What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

I do not know about y’all but this heat has been killing my shop time, motivation, and forward progress!!!  My garage has been hitting 92 by mid morning and topping out around 98 in t the afternoons. Not optimal conditions for woodworking for me at least. Do you guys just push through the heat or take a little shop downtime like me in the summer if you can?  I would much rather work in the cold when I can throw a jacket on or turn the heater on in the garage. 

• Like 1

I’m lucky that my basement shop doesn’t go too far in either direction. My last shop was an uninsulated and unfinished garage, so it would get very hot and very cold. In the winter I used a 240v heater, and in the summer I used a window AC unit to make it bearable. I didn’t have a window to install it in, so I made a low rolling cart for it and would put it at the mandoor. I put up a couple hooks over the door and would hang a moving blanket to reduce the amount of hot air coming back into the shop. 

• Like 1

My basement workshop is always cold.  At the height of summer it might get to 67*F.  In winter it can be 8* or 10* colder.  I do have 4 small windows so in summer I open these.  In winter I run a 240V heater and wear an old fleece vest (no sleeves at the lathe) under my smock.  Doesn't help the feet, though.

My dream shop is grade level with big windows, a heated floor and AC.  And it's attached to the house.

• Like 1

I live in sub tropical Florida. With our high humidity the feel like number frequently gets to high 90's to over 100. So I limit working in the shop to as early as I can get up. But if I am going to turn on the router or the thickness planer I wait until 8 am. By 10 or 10:30 I'm done. That lasts until at least mid October. The saving grace for the hot summers is that my mango tree bares fruit. Of all the pleasurable events in life eating tree ripe top hybrid mangos ranks second. You guess what is first.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 4:07 PM, Chestnut said:

We welcomed our daughter Hazel into the world this morning at 2:14am.

So kinda sorta has nut in the name? The name originated from the Hazelnut tree. Following your post I put the name on the list and Megan fell in love with it. Now it's on the birth certificate so it's official.

My mom's name was Hazel and she's the sweetest person I've ever known. So, if there's anything in a name...

• Like 2

Serviced my tractor. Changed the engine oil, oil filter, and hydraulic filters. Started pouring down rain before I could check bolt torques, but I’ll do that one evening this week. Got to try out my new Ridgid 18v grease gun. Need to put a lock n lube tip on it but otherwise it’s pretty nice. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 8:48 AM, BillyJack said:

I was fortunate when I purchased my home in 99. It already had a heat and air in the garage for the shop.Law doesnt permit this now...

Seriously why the heck does anyone else care if you heat and cool your own garage? That's crazy.

40 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Seriously why the heck does anyone else care if you heat and cool your own garage? That's crazy.

Probably for the same reason I was not allowed to put a toilet and sink in mine.  They are a afraid I that I might rent out the space as an apartment.  That is what my county told me.

• Sad 1

On 7/17/2022 at 9:28 PM, Just Bob said:

Probably for the same reason I was not allowed to put a toilet and sink in mine.  They are a afraid I that I might rent out the space as an apartment.  That is what my county told me.

That makes sense if you think about it. It protects us from our neighbors and vice versa. Four cars in the driveway and two in the yard but it still feels unfair. 

On 7/17/2022 at 7:28 PM, Just Bob said:

Given how many badly-done garage conversions I've seen on even million-dollar+ houses, this could also just be about protecting people from themselves. Most garages weren't designed to be living spaces, and the mold or structure rot that can be caused are very real dangers that might catch the next owners.

On 7/17/2022 at 8:44 PM, pkinneb said:

I run a furniture and cabinet shop from it.

Did it make you mad I have an acclimated shop?

Is this why people don't come back?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, BillyJack said:

How you like to work is your own.  I run a furniture/ cabinet company from this heated /cooled space. I'm acclimated all year I care and my customers care. Did you forget your meds?

I think you misunderstood entirely. Why does anyone else care how I work? The “you” in the statement referred to a specific person. 

That said, I think some communities are using such ordinances to keep particular cultural stereotypes from happening. I would not go quite so far as to call anyone I do not know a racist, but some laws make me wonder. 

I can also see some places being worried about the energy usage, when a person may not ever be in that space to work like some of us. 

• Like 2

On 7/19/2022 at 1:48 PM, B1rdhunter said:

What happens if you leave a running vehicle in a garage with a central heating and cooling system. Cold air return and carbon monoxide/exhaust fumes could be detrimental to life.

Good point. This was an issue in my old house, as the furnace was in the garage, intake and all. I ended up adding a filter-cover to keep my sawdust from clogging it up.

On 7/19/2022 at 3:48 PM, B1rdhunter said:

What happens if you leave a running vehicle in a garage with a central heating and cooling system. Cold air return and carbon monoxide/exhaust fumes could be detrimental to life.

You mean if I had a car in there. Never had vehicles parked in there. Not long after they did this they stopped because people ran vehicles with the door shut.

On 7/19/2022 at 1:28 PM, Tpt life said:

I think you misunderstood entirely. Why does anyone else care how I work? The “you” in the statement referred to a specific person. 

That said, I think some communities are using such ordinances to keep particular cultural stereotypes from happening. I would not go quite so far as to call anyone I do not know a racist, but some laws make me wonder. 

I can also see some places being worried about the energy usage, when a person may not ever be in that space to work like some of us. 

His comment was unnecessary...

• Confused 2

On 7/19/2022 at 4:09 PM, BillyJack said:

His comment was unnecessary...

Sorry you feel this way it was not my intent to offend upset anyone. My comment was re why the city, county, etc would care what a home owner does in his or her garage. I thought, and still think, it is crazy that said entity could tell me that I can't heat and cool a space. While I think some of the comments posted since make it more understandable in that they are trying to keep people from hurting themselves. 

• Like 2

Like I said ...My house was built in  1999, it is common to have a heating/cooling register in the garage. It was eventually eliminated. In my opinion this was eliminated because idiots cranking there car with the remotes..

I run additional heat to the garage in the winter time because I'm cold natured.

Sounds like a productive day! I like those kinds of days off sometimes.

Got organized the other night to start on the doors of my tv stand but my daughter tested positive for Covid this morning. No camps for the rest of the week for them and most likely we'll be catching at work once they go to sleep so no shop time for a little.

• Sad 2