What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

Glad you're on the way up so soon, Ronn.   Probably a good thing you had the shots.

We got the fourth, combination shots Friday.  We felt a little slow Saturday, but decided to just relax and let our immune systems do what they needed to and stay out of the way.  By Saturday evening, we were back to our normal selves.  400 people a day are still dying.

• Like 1

Don't be surprised if you have some random symptoms over the next few weeks, even if you didn't have them now. I had no respiratory issues when I was sick but over the next few weeks I would randomly get out of breath, even when I was just sitting.

Glad you're starting to feel better!

On 11/2/2022 at 5:40 PM, gee-dub said:

Finished a Kitchissippi chair using Lee Valley's plans to make sure LOML approved.

1553839168_KitchissippiChair.thumb.jpg.c8864a7dc0e13589ed5eb13aa874dd73.jpg

White oak with stainless hardware.  If she's good with it I will make some more for the fire pit area.

Turned out nice. There was some discussion in the past and White oak was an alternative for exterior as being okay to use..

Like anything else, it's about the maintenance. ..

On 11/2/2022 at 4:05 PM, curlyoak said:

I love the chair. Built here white oak is a no no. Over time mold gets under the finish. In 2 years it is mostly black. I replaced a white oak door on my house with sapele. The wood of choice for outdoors around here.

We are really dry out here.  Unfinished white oak is good for many years.  A white oak outdoor bench where I used to work was already gray when I got there. Fourteen years later, still in service.  Unlike teak or Ipe it can get rough after several years.  A flap sander in a drill motor cures that pretty quick.  I have a lot of sepele . . . maybe I should make some of each.  Will the sepele survive without a finish?  I know thick, raw mahogany truck decks last for many years fully exposed.  Hmmm . . . :)

On 11/2/2022 at 7:30 PM, gee-dub said:

We are really dry out here.  Unfinished white oak is good for many years.  A white oak outdoor bench where I used to work was already gray when I got there. Fourteen years later, still in service.  Unlike teak or Ipe it can get rough after several years.  A flap sander in a drill motor cures that pretty quick.  I have a lot of sepele . . . maybe I should make some of each.  Will the sepele survive without a finish?  I know thick, raw mahogany truck decks last for many years fully exposed.  Hmmm .

A long time ago I lived in Northwest Arkansas. And white oak was the wood of choice for outside. I would guess the sapele would hold up her without finish. I have a scrap of sapele I will place outside and see what happens. Passing a test here will be meaningful. I live in a caustic environment.

On 11/2/2022 at 6:40 PM, gee-dub said:

Kitchissippi chair

I never heard that name. I have known this design as Adirondack...

On 11/2/2022 at 8:36 PM, Coop said:

Does it feel and rise as well as you expected? Would you change any thing? 

Certainly chair comfort varies as much as we do.  For me at my now reduced height of about 5' 10" (shrinking with age I guess) it is a good fit.  I listened to my mom and sit up more than a lot of folks so my posture is fairly erect.  I find the angle comfortable; tilted just enough to let you relax without slouching and the curved rise between butt and knees keeps you from sliding out.  You know of what I speak if you've ever had a chair that seems to pour you out as opposed to cradle you.

As to the specific plan, some part alignments rely on the pilot hole pattern supplied.  This generally worked but I learned a good deal by building a single chair first.  The front leg to rear leg / seat support junction is pretty critical.  I will do relational measurements to double check the screw positions prior to drilling on the next ones.  There wasn't really a problem but a minor miss on these locations could telegraph to a teeter-totter problem.  Unlike a standard legged chair, adjustments to the leg height could be awkward on this design.  Better to get it right at the bench than correct it later :)

On 11/2/2022 at 10:02 PM, curlyoak said:

I never heard that name. I have known this design as Adirondack...

Definitely an Adirondack-type design.  The seat is higher and the angle less severe.  The front curves back under which lets you get your feet under you when rising.  Similar look but a different ergonomic design.  I can say that as I get older the easier in and out are a big plus for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful chair, that must be a monster to move good thing you can get it where it belongs and leave it.

13 hours ago, gee-dub said:

Unlike teak or Ipe it can get rough after several years.

Have you tried using water to raise the grain of the white oak before applying finish and puttin git in service? I did that with a pair of white oak rocking chairs that I gave to my pareents and after 4 years they are still pretty smooth. They do get moved inside for winter.

I tried Outdoor defence from the real milk paint company. It has zinc in it which is an antimicrobial. It's based on tung oil so there isn't really a film and yearly applications have resulted in zero mold. Sounds like you plan on going naked though which is also a good option.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 12:36 PM, gee-dub said:

I know that FEMA is already responding to many calls for assistance after yesterday's slight moisture residue deposited by some overnight precipitation in the range of about .0021".

Well compared to you, up in Northern California we had near blizzard conditions, we got .43 in a 24 hour period.  and about 5 days before that we had a 5.1 earthquake about 12 miles east of were I live.  Just a little jiggler by Cali standards.

• Like 2

On 11/4/2022 at 1:50 PM, treeslayer said:

Obeche ? Care to share a picture or two ? 

Your wish . . . .

1576943980_obeche(1).thumb.jpg.868e868955a0a7996c6c964d0ec17a7c.jpg

The guys at the yard called it "blonde mahogany".  The boards in the bin were leftovers from a large order for an obeche wainscotting job for a library in someone's "house" so someone was familiar enough with it to special order it.  I have visions of someone's library that is bigger than my whole house; we have those folks around here :huh:.

I think it looks more like sepele which is the board shown on top of it in the previous pic.  Like sepele, it comes in wide widths.

1147240974_obeche(2).thumb.jpg.829970bbf98d81d6f7c3779d072f1c2a.jpg

My preferred yard sells by the board foot.  The local yard adds a premium for wide widths or thick boards and even sells by length (at a premium) if the material meets some qualifier that I have not quite nailed down.  Be that as it may, I was glad to find the obeche.  It was new to me and will make some small object extra special due to the novelty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1