What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

On 12/19/2022 at 9:49 AM, legenddc said:

Was busy this last week around the house. Had to replace our garbage disposal on Friday. Don’t know much about them but I do know water shouldn’t be leaking out of the bottom when the dishwasher is on!

Also installed a new outlet behind our TV. My 7 year old was home and showing interest so she did all the work. Stripped the wires, put the curve in them and tightened the screws. 

8A53A8F1-5235-40A1-A9A7-F405BFA01111.thumb.jpeg.ca7d6eda3d835419ee1dec7a914daaf3.jpeg

If you are like me and suck at drywall, this tool for cutting outlet openings is fantastic! 

Wow that tool is pretty slick!!

Btw must have been the week for leaky garbage disposals I replaced my MIL's for the same exact reason LOL

• Like 1

Had to fix the heat pump on the other end of that house today-the one I replaced the lineset on a short while back. I didn't know how the thermostat was powered, and thought maybe the batteries were old, but when I opened it up it was hardwired to get power, but there was nothing hot in it. 

Opened the airhandler, checked the fuse and it was good.  Checked the output on the 24V transformer and nothing.  Checked the input side and 240V.

Ordered transformer from Supplyhouse for $11.30.  If it doesn't get here Wednesday, I'll have to go to town to get one.  Renters coming Friday to stay through the 27th.

Explaining the problem to my BIL, I found a great video on HVAC low voltage wiring.   Skip to 11:50 to see how the thermostat power supply circuitry works.  It all seems so complicated when you look inside one, but once you understand how it works, it's not bad at all.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Battery powered thermostats are certainly a week point in an HVAC system.  I realized this recently when we came home to a surprisingly cold house.  The thermostat battery hadn't just died, it had leaked, corroding the contacts.  Fortunately, I was able to clean the contacts, but I'm glad this didn't happen while we were out of town.  I've put thermostats with smoke detectors on my annual 'need it or not' battery change list.

I suppose there isn't much that you can do about a leaky battery. My one battery powere thermostat gave me weeks of notice before the batteries eventally died.

I now have a powered unit so I don't have to worry about batteries but that brings it's own issues in firmware updates and wifi security holes. Don't get me started on wifi devices and how they decimate any network security you think you may have had.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, legenddc said:

If you are like me and suck at drywall, this tool for cutting outlet openings is fantastic! 

That is slick for old work. I watched the video and the youtuber makes it seem like 30 seconds is fast. When i was doing new work with a rotozip 30 seconds seems awfully slow. Though that tool probably makes a much smaller mess.

On 12/20/2022 at 10:06 AM, Chestnut said:

That is slick for old work. I watched the video and the youtuber makes it seem like 30 seconds is fast. When i was doing new work with a rotozip 30 seconds seems awfully slow. Though that tool probably makes a much smaller mess.

The mess as far as drywall goes wasn't bad. Using the tool you also get a perfect sized patch if you need it. 

• Like 1

@Mark J, my router is in the right-hand saw wing, and I use the same fence for both. The miter gauge has a fence that can move side to side, so I set the rip/router fence the maximum diameter of my circle, then slid the miter fence against it from the opposite side and locked it down. It seems safest to begin routing from the center and work outward, so this method lets me hit the max diameter correctly and repeatably.

• Like 1

I have a wifi thermostat because it was all that was in stock when ours died. Outside of that, a couple Belkin WeMo smart outlets/light switch for the outdoor lights. I guess when I finally hook up this new router I'll have to investigate how to keep them locked-down as best as possible.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, legenddc said:

I have a wifi thermostat because it was all that was in stock when ours died. Outside of that, a couple Belkin WeMo smart outlets/light switch for the outdoor lights. I guess when I finally hook up this new router I'll have to investigate how to keep them locked-down as best as possible.

I've considered using the guest feature to seperate at least the wireless traffic. I'm not sure if that isolates from the wired networks. Ideally I'd install a bridge save fully isolate an iot network. Just haven't needed to yet. That's also imperfect as it can still be circumvented but is more difficult.

On 12/20/2022 at 2:50 PM, Chestnut said:

I've considered using the guest feature to seperate at least the wireless traffic. I'm not sure if that isolates from the wired networks. Ideally I'd install a bridge save fully isolate an iot network. Just haven't needed to yet. That's also imperfect as it can still be circumvented but is more difficult.

Separate wifi network should be isolated from the wired traffic, but it might depend on the router. ISP provided modem/routers can be pretty restricted. Some also broadcast guest networks without giving you any control over them. It would be better to bring your data from the modem to a wired router/switch and then put a wireless router downstream of that. 

Some routers will also let you block traffic from specific IPs or ranges, so you could manually block any traffic from your IoT network from communicating with your LAN IPs. 

Unless you really want to allow 'guests' to acces the internet via your home wifi, I suggest disabling the guest wifi network, and use access control lists to limit wireless access to only devices for which you provide the MAC  (hardware) address. And always use a computer wired to your router for setup tasks.