What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

1 hour ago, legenddc said:

Back to work today and struggling after being off since Dec. 22nd. 

I got a few hours in that week but was mostly off with a sick 5 month old. Took the week off between Christmas and new years to do daddy daycare. Sitting in my chair at work is incredibly relaxing by comparison....

• Like 2

On 1/3/2023 at 12:25 PM, Chestnut said:

I got a few hours in that week but was mostly off with a sick 5 month old. Took the week off between Christmas and new years to do daddy daycare. Sitting in my chair at work is incredibly relaxing by comparison....

My coworker and I used to joke that we went to work to relax when the kids were really little. You're almost to the point where she can sleep through the night.

19 hours ago, legenddc said:

You're almost to the point where she can sleep through the night.

She is still waking up twice a night most nights. The odd part is the nights she sleeps through I'm still waking up. So now I need to be trained to sleep through the night again....

14 hours ago, JohnG said:

Parent is more in the extremes, more exhausting and stressful at times but also more fun and rewarding at times.
But, multiple times now I have survived a trip to Costco with three kids 5 and under on my own, so that’s my lifetime achievement so far. :P

If Hazel was healthy it'd have been a lot easier. She started off the vacation with RSV that lead to an ear infection. The antibiotics for the ear infection lead to the worst diaper rash we've experienced, this was even changing diapers every 30 min. She screamed worse than the 4 month shots when we tried wiping her. So we kept her out of diapers for 3 days to help clear things up. This isn't a complaint either, it was exhausting and stressful but I got sick baby cuddles for 2 weeks, and some shop time!

• Like 2

Ah the joys of being a parent... Once they get heavy enough sleeping through the night becomes easier and easier. With our first coming 4 weeks early we had to wake her up and almost force feed her every 2 hours, all day. It took about an hour so sleep was in 3 hour increments at best. Never been so tired in my life.

Glad she's recovering from RSV and it didn't become serious. We used to have to do a lot of oatmeal baths with our daughter for her rashes.

Better use some of that shop time for a kitchen helper. Hazel will be using it before you realize.

• Like 1

Forgot to mention the other day I finally found a free wall cabinet for my shop. It's now sitting in my basement where it will get in the way for approximately a month before I can do a total shop reorganization and hang it up.

Anyone know if you can use these doors as a whiteboard?

Product photo of Free cabinet

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 8:12 AM, legenddc said:

Anyone know if you can use these doors as a whiteboard?

We had the same style in my house growing up, and they survived my brother and I and a few rental families without too much staining. That particular laminate/melamine probably works, but I'd stay away from the bad staining colors like red. If you don't mind grubby shop furniture try it out.

On 1/3/2023 at 8:23 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Speaking as an uninformed, uni-child parent, I think the secret is to space them out so the older ones can be 'mini-moms' to the younger. Most kids enjoy taking at least some responsibility that makes them feel adult.

This sounds nice but unless you wait until the first is like 10+, they aren’t going to help a significant amount. My oldest (5) loves to help out with the little one SOMETIMES. She can be very helpful in short bursts, but also still needs a lot of attention and care herself. So it doesn’t at all offset the total work in the end. Less than that, adding time between kids really only extends the amount of time you have a very dependent child to care for.

And if you get to 8-10 when they are starting to get more independent, who wants to go back for caring for an infant at that point? Some people certainly do, but we’ll be ready to enjoy the added freedom at that point. 

• Like 2

On 1/4/2023 at 7:07 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Got bored and finished the experimental, end-grain container. Two coats Minwax 'Tung oil finish', then paste wax. A little editing magic, and here are three views in one photo:

IMG_20230104_182253918-01.thumb.jpeg.40be577ab009d8b02c5f6c2a68897501.jpeg

I really like the patterns of the end grain, even on 'plain' wood lije this red oak.

All without the aid of a lathe. That’s pretty darn cool! Is it large enough to hold corn tortillas?

• Thanks 1

On 1/7/2023 at 9:27 AM, Chestnut said:

Started to get some bad icing on the gutters.

0106231542.thumb.jpg.3ac4d794d3f81cbdaeb2aa03d473cbba.jpg

Seeing this i knew something was wrong we never get this much ice buildup. I was worried our bathroom vent broke and was blowing direct into the attic. Then i remembered that our attic vents aren't tall and with 30" of snow they probably got buried. Either way i had to get on her roof.

0106231534a.thumb.jpg.e78a76db6cb4ffc5b330d3808d0318af.jpg

0106231516.thumb.jpg.1d9413100ea4fd68371eafbfd781cd0b.jpg

Vents were indeed buried there was only 12"-18" of snow at the peak. Dug out the 12 vents then took some pictures it was a good view of our yard.

0106231537_HDR.thumb.jpg.07cef898a9aad87c153d2913f8654e1e.jpg

0106231534.thumb.jpg.fdab7ee636737a0501142afae75b4d4e.jpg

Thanks I better check mine as well we have way more than normal ice build up. Since we have a 12/12 pitch I don't ever recall it being an issue but worth a look. 

Not just today but pretty much since 12/23 been my wife's home health aid. She slipped on the ice and broke her wrist in 4 places had surgery yesterday to install a plate. The surgeon said it went well but said it was crushed worse the the CT scans showed so he was glad he got in there to fix her up. Tough night for her pain wise but hope with each day things get a little better :) 

• Like 1
  • Sad 6