What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

The tree guys worked with the aid of truck lights until 9:00 last night and were back at 5:00 this morning. 
I’m kind of wondering about the validity of the pic of the tornado but we just got word that it was an EF3 with 140 mph . So far, we haven’t heard word of any major injuries, much less deaths. 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 8:11 PM, Coop said:

I’m kind of wondering about the validity of the pic of the tornado

I wondered about it simply because of the guy walking down the street… but didn’t want to be THAT guy that says everything is photoshopped :P

• Thanks 1

Finished putting up one of those metal and fabric temporary garages (10x20) today. We're planning on putting up a larger permanent ag building this summer, but needed some place to park the mower and store hay that wasn't next to my jointer. I was credulous about the quality, and the steel tubing is definitely thin, but overall the structure is better than I expected. Not sure it'd stand up to the snow load some of you out there deal with though.

Also spent the morning vacuuming up fire extinguisher dust from a small fire (no injuries, no damage to the building) in the craftroom. That stuff gets everywhere! Some of the old furniture we were storing in the room will just get trashed though.

• Sad 1

Just gonna give a shot to Coop for providing me great advice on fire protection multiple times. I have extinguishers in my house based off his recommendation but it'd be nice to have another 1 or 2 just to make the run to grab one when needed shorter.

Second Coop do you have any good recommendations for obtaining an extinguisher such that i can teach my wife how to use it? I don't mean walk through the steps but never discharge i mean start a fire (outside) and have her try and put it out. With a previous job i went through an extinguisher use training and it was helpful to be able to use the device.

• Like 1

Great idea Drew! I did the same with my family. A percentage of the agent is waisted by the novice user learning to use the extinguisher during the crises. The agent should be aimed at the base of the fire and not at the rising flame.

There are a couple of options, one of which Mark mentioned above.

You can also contact a fire extinguisher service company in your area and ask if you can have a couple of their outdated usable extinguishers that customers have opted to replace. These extinguishers require a 12 year hydro-test and often companies/owners replace these units instead of having them pressure tested and the service company has to dispose of them so you will be doing them a favor. The extinguisher you probably have or should have, will have a discharge hose and not a simple nozzle so make sure the one you train with, also has a hose as well. 

Another option is to use your extinguisher for the training and then take it to a service company and have it recharged. If you go this route, definitely have it recharged, even if you only discharge a small portion as it will quickly leak the remaining pressure.

• Like 2

The FD will do trainings for businesses or groups but not individuals. I could probably see if we could coordinate a group but that seems like a lot of work....

That's a great idea to reach out to the service company. I"m always worried that these companies aren't going to offer the time of day to non-business requests but i guess it can't hurt.

A past neighbor of mine faced a lot of criticism from random people about growing an apple tree, like a tree. It was probably 35 feet tall, looked like a beautiful shade tree. I always got a kick out of hearing the unsolicited advice he got to "fix" it. Up until that point i never really knew that apple trees were pruned a specific way for various reasons. I just thought they grew like the ones in your picture.

• Like 2

On 2/6/2023 at 5:43 AM, Chestnut said:

A past neighbor of mine faced a lot of criticism from random people about growing an apple tree, like a tree. It was probably 35 feet tall, looked like a beautiful shade tree. I always got a kick out of hearing the unsolicited advice he got to "fix" it. Up until that point i never really knew that apple trees were pruned a specific way for various reasons. I just thought they grew like the ones in your picture.

We've got some gorgeous old orchand trees that are like that, huge mushroom-like canopies that make an almost cave-like area. I do need to prune those a bit for airflow and keeping them from breaking branches.

21 minutes ago, BonPacific said:

We've got some gorgeous old orchand trees that are like that, huge mushroom-like canopies that make an almost cave-like area. I do need to prune those a bit for airflow and keeping them from breaking branches.

That'd be cool i like areas that get a thick canopy like that and feel like caves.

He dealt with a lot of broken branches but not as many as i expected honestly. There were times when a branch would droop 10 feet with the weight of apples and not break. I think this tree was old and not the new hybrids that produce apples 2x the size they should be.

I have a crab apple tree in the back yard that could use some pruning. Every year it produces hundreds of pounds of 1" deep red crab apples that make the most divine apple butter & jelly. That's way more than we can use and it would be nice to have the tree take up a little less sky.

It's  a fun tree to watch throughout the summer because of the proliferation of critters that live and eat there.

• Like 2