. I'm going to stock up on my way home today. I also am going to do another side by side with ARS maybe a year more of experience will reveal something else.

https://www.menards.com/main/interior-wood-care/polyurethane-clear-protective-finishes/oil-based-polyurethane/minwax-reg-clear-satin-wipe-on-poly-1-qt/60910/p-1444440477565-c-7966.htm?tid=9118359487352374537&ipos=10

compared to rockler

http://www.rockler.com/general-finishes-arm-r-seal-urethane-topcoat-satin

http://www.rockler.com/minwaxreg-wipe-on-poly

I don't know how the sell it for as cheap as they do. Must not care about high margins.

10 minutes ago, AceHoleInOne said:

General Finishes "RTM" Product line.

With just a few basic base colors, you can make all kinds of "brown" :D click on "COLORS"  When you read something that says " 2 of these and 4 base. Base means the clear to mix the color with. Makes the color thinner and more transparent. 

-Ace-

Maybe it's penny pinching maybe it's the desire to go my own way. I like the buying a dye or stain pre mixed and ready to apply but part of me likes the though of using aniline dyes in power or liquid form to mix colors. I could do 1 project and then never be able to reproduce the color :D. It would make each piece more valuable because a part of it wouldn't be reproduce able. I have some trans tint already  and liked using it to tint shellac but it'd be interesting to use it with water and see how that is different.

26 minutes ago, Chet said:

Unfortunately this can be a sign of a strong economy.  

I don't find this to be an acceptable excise, in the event that you pass over a repeat client that will contract work in both strong and weak economies. My annoyance is their loss, i would only care if i couldn't get the work done. A very simple "we'd love to do the work for you but unfortunately we're too busy at this time" would have me consider them in the future.

I wasn't saying it was an acceptable  excuse, that is why I said unfortunately.  And sometimes when companies get busy the customer service politeness suffers, again not an excuse.  My business lives and dies by customer service and word of mouth, I do no advertising.  And you are correct, I have had to tell folks that unfortunately I was too busy to help them at this time, I don't like having to do that but I am a one person operation.  I do give them an alternate companies name that is a bigger operation and can handle short notice business. 

8 minutes ago, Chet said:

I wasn't saying it was an acceptable  excuse, that is why I said unfortunately.  And sometimes when companies get busy the customer service politeness suffers, again not an excuse.  My business lives and dies by customer service and word of mouth, I do no advertising.  And you are correct, I have had to tell folks that unfortunately I was too busy to help them at this time, I don't like having to do that but I am a one person operation.  I do give them an alternate companies name that is a bigger operation and can handle short notice business. 

Oh sorry that wasn't the intention of my comment, i'm annoyed with the situation and was expressing further thoughts. I respect getting a comment like yours from a company. Though maybe they didn't take me seriously. I don't know what ever it was their loss. I wish contracting these people was like what i do for a living and if they fail to contact you do sub par work or are miserable we just fine them or don't pay them. Seems like consumer just get the big ole shaft.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

Chairs look amazing. Good luck with the leather. Any idea what color/tone you are going to get?

Darkish brown. Leather is a very involved product similar to wood finishes. It's difficult to know what to choose here. Hence the question about what type to go with.