What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

John, what motor and transmission does that truck have?

One of my jobs as a teenager was going to get 300 pound blocks of ice for a local store.  I forget what the owner paid me, but it was by the block put in his ice house.  The ice plant was in town a half hour away.  He had me use his truck, a half ton Ford from the early '60's, not too much different in frame and suspension from that truck.

I'd put 7 300 pound blocks in the back of the truck, and tie a thick canvas cover over them.  Even in Summer they didn't melt enough to matter on the trip back.

It's a good thing there was hardy any traffic on the road here back then, because the front tires were barely touching the road, and the rear end was almost touching.  That truck was a small V8 with three on the tree.

The 300 pound blocks were scored to be cut with an ice pick into 25 pound blocks, and two 50 pound blocks on one end.  Anyone who sold such ice like that out of an icehouse also had a crusher sitting right outside the ice house that a block would be dropped in and the crushed ice run into a big multi-layer brown paper bag if anyone wanted it crushed.

My best friend and I worked at a campground and marina selling gas to boats and ice.  We'd switch off when whichever one of us was getting too hot selling gas in the Sun, and cool off in the ice house.

I have a pair of ice tongs here now, and the skill developed from cutting ice with an ice pick has come in good cutting stone since then.

• Like 1

@Tom King - Weren't you just saying you wanted to get Pam away from the hustle and bustle of remote lake life to a nice relaxing suburb of DC? Dang, I guess it would be the other way around.

Thank you for all the guidance. I already purchased the heat shield per your suggestion after my last plumbing job. I went to Home Depot last night and looked at the Kohler set. Thankfully the box was already open. Replacing that cartridge seems a heck of a lot easier than when I replaced the current valve.

My opening is currently only 4.5" but I think that could be expanded with the new cover plate size. I'm not sure the best way to cut the already installed glass tile. I could just try removing it between the grout lines but that would limit how big of an opening I could create.

I was able to see the pipe is clamped to the 2x4 you can see the top of in that hole. I'm sure that will be easy to remove.

1. Remove current valve and supply pipes
  2. Enlarge holes in floor
  3. Feed new pipe through the floor then solder Tee, hammer arrester and pipe to connect to new modern valve
  4. Solder pipe in the ceiling of the kitchen
  5. Figure out setback/mount wood block with adhesive (thank you for that suggestion)
  6. Solder new valve to supply lines and diverter pipe to shower head

Am I missing anything with the process? I wish there's a way to test my joints before installing the new valve because once it's all installed, taking it apart to fix something will be a lot of work. Should I replace the diverter pipe as well? I imagine would need to remove some drywall around the shower head to remove the mount.

You couldn't pay me enough to drive through Northern Virginia and back to get there, even if I didn't have anything else to do.

Don't screw the valve base to the block until after you have the pipes soldered to it.  Put something small and heat proof behind the valve to hold it off the block of wood while the soldering is being done.  After it's cool, wipe it off good and then screw it in place.

I use a Dremel with the $25 (maybe more now) diamond wheels to cut such tile and grout lines, with a Shop Vac to suck up the dust as it's being cut.  I'm sure it's not the cheapest method, but the easiest I know of to keep mess out of the house. 

When I start a tile cutting job, I buy a new Dremel and keep the receipt handy.  They don't last like they used to and chances are high that it won't finish the job.  That small job shouldn't be too bad on one, but you can never tell.

Diverter pipe should be fine.  There's not much pressure in it the little bit of time it's being used.

I would consider replacing the other side riser while you're into it.

You could test them with air from below by plugging the showerhead elbow and putting the valve cartridge in.  I'm confident enough in my soldering that I wouldn't bother, but I've done a few thousand joints.

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the tips. I'll add a Dremel and small shop vac to my list of things to pick up.

I was planning to replace both sides while everything is apart and as easily accessible as it's going to get.

I've currently soldered 10 joints in my life so I'll figure out a way to test it.

