What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

Use a solder on elbow with flange and screw holes.  Feed it up from the bottom.  The hole up there can be elongated enough to run the screws in and still be under the escutcheon.  Been there, done that.  I wouldn't even mind using CPVC for the riser.    Just don't use a plastic female threaded adapter for anything.  Solder a female copper threaded adapter close above the valve base. Pex would work too, but might be tight to crimp a ring in there.

There's always a way to do it.

• Like 2

First of all, a massive thank you Tom for all of your guidance and encouragement. Without it, I definitely would not have been successful. If we ever meet, I owe you at least a dinner.

I ended up being able to get to everything without cutting the tile, so I have a Dremel and accessories to return. My hands are scraped up but I'll survive. Getting one screw of each bracket out through the hole was difficult. I was able to get one out of each bracket and pushed the brackets out of the way.

I looked last night and I can feed the pipe up through the shower valve, possibly even with the proper elbow attached. I'll try to keep any drywall cutting to under the extrusion so I don't have to repair any drywall. Current elbow seems to be nailed in so prying it off could be interesting.

Also on today's agenda, in-between work and a Home Depot run, is to install a new recessed ceiling light in our kitchen and remove the hidden junction box that I discovered.

Drywall guy comes tomorrow to give an estimate. He's done a lot of work for my parents and always does a great job. Between a work trip and vacation I'll be gone for almost two weeks.

• Like 2

I still like the old style cans with the lamp socket. I've had so many LEDs need replacement. It's nice that it's a simple switch instead of chasing parts. Or is replacing the can less lights easy? They all seem like they have some proprietary plug. Or when they fail you have to get back up and rewire the junction box.

Am i alone on this?

• Like 2

For most new construction I would still use a can.  For putting in an existing ceiling where access if questionable, I'd use the ones that just snap into the hole.  I would stick to known brand names, and buy extras for backups to start with.  I would also stay away from ones that take some unusually large hole size, like 6-3/8's.

On 6/21/2023 at 11:04 AM, Chestnut said:

I still like the old style cans with the lamp socket. I've had so many LEDs need replacement. It's nice that it's a simple switch instead of chasing parts. Or is replacing the can less lights easy? They all seem like they have some proprietary plug. Or when they fail you have to get back up and rewire the junction box.

Am i alone on this?

I'll be replacing it with a traditional can light to match the other 2 in the kitchen and 5 in the dining room. I'm with you, had too many LED's fail. I don't want to have to redo 8 lights because one died and the new one doesn't match the color. I don't want to stock extras either. Much simpler to screw in a light bulb.

The drywall is cut out where the light is so in that sense it shouldn't be too hard. I'm not sure how the heck it was wired. There's an extra wire from the (hidden) junction box to the light I removed. The black cable on the extra cable was just wrapped in electrical tape inside the light. Explains why our light switch doesn't work since I temporarily attached all three cables together.

If I don't have enough slack to remove the junction box we may just end up with an extra, randomly placed recessed light in the kitchen.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Am i alone on this?

+1

Nice taking a shower this morning without hitting my head on the shower head. Not a bad consolation prize for having to cut open the drywall. Slight drip from the shower arm to elbow connection. I think the brand new shower arm wasn't threaded well. When I do my returns I'll pick up another new one to see if it's fixed. Tried installing it a couple of times (with tape) but can't get it to stop.

On 6/22/2023 at 8:34 AM, Chestnut said:

I figured out one big plus on those can-less lights as well after I posted. They are easy and most people don't live in their house for a long period of time. National average is something like 5-7 years. So let the next guy deal with it.

We just hit 11 years last week and I think we have at least a few more left here.

• Like 1

I would have kept trying to get out the nails if I was going to have to cut the tile. To go through all the effort of not and having to for the arm would have been upsetting. Dope, tape and dope seems to have solved the drip but I won't know for sure until we shower tomorrow. I've wasted enough water this week.

35 minutes ago, Mark J said:

When I've done it the attachment point has spanned two or three rafters/joists.  Maybe that's better?

Yes much better the strength does add up. I should note that joists are significantly different than rafters. Anything that is floor rated is designed to a 40 PSF live load and i think a 20 psf dead load maybe it was 40 psf I can't remember. I don't practice structures.

• Thanks 1