What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

I didn't want to get off the tractor with one of the really big ones in the bucket, but this will give you an idea.  Some wide angle distortion.  The tractor is not that small relative to the bucket, but it's a 7' bucket.  This rock probably weighed 800 pounds.

The road in the background is the mile long state road that runs down the middle of our place.  This is right outside the entrance to the rock quarry that's about 300 yards back into the woods, and about a half mile from our house.

I was going to take a picture of the quarry the next trip, but I got called back to the house, so done for today.

IMG_4915.jpg

• Like 2

I only took three more rocks this afternoon, but also found two perfect stones for the fire pit.

We have about a mile and a half of car drivable paths that started out as a Horse Eventing cross country course, but the jumps all rotted away long ago.   Mostly used by golf carts, side by sides, dirt bikes, and some horses.

image.thumb.jpeg.a6d1572167f5a559b24d40a4773f8750.jpeg

• Like 2

I moved a few more rocks today, and the goose didn't even get off of her nest.  I almost have enough in place that it will stop any further erosion until I can have more time to make it look better with a few loads of Rip Rap.  It was blowing 14 today, so waves large enough to see that they were being stopped.

There was a good case study in Quantum Physics as one 1,000 pound stone rolled about 10 feet out.  Waves hit it and reformed around it like it wasn't there.  I dropped it from as high as I could pick it up onto an old stump right on the edge.  It did break the stump up, but rolled too far out.  I'll get it back with a chain after the water warms up.

• Like 1

I remember a lot of bruised knuckled from childhood post-hole digging. Eventually my dad and I replaced one of the handles with a bent sapling trunk that was just the right size and added a nice curve that kept your knuckles far enough apart without reducing the maximum depth more than a few inches.

Went to move a few more loads of rocks today, and had a flat tire.  It could have been deep in the woods, or left me in the road with a loaded bucket, but it happened right out in front of the mechanic shop on the road.  I drove it in with the rim crushing the tire to where I could take it off with an impact gun.

I had been taking the front tires on that tractor for granted.  The 1979 tractor was well used when I bought it in 1991, and I had never changed the front tires.  I called my tire place and ordered two.  Supposed to be there at 10 in the morning, so I shouldn't lose much work with it.

It was with a load of smaller rocks to fill in behind one of the big ones.  I picked the front tires up with the loader, and put a big jack stand under the axle to take the tire off, and to put it back on, so it's really not much trouble at all, other than the trip to the tire store tomorrow.  The white thing under the right side of the front axle is the jack stand.  I only have one of those big jack stands.  I'll have to use cribbing blocks on the other side, but left that for tomorrow.

IMG_5019.jpg

• Like 2

I scooped those up.  That's why there is a lot of small stuff in the bucket too. 

For the larger ones, there has to be a backstop, like larger rocks, to push against to get the bucket edge under it, and to not tip back out when I roll the bucket up from a level bottom.

I have had to pull some out of piles with a chain, but all rock handling is done from the tractor seat.

It's a 70hp tractor with 2500 lb. lift capacity.  There is a 2700 lb. rotary cutter on the back of it, and 55 gallons of fluid in each rear tire.

I forget when I replaced the rear tires, but I never replaced the front ones.

• Like 1

A bit more than my 26hp tractor with about 1,000lb lift capacity (in addition to the weight of the bucket/forks). I think my 5’ rotary mower is only 550lb. :lol:

I have a few times exceeded my weight capacity, but otherwise have been happy with the size of my tractor for what I typically do.

• Like 1