What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

On 11/8/2022 at 11:40 AM, BillyJack said:

Looks like I got a torn ligament in my.knee.  Waiting to find out about out patient surgery. Shops out I guess...

How in the world did that happen? Maybe to save us the same mistake. Good luck if surgery is necessary. 

Had a little to spend yesterday on my current 'experimental' project, a bowl carved from a chuck of oak.

This is how the outside looks, right from the bandsaw.

IMG_20221111_073526205.thumb.jpg.ac9f51b36dec67106c3d18fb1c8d8498.jpg

IMG_20221111_073538300.thumb.jpg.2f3a02c9425f85163cf190c9c0368334.jpg

Step in progress now is to shave away the furriness with a chisel.

IMG_20221111_081331171.thumb.jpg.c28d7b0cadf13a007fd56998e809e913.jpg

I keep a 1/2" chisel beveled at 17* as my go-to for paring this way. The sloped and jagged rim is the raw chainsaw cut from when the 'cookie' was sliced off the log. I like the visual interest, but my wife isn't quite on board with the 'artistic flair', so that may change.

On 11/11/2022 at 5:36 PM, BillyJack said:

Back from surgery. Guess years of martial arts, basketball and cabinetry(installation) the knee will eventually need replacing. 

At least these days knee replacement is fairly quick. My mom had her knee replaced at the end of August and was driving 3 weeks later and is up to walking 2-3 miles a day again. Her scar is virtually non-existent too.

• Like 2

On 11/15/2022 at 5:37 AM, wtnhighlander said:

Small project in progress:

IMG_20221115_052720450_HDR.thumb.jpg.625b9a47d2a0842926cc8e5a01a1d07b.jpg

Oversize serving tray, requested by LOML, to contain a typical 1000 pc. jigsaw puzzle. Will include a sheet of 1/8" acrylic to lay over the completed puzzle for display during the season. Any tips on cutting the acrylic to avoid chipped edges will be appreciated.

Looking good. How big doe it have to be for a 1000 piece puzzle?

• Thanks 1

On 11/8/2022 at 8:04 PM, Coop said:

How in the world did that happen? Maybe to save us the same mistake. Good luck if surgery is necessary. 

Me and brother are both in martial arts. He twisted my leg and the next morning I couldn’t walk on it. Over the years I would be installing cabinets and bend down on my knees and my right knee would lock. A little wiggling and it would release  this time the leg was somewhat straight , but awkward and locked in a somewhat bent , but almost straight. It feels like bones are touching, but it’s a ligament out of position. They cut the ligament…

Between years of karate, kung Fu and career installing cabinets my knee cap is worn.  Should have got a desk job:(

On 11/15/2022 at 3:37 AM, wtnhighlander said:

Any tips on cutting the acrylic to avoid chipped edges will be appreciated.

I just take it to a frame shop and pay them to cut it.  It comes out better then anything I have tried with a band saw or table saw.  Even putting blue tape on the cut line it always seems to do some minor chipping.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, gee-dub said:

@wtnhighlander - I really like the serving tray/puzzle tray. I would enjoy your show and tell on how you did the end pieces with the handles. Maybe a project journal?

I may journal the next one, as this was very much a "figure it out as I go" sort of thing, and I took no pictures.  I will say that once the mind wraps around the weird angles, the process is simple and straight-forward. I will probably do things in a slightly different order next time, and maybe rig some clamping jigs.

I would add that I cut the sides to angle out at 12 degrees, which is a bit too subtle. I think 15 degrees would look better.

• Like 1