What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

On 9/15/2022 at 3:04 PM, BillyJack said:

That'sa lotta clamps!

Everything I did today sucked.

PXL_20220916_031527767.thumb.jpg.99953b1ca440b0bd84876900ef81ca4a.jpgPXL_20220916_022244452.thumb.jpg.becd787037c084aabc81fd8522ff3130.jpg

And as I expect is tradition, I had it hooked up less than 5 minutes before accidentally sucking up the DC remote. Thankfully it was just heavy enough not to get past the vertical drop so I'm not picking pieces of circuit board out of the impeller.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/17/2022 at 1:23 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Why I avoid going in to the mower shed in summer.

IMG_20220917_122028.thumb.jpg.b36cb9ec1164875f984c6304085d1f3a.jpg

Those studs are 24" OC, putting that skin at about 4 feet long. And there were two more, almost as long. Probably king snakes, which are not venomous, but finding one unexpectedly will still make you hurt yourself!

Last year I was in my crawl space, looked up, and thought “Hmm, I wonder what that clear braided nylon hose goes to…” then realize it was a snake skin. We have some king snakes that live close to the house but encourage it, since they kill copperheads. 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 5:08 PM, wtnhighlander said:

. Every year the number of people that can legitimately claim Native American heritage shrinks, to be filled by 'wanna-be' folks that would look more at home at the '69 Woodstock music festival.

I don't know how you're determining "legitimacy" but it's likely not for you or I to do. Appearance alone is certainly no way to determine tribal membership. Remember that Blood Quantum was a US goverment imposition.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 8:50 PM, BonPacific said:

I don't know how you're determining "legitimacy" but it's likely not for you or I to do. Appearance alone is certainly no way to determine tribal membership. Remember that Blood Quantum was a US goverment imposition.

Agreed. If Bob Barker can be a legitimate member of the Sioux Nation with only 1/8 genetic Native American heritage, then appearance is no indicator at all. My comment refers not to the blood lineage of the people involved, (although many admit to having none) but to the very obvious lack of any real Native American cultural practices or pride. More and more of the vendors at this event are just local flea market folks trying to sell some poorly made trinkets that would embarass an actual crafts-person of ANY cultural heritage.

On the flip side, there are a couple of really skilled people, that display some marvelous stone knapping and bow making.  It just makes me sad to see the traditions of certain people groups co-opted and diluted, reduced such cheap mockery of the original.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 8:55 AM, Woodworking_Hobby said:
On 9/4/2022 at 9:52 AM, drzaius said:

I have always wanted to try brisket but heard it was hard to do and can easily dry out. Did you just find some recipes online and give it a shot? 

Lots of youtube watching. The channel I settled on was Mad Scientist BBQ. He does a terrific job of explaining the hows and whys of BBQ. I since have smoked some pork ribs and they were perfection.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2022 at 9:21 AM, drzaius said:

Lots of youtube watching. The channel I settled on was Mad Scientist BBQ. He does a terrific job of explaining the hows and whys of BBQ. I since have smoked some pork ribs and they were perfection.

Steve Raichlen has done a lot of BBQ cooking shows for PBS in th US.  

https://www.stevenraichlen.com/

On 9/20/2022 at 8:40 PM, drzaius said:

I'll check that out. I'm afraid I've been bitten by the bug. This weekend I dragged home a 22 lb brisket from Costco. I might have to get me a real smoker.

And what did you smoke the ribs on? This topic has surfaced before and died down. Glad to see it back. 

10 hours ago, Coop said:

And what did you smoke the ribs on? This topic has surfaced before and died down. Glad to see it back. 

I have a Weber Genesis gas grill with 4 burners, using just 1 on the end. Above that burner there is a little firebox that I load up with wood (choke cherry in this case) and build a fire. Once it's going, I can pretty well turn off the gas. It just takes a tiny fire to keep the temperature up. I don't use chips because they burn too fast. The meat goes off to the side so it isn't over the heat.