What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

12 hours ago, Harambe said:

It's my first one. I've got the 2500lb butt log too. I air dry everything . Badly . I might try banding on these.

Banding helps a lot. I use ratchet straps from home depot or lowes can't remember which one, but they were $2 each so if the weather ruins them oh well... It's nice having ratchet straps because I can tighten them as the pile shrinks.

edit: They are $2.54 now. I should go grab a bunch more for the logs I have to mill in the next few days.

I was wondering how that hoop would hold up. You going to install another one with better anchors to keep using it to pull off the logs?

Bribery or even willingness to help goes a long way with your neighbors. I'm sure you'll be fine. You can always offer wood scraps for their fire pits too.

27 minutes ago, legenddc said:

You going to install another one with better anchors to keep using it to pull off the logs?

I celebrated when it went down. It was too close to the driveway and was always in the way for pulling trailers around my house. I also always got nervous when backing out of the 3rd stall. I have to swing out and often clip the edge of the grass.

The only down side is i need to dig out what ever is left in the ground.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tom King said:

f you were closer, I'd help you build a log arch for that trailer.  What is the axle rating?

I thought long and hard about that but moving this large log has me realizing that I don't want to mess with bigger material than this.

Axel is rated for 3,500lbs the all aluminum trailer scales out around 400 lbs. I'd say there was at least 1,000 lbs of tongue weight so at the limits for the trailer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Robby W said:

I'm sitting on an airplane bored. Hopefully, we are going to buy a house in North Carolina this trip. Then I can bore everyone with the tales of moving and setting up shop. We are leaving most of our furniture behind to save on moving costs, so I will have lots of projects when I do get things up and running. Kinda scary doing this late in life, but I am looking forward to life in a new state and environment. 

@JohnG - I think we are going to be near each other. 

North Carolina is a nice place, you’re going to love it, especially after living in California. What part of NC you headed for?

On 5/20/2022 at 11:04 AM, Robby W said:

@JohnG - I think we are going to be near each other. 

Yes fairly close! I much prefer NC to CA. I actually prefer the humidity to the dry heat of SoCal. Funny enough, I’m back in CA this weekend for a wedding. Haven’t missed it and this visit doesn’t make me want to stay.

Do you like bluegrass music? The Kruger Brothers, very skilled musicians from Switzerland, live in Yadkinville and hold a music festival there. Merlefest, a huge bluegrass festival is a bit west of Yadkinville.

• Like 1

Reassembled one of those Rubbermaid plastic garden sheds for the third time.  It is at least 25 years old and has never been properly put back together since the last time it was moved.  We get high winds and if it can weasel its way into a gap the air pressure will blow the thing apart.

Flattened the area where it will stand and laid in some pavers.  Assembled with a gap filling adhesive and strapped it tight to cure.  Just being put together right and standing on a solid platform should solve the issue.  The gap filling adhesive happened to be leftover from something and so I used it up.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Coop said:

I just texted Brendon, a former member on here, for those that have been here that long. He said that he got banned from here  some while back for some reason, which doesn’t surprise me for those days, but sends his regards.

Good to hear. I think I just about got banned myself back then :(

1 hour ago, Coop said:

I wish we had the weather for peonies and hostas. 

Both grow very well here. The hostas will spread on their own and I occasionally have to clear them back. Peonies also do well and can be expected to live 60 - 80 years with reasonable care.

Hostas are everywhere in many of the forested areas in the mountains.

• Like 1

The first time I ever saw/noticed hostas was outside of Birmingham during a visit. When I returned home, I found that a local nursery chain that sold them so I bought a dozen of so plants. By the time July and August rolled around, an emergency room horticulturist couldn’t have saved them. My first experience with peonies was when I visited @RichardA and his wife Linda in Tennessee. They had some beautiful flowering plants! I checked the internet when I got home before investing in them. 

• Like 1