Lowes and Home Depot will both have some variation of this. 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-Test-Pressure-Gauge/1000182395

Those Dremel diamond wheels require the quick-change arbor.

You're going to have some money tied up in this, but accumulating the tools will probably still be less than hiring a "pro" and you will have the tools when you finish, plus be able to take your time and do it right without screwing up something else.

I probably used $200 worth of these changing a green fiberglass bathtub to a handicap accessible shower in the rental house, but it was still worth it.  I can cut a finished line with them. One wheel will cut maybe four feet of really hard tile and mortar.  It will quit cutting all of a sudden when it's used up.  Don't breathe any of the dust.

Make sure which way you will be throwing the dust to start with, and have the vacuum nozzle right there to catch it.

https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-EZ545-2-Inch-Diamond-Wheel/dp/B000Y4ZTFS/ref=pd_bxgy_vft_none_sccl_2/138-7493386-2594623?pd_rd_w=75cbv&content-id=amzn1.sym.26a5c67f-1a30-486b-bb90-b523ad38d5a0&pf_rd_p=26a5c67f-1a30-486b-bb90-b523ad38d5a0&pf_rd_r=2WK1QHYCBMGWQ3ZRNM81&pd_rd_wg=3yIWq&pd_rd_r=4ac5d2ed-52d3-4849-b7ec-fb7e28b56738&pd_rd_i=B000Y4ZTFS&psc=1

I'll be paying for the parts either way so I'm really just out the cost of a Dremel and accessories, cheap shop vac and that pressure gauge

With rates around here I'll be saving tons of money for a plumber and a handyman would just use SharkBite for all the connections.

We will have a big hole in our kitchen ceiling for a while. Drywall is not my strong suit and I can't convince my wife to put up beadboard like you've shown in the past. Also found a hidden junction box in the kitchen ceiling that I'll correct.

Just now, legenddc said:

Crazy the smoke is still hanging around. It cleared out of here last Friday for us and I haven't heard a thing about the wildfires anymore.

Yeah if it isn't happening over the east coast it doesn't exist according to the news apparently.... :P. Our aqi numbers hit ~250 yesterday. I'm battling a cold, allergies, and this stuff. It isn't the most fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/15/2023 at 9:42 AM, Chestnut said:

Yeah if it isn't happening over the east coast it doesn't exist according to the news apparently.... :P. Our aqi numbers hit ~250 yesterday. I'm battling a cold, allergies, and this stuff. It isn't the most fun.

It's our short attention span. The bridge collapse in Philly took over.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, legenddc said:

It's our short attention span. The bridge collapse in Philly took over.

It doesn't make sense why everyone is making such a big deal over that. Is there not an alternate route to avoid that area? Couldn't someone just say use 295 or 276?

13 hours ago, JohnG said:

Ours enjoyed that too. Also loved when we would act like we were going to chomp their feet as they came toward us. 

Yeah that one is a winner sometimes too.

16 hours ago, drzaius said:

So she's a fan of slapstick. Bet she'd love the Three Stooges.

Awe man i need to find a way to watch some of those old shows. It looks like the stooges is on disney plus, that's something we already have. Also boomerang has a lot of the old cartoons if not all of them.

YouTube has a lot of older shows too. After reading I am Lucille Ball to my daughter we had to show her a lot of clips from it. Went through a few Three Stooges clips as well. I didn't realize the full shows are on Disney plus, I'll have to show her that.

When we were in Disney last month the kids only watched the Boomerang channel. Was great seeing the Flintstones again and some Scooby Doo/Looney Tunes that we don't normally see.

• Like 1

Seems like the smoke cleared out?

just turned on the water after finishing soldering everything back up. What a royal pain the rear. Thankfully no leaks from what I soldered. Of course all the jostling to install the valve caused a leak up towards the shower head. When I went to remove the shower arm it snapped right off.

Guess I'll be cutting some drywall above our shower to access it. No clue how to feed the pipe up there. I don't think I can fit it in the hole by the valve but I'm about to go check.

• Sad 4