What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

On 9/27/2022 at 6:34 PM, Chestnut said:

Yep a Forester and a WRX.

I changed the spark plugs and took the forester for a spin .... dash lit up like a Christmas tree.... took the car to the autozone to read the code. Misfire on cylinder #2. Looks like i got a bad plug, or most likely the parts guy that dropped it on the floor actually damaged it.

I'm not a big car guy, but a $20 bluetooth ODB reader was one of my best early purchases. If nothing else it avoids the hastle of swinging by the autoparts store. Particularly as someone who considers a decade old car pretty darn new.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BonPacific said:

I'm not a big car guy, but a $20 bluetooth ODB reader was one of my best early purchases. If nothing else it avoids the hastle of swinging by the autoparts store. Particularly as someone who considers a decade old car pretty darn new.

I've thought about those from time to time but I'll be honest this is the first time in 15 years I've needed to run a code.

Have they gotten better? I remember the code readers used to just spit out a number and you'd have to do the research yourself. Autozone gave me a printout explaining the problem and offered solutions to fix the problems. It was pretty neat.

I've also heard those BT OBD readers can be left in while driving and offer boat loads of information that the computer generates, like missfire counts, load conditions, a read out of every sensor.

• Like 1

You may spend a few more bucks to get the extra detail to avoid asking Google, but having the code reader at hand can save a lot of trouble, especially if the car won't start. I think, with most recent vehicles including a digital graphic display of some sort, that access to the OBD info should be a standard feature.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 7:58 PM, Ronn W said:

I am in VA.  My brother-in-law and I spent the day moving furniture and household items for my mother who is moving in an assisted living facilty from here apartment.  It really is quite nice.  My sister spent the afternoon with Mom getting checked in (paperwork). Mom had seen the tiny studio type room without furniture and has been very reluctant about the whole thing.  This is not an easy thing to do.  When Mom finally came up to the room with my sister we had the furniture and lamps and TV in place in an arrangement that she was familiar with She smiled and brightened up considerably.  I will stay for a couple more days to hang some family pictures and help with any changes she might want to make her feel at home.  All in all it's going reasonably well so far.

Ronn where in VA are you? If you're up by DC and need anything let me know. Best of luck getting your mom settled. 

On 9/28/2022 at 7:46 AM, Chestnut said:

I've thought about those from time to time but I'll be honest this is the first time in 15 years I've needed to run a code.

Have they gotten better? I remember the code readers used to just spit out a number and you'd have to do the research yourself. Autozone gave me a printout explaining the problem and offered solutions to fix the problems. It was pretty neat.

I've also heard those BT OBD readers can be left in while driving and offer boat loads of information that the computer generates, like missfire counts, load conditions, a read out of every sensor.

Looked at mine the other day. I need to buy the pro version of the app to see real time data. At least it's only a one time $3.99 purchase. I'm sure there are other apps out there. Would have bought it just to see but with where the OBD port in my car is I'll knock it out.

How's the car seat fit in the WRX? I really want to get a new (or new to me) car and was thinking something WRX or Civic size now that we're about to bump the kids up to the next round of car seats. I usually need the driver seat all the way back so I might just be stuck with bigger vehicles.

Got in a (very) few more minutes of work on the 'mystery' project today. After finishing the aforementioned bridle joints, I prepared for glue up. Starting with a fresh coat of protective paste wax on my collection of "clamping squares".

IMG_20221002_141258687.thumb.jpg.2ab111d5b11e4b0747acd6c764a6bf47.jpg

Then, getting creative with horizontal surfaces to make a triplet of 2x2.5 ft. frames go together.

IMG_20221002_145152335.thumb.jpg.2f8e78d7478f824f56ca6425acf916e5.jpg

On 9/30/2022 at 9:16 AM, legenddc said:

Looked at mine the other day. I need to buy the pro version of the app to see real time data. At least it's only a one time $3.99 purchase. I'm sure there are other apps out there. Would have bought it just to see but with where the OBD port in my car is I'll knock it out.

How's the car seat fit in the WRX? I really want to get a new (or new to me) car and was thinking something WRX or Civic size now that we're about to bump the kids up to the next round of car seats. I usually need the driver seat all the way back so I might just be stuck with bigger vehicles.

If your forward facing, a friend of mine has 3 car seats across the back seat. For rear facing the space behind a seat all the way back would be limiting. I'm Cremona sized so the car seat fits great. I have it behind the driver seat and there is a few inches of space between the car seat and driver seat. Our forester is tighter somehow.... The car seat is against the driver seat when i have it in my position.

I haven't driven my WRX in a while. I check my records and I've driven a whopping 130 miles since the beginning of May. I'm kind of worried about the gas in the tank.

• Like 2

On 10/3/2022 at 8:28 AM, Chestnut said:

I'm kind of worried about the gas in the tank.

I was reading a reputable automotive column in our Sunday paper a few months back.  He was saying that the way gas is manufactured with the additives and such, that there doesn't need to be a concern with gas sitting in the tank or fuel lines as it was in the past.  

I have never had issues with my Miata's but I do make sure they are full and do add a additive like Stabil when storing them over the winter. I am not a mechanic but my brother is and says condensation is the biggest issue and if you fill the tank it goes a long way towards solving that.

• Like 2

By the time you bought a couple sheets of plywood, casters and drawer slides you probably didn't spend much more for an already assembled toolbox. You've got me on the lookout for some cheap upper cabinets. Already struck out at one Habitat for Humanity Restore. Will have to try the other one in a couple of weeks.

Impossible to compete against a well run factory. I build custom out of a small shop. I was asked to build some Adirondack chairs. I declined. A very likable and comfortable chair. Been around for a long time. There are factories that build them by the thousands. Some good some bad. I can make 10 chairs cheeper than one. The factory can buy a train load of lumber etc and drive the cost down. The factory doesn't do what I do. They cant. And I cant build tool drawers like the one gee-dub  bought for the same money. We each have a purpose.

On 10/7/2022 at 11:09 AM, curlyoak said:

Impossible to compete against a well run factory. I build custom out of a small shop. I was asked to build some Adirondack chairs. I declined. A very likable and comfortable chair. Been around for a long time. There are factories that build them by the thousands. Some good some bad. I can make 10 chairs cheeper than one. The factory can buy a train load of lumber etc and drive the cost down. The factory doesn't do what I do. They cant. And I cant build tool drawers like the one gee-dub  bought for the same money. We each have a purpose.

What do you do that they cant?

On 10/5/2022 at 7:46 PM, legenddc said:

By the time you bought a couple sheets of plywood, casters and drawer slides you probably didn't spend much more for an already assembled toolbox. You've got me on the lookout for some cheap upper cabinets. Already struck out at one Habitat for Humanity Restore. Will have to try the other one in a couple of weeks.

The problem....a metal roll around base cabinet will always be work more than a shop made roll around cabinet. A HF toolbox is worth more than a shop built toolbox. Maybe not to the person who made it, but to anybody else buying it..