What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

I've never seen tree tubes before.  Are they used to get a straight tree?  Other purposes?

What John said. They also do a good job promoting the tree to grow up for the early years instead of branching out. The walnut trees i plated in 2008 grew very little vertically for the first 2 years. Once I put them in tubes they added 24" vertically.

There is a downside. The truck is still really small at that point so you still need to keep them in the tube for a long time or they tip over due to being top heavy. The upside to leaving them in the tube is the truck is protected from buck damage.

I'll have to look into that and watch Cremona's video. We don't have any land to plant a tree but I've been contemplating transplanting some of the little oak trees on our community property since they just keep cutting them down and not replanting. I think the tubes would alert them to my activities though.

It's crazy to see all the leaves in the tube too.

On 6/16/2022 at 6:53 AM, Chestnut said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XWXZ62/ref=twister_B077YCLM1J?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I remember these being less expensive...

I put them over the tree when they were planted.  The trees were this big when planted, minus the leaves.

mr-tree-plant-and-care-for-your-oak-tree-sapling.jpg.b86b7b073a2d842a91f0e692a90c3869.jpg

Not my actual trees I haven't planted white oak.

Thanks!! That looks just like what I have in my bark :)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, legenddc said:

Looks like you'll be busy for a while!

Our first ever Rockler opened up this week. I might have to make up an excuse to go out that way soon to check it out.

That's a dangerous situation, my friend. I have a Lee Valley 5 minutes away from work and it's a constant battle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/24/2022 at 11:03 AM, drzaius said:

That's a dangerous situation, my friend. I have a Lee Valley 5 minutes away from work and it's a constant battle.

It's right next to where we go buy bulk food every 4-6 weeks too so those could be expensive weekends.

Just got back from my youngest's "graduation" from preschool. Some of that savings might be diverted to Rockler...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/25/2022 at 1:59 PM, Chestnut said:

I also finished my first can of paste wax. My wax rag barley fits now.

0625221320.thumb.jpg.25410a6faa2fc9b4ea28d9d8d1d1fa85.jpg

I’ve looked at HD, Kroger and Walmart for Johnson’s paste wax and was about to order it from Amazon. I didn’t know that Minwax made some.  Thanks! 

• Like 1