Morris Chair Pair

Chestnut

11 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I love the rich slightly mottled look of that leather. A single color leather just doesn't look natural. 4 hides ? Was there any useful scraps left ?

Yeah there was probably 3/4 of a hide left. I may have mentioned earlier that they were bigger than we were expecting. I think he could have gotten it done in 3 hides if pressed but I'm glad he didn't. I'll be saving the hide for tests on leather conditioners and for the couch I'll be making hopefully this winter.

10 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Will you be having Terry cloth covers made for them:rolleyes:? Beautiful work bud! 

Nope I'm going to try and not be picky about them. I'm hoping that i with use they just look better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I'll be saving the hide for tests on leather conditioners

I have been using this Lexol Conditioner a long with their cleaner for six years on my car and I am real happy with it.  No oily feeling or oder afterward, keeps it real soft and you don't feel like you are sliding in the seat after an application which some of the other conditioner do.  Also there is no discoloration which may not be a concern with your darker leather but I was concerned about with the light color we have.  It was recommended to me by a pro detailer.

2 hours ago, Chet said:

I have been using this Lexol Conditioner a long with their cleaner for six years on my car and I am real happy with it.  No oily feeling or oder afterward, keeps it real soft and you don't feel like you are sliding in the seat after an application which some of the other conditioner do.  Also there is no discoloration which may not be a concern with your darker leather but I was concerned about with the light color we have.  It was recommended to me by a pro detailer.

X2 this is what I have used for years on my vehicles as well.

On 6/17/2018 at 7:46 PM, wdwerker said:

I love the rich slightly mottled look of that leather. A single color leather just doesn't look natural. 4 hides ? Was there any useful scraps left ?

So i finally dug into the left over leather that the upholstery guy gave back to me. It turns out he said he needed 4 hides but only used 3. So i have probably 10 sq ft of one hide and a 52 sq ft full hide left over. So that drops the total cost of the chairs by $300. I think he was a bit embarrassed about miss quoting me material because i asked him how much was left over and he skirted the question. After i told him i have plans for the scraps and another project for him he had a smile on his face.

After having them for a week I love them. I sat in one of the chairs last night reading a book for a good 2.5 hours and it was about as comfortable as any other chair. I don't often sit for long periods so i tend to get uncomfortable and move around a lot. If i could make 1 modification I'd put more slope on the bottom cushion. Something i suppose i still could do.

7 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

So i finally dug into the left over leather that the upholstery guy gave back to me. It turns out he said he needed 4 hides but only used 3. So i have probably 10 sq ft of one hide and a 52 sq ft full hide left over. So that drops the total cost of the chairs by $300. I think he was a bit embarrassed about miss quoting me material because i asked him how much was left over and he skirted the question. After i told him i have plans for the scraps and another project for him he had a smile on his face.

After having them for a week I love them. I sat in one of the chairs last night reading a book for a good 2.5 hours and it was about as comfortable as any other chair. I don't often sit for long periods so i tend to get uncomfortable and move around a lot. If i could make 1 modification I'd put more slope on the bottom cushion. Something i suppose i still could do.

Nice! By more slope are you saying the back of the bottom cushion lower than the front? Always taking notes :) 

35 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Make a wedge from scrap to see if you like the different slope .   Glad to hear they turned out comfortable !

Excellent idea. I might try that this weekend if i get a few moments.

32 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Nice! By more slope are you saying the back of the bottom cushion lower than the front? Always taking notes :) 

Yes back slightly lower. Though this i feel comes to some personal preference. I like a pretty sloped seat. The material might also have an impact. Leather is a bit more slippery than cloth so part of the desire is so when the seat back is in a comfortable recline i don't have the tenancy to slide forward.

Hopefully i can modify the slope. The upholstery is fairly tight in the chair.

10 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Excellent idea. I might try that this weekend if i get a few moments.

Yes back slightly lower. Though this i feel comes to some personal preference. I like a pretty sloped seat. The material might also have an impact. Leather is a bit more slippery than cloth so part of the desire is so when the seat back is in a comfortable recline i don't have the tenancy to slide forward.

Hopefully i can modify the slope. The upholstery is fairly tight in the chair.

Thanks! In my opinion you will not be able to alter whats there without redoing the cushion. If you cut the foam (even a minute amount like a 1/4") and reinsert into the same cover you will have wrinkles develop either immediately or certainly over time. The cover will have to be reshaped to match the new foam shape. I would highly recommend you talk to your upholsterer before even attempting it. They look so good you don't want to have problems down the road. 

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

In my opinion you will not be able to alter whats there without redoing the cushion.

Doesn't the cushion sit on a web frame?  I think Drew is thinking of adjusting the frame under the cushion, but I could be wrong.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

Thanks! In my opinion you will not be able to alter whats there without redoing the cushion. If you cut the foam (even a minute amount like a 1/4") and reinsert into the same cover you will have wrinkles develop either immediately or certainly over time. The cover will have to be reshaped to match the new foam shape. I would highly recommend you talk to your upholsterer before even attempting it. They look so good you don't want to have problems down the road. 

Yeah like @Chet said i'll just be changing the angle of the frame under the foam.

• Like 1