What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

18 hours ago, gee-dub said:

I was a bit of an audiophile back in the 70s and 80s.   The high end stuff is all gone but I still have a grip of random gear.  With Father Time robbing me of my more discerning hearing my musical needs are not what they once were.  Streaming music at a reasonable volume will do :lol:.

While relocating "stuff" I stumbled over a pair of Polks that were a step or two up from my current rear channel speakers in the shop.  A random piece of particle board yielded some quick speaker stands and . . 

My apologies in advance to the neighbors.

You and I should be neighbors :)

On 8/2/2022 at 2:38 PM, woodprox said:

I woke up, ate breakfast, and then started working on a project. I took a break for lunch, and then continued working on the project until I finished it. After that, I relaxed for a bit before going to bed.

What project?

Spent all day yesturday emoving old automatic valves and put in manual water shutoffs. I'll  probably take the automatic valves and see if I can rebuild them and replace lo ater.

I've got three sprinklers in the back I think when they replaced the cable  they cut the main line out there.. guess I'll have to run it and see what bubbles up.. 

20220803_084036.jpg

• Like 2

I finally turned on our sprinklers this summer. We've had a lot more regular rain and they haven't been needed until now.

I used to have to replace a handful of heads each spring, but 5 years ago I replaced all the Orbit heads with Hunter and Rainbird heads and nozzles. Haven't had a single one fail yet. And I've got more accurate coverage. But the crappy Orbit controller is dying and I need to replace it. Recommendations anyone?

Thanks,

On 8/1/2022 at 1:40 PM, gee-dub said:

My apologies in advance to the neighbors.

On 8/2/2022 at 8:30 AM, drzaius said:

You and I should be neighbors :)

I'd join that neighborhood. I have a pair of really nice 6.5" speakers hooked up to a 500 watt per chanel amp in my shop. Amp has been at 25% and resulted in my ears hurting with hearing protection on.... :) My speakers are a niche car audio brand but they work awesome regardless.

On 8/3/2022 at 1:39 AM, JohnG said:

What project?

I am currently working on a small cabinet that will be used to store spices. I am using a variety of woodworking techniques, including cutting, shaping, and joining pieces of wood together. I am also using a finish to protect the wood and give it a nice appearance.

• Like 1

Water and sewage is expensive here in Odessa. Some that have inground sprinkler systems wont run because it's so high. I recently asked the city about a separate water meter and they said I would still be charged sewage. I asked about I asked about averaging my water over 12 months. Again they said no. Pay as you go. My daughter just put in a sprinkler system. 7 miles from me there and they can pay it over 12 months..

On 8/3/2022 at 3:21 PM, woodprox said:

I am currently working on a small cabinet that will be used to store spices. I am using a variety of woodworking techniques, including cutting, shaping, and joining pieces of wood together. I am also using a finish to protect the wood and give it a nice appearance.

Share some pictures. What joinery? Drawers or shelves?

• Thanks 1

On 8/3/2022 at 9:07 AM, drzaius said:

I finally turned on our sprinklers this summer. We've had a lot more regular rain and they haven't been needed until now.

I used to have to replace a handful of heads each spring, but 5 years ago I replaced all the Orbit heads with Hunter and Rainbird heads and nozzles. Haven't had a single one fail yet. And I've got more accurate coverage. But the crappy Orbit controller is dying and I need to replace it. Recommendations anyone?

Thanks,

My Hunter controller bit the dust this year (17 years old) and I went with the b-hyve but its an Orbit product so you may not be interested. It got fairly good reviews but my choices were limited becuase I need to manage 14 zones and most don't cover that many. So far (about 2 months in) I have been happy. I really like the app that comes with it since the controller is in the shop, now I can manage it from anywhere via the app. The only thing I don't like is that it appears to use the forecast to manage the watering and since they are rarely right I have had to override it a few times. I'm sure I can shut that off just haven't had the time to dig into yet. FWIW I have had really good luck with the hunter heads as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BillyJack said:

Water and sewage is expensive here in Odessa. Some that have inground sprinkler systems wont run because it's so high. I recently asked the city about a separate water meter and they said I would still be charged sewage. I asked about I asked about averaging my water over 12 months. Again they said no. Pay as you go. My daughter just put in a sprinkler system. 7 miles from me there and they can pay it over 12 months..

Here they base our sewer bill on the water consumption in the non-watering months. Everything's averaged over 12 monthly bills.

11 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I'd join that neighborhood. I have a pair of really nice 6.5" speakers hooked up to a 500 watt per chanel amp in my shop. Amp has been at 25% and resulted in my ears hurting with hearing protection on.... :) My speakers are a niche car audio brand but they work awesome regardless.

What!... WHAT!...  NO, I can't hear it!  My Dust Collector is on!

• Haha 1

I have a friend that I fly with sometimes. He and his pilot buddies call it a $100 hamburger as that’s what they figure it cost them to fly to these small airports for lunch. We flew into Brenham TX (home of Blue Bell Ice Cream) and they were having a glider competition. 

• Like 2