What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

1 hour ago, legenddc said:

Will buy the necessary equipment and it to the spring cleaning list. 

Is this supposed to be an annual task?

Looks like a  good fix. Our dryer is on an outside wall but does the vent go directly outside? Nope it goes into the garage and takes 3 turns before being vented. I should pull it apart and clean it again. Haven't done it in 3-4 years. oopps.

On 3/20/2023 at 1:38 PM, Chestnut said:

Is this supposed to be an annual task?

Looks like a  good fix. Our dryer is on an outside wall but does the vent go directly outside? Nope it goes into the garage and takes 3 turns before being vented. I should pull it apart and clean it again. Haven't done it in 3-4 years. oopps.

My quick Google searched turned up once a year, maybe more if you do a lot of laundry. I'll look in the vent to see if it's dirty before I do anything. Could just be a conspiracy theory by "Big Dryer Vent Cleaner".

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, treeslayer said:

It just won’t quit :mellow:, I sure hope that this is the last one, just south of here got 9”

I can't really complain it's been one of the most beautiful (temp and aesthetics) winters i can remember for a long time. We're on the edge of breaking a snowfall record.

• Like 1

The loop on one of the cables that counter the weight of our garage door snapped yesterday. Well i should say it rusted through.

0329231606_HDR-01.thumb.jpeg.082a559be2fb6fa95fe572e01d0b2db4.jpeg

Luckily i have a steel insulated door so it was pretty light to lift up with the spring connected on the other side. I was able to get the cable replaced for $11 in parts and 60 min of work. Most of the 60 min was unloading and removing a pair of shelves so i had better access.

I bought some spray grease to regularly hit these parts so the rusting is less likely to happen again. It probably still will though because of the massive amount of salt put on our roads in the winter.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Coop said:

Blended in, sap wood can be quite attractive. With drawings like that, who needs Sketchup! What will be displayed? 

What gets displayed is in LOML's domain. I just work here.

Any recommendations for a good dye to even out the tone? Color match is not great in this stock, even without the sapwood.

On 3/19/2023 at 2:52 AM, gee-dub said:

Unloaded 10 boxes of Xmas and other Holiday decorations, tableware, linens and who-knows-what-all from the overhead storage in the garage which I have expertly packaged.  This is yet another phase in eliminating wayyy tooo much stuff so that we can gut the area and remodel.

If I am running out of storage, is it worth it to get some storage boxes or just throw the extra stuff away?

9 hours ago, AaronWasab said:

If I am running out of storage, is it worth it to get some storage boxes or just throw the extra stuff away?

My rule of thumb is a 1-2 year rule. If I touch or use a non-durable good in 1-2 years it gets recycled, donated, or thrown. Durable good that have minimal value and consume a lot of space follow the same rule.

Good that I hold onto a bit longer are things like parts or good that have some sort of uniqueness, like paint or remodeling supplies.

• Like 2

On 3/13/2023 at 6:56 PM, B1rdhunter said:

A walnut bed frame is next on my list. Did you use any hardware for the siderails? That is some good looking wood , local sawmill?

Sorry, musta missed your questions B1rdhunter. Bed hardware came from Rockler (https://www.rockler.com/heavy-duty-wrought-steel-bed-rail-fasteners-4-pack-select-size) and the lumber from a local-ish sawmill an hour away (http://www.bigredsawmill.com/). The sawmill is awesome. Family owned, local hardwoods, wonderful people that are always helpful and curious about what you're making. 

Been playing whack-a-mole with stuff around the house the last few weeks. Hoping things will slow down some on that front. Fortunately it's been no emergencies or costly projects.

We sold our old coffee table last week on Facebook Marketplace and the girl reached back out and wants to return it for a refund. :unsure: Not sure what reality she's living in.

• Confused 2

Yesterday when I could get away, I moved rocks.  Big rocks.  I'd estimate 600 to 2,000 pounds judging by how hard the front end loader had to work to pick them up.

There is a lot of erosion on the end of our point.  What was Rip Rap lining the outside of it is now laying flat on the bottom about 10 feet out.

The bank is about 3 feet high.  Our abandoned rock quarry has an unlimited supply of big rocks.  One $455 truck load of Rip Rap might cover the width of the truck, so I'm planning on taking up most of the space with some of our free big rocks before covering those with Rip Rap.  It's a slow go because the rock quarry is a little over 3/4 of a mile from the end of the point, but a 10 to 20  cu.ft. rock makes a noticeable difference.  I probably made 20 trips.

I have to cut away some small Pine trees before I can get to more rocks.  I'll try to remember to take some pictures.

• Like 2