What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

Today, I rented a little stand on, tracked trencher to dig for the waterline going down on our point.  I think I dug about 900 feet of trench about a foot deep. https://www.barretomfg.com/equipment/trenchers/rtk-track-series/

I was also going to dig the trench for the big wire running down there, but the ground was so dry that it was a fight to get the 12" deep trench dug.  The wire needs to be 24", and it would have taken two days in this hard ground.

Also, as you can see by the picture, it was impossible to dig a straight line.  The tracks were pretty worn, and it wanted to slide downhill, so I had to keep stopping, and resetting the direction.  The line ended up pretty scalloped, but I don't think too much for the PVC pipe. 

I don't want the wire trench that crooked though.  That wire is pretty expensive, and it would be too hard to accurately measure in a crooked trench.  I'll just rent a mini excavator when I get ready to dig for the wire.  The trencher today was more fight than I wanted with tree roots, whereas a mini-ex will have little trouble.

I have the water ditch dug all the way to the end of the point, with several branches off to the side for hydrants to water grass with.  We'll just use county water until I get the new dock built.

IMG_3913.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/30/2022 at 9:11 PM, BonPacific said:

I bodged together a longer top-rail on our porch railing, to make it a little nicer to use long-term.

Also picked up 24 sheets of t1-11, wallet crying the entire time.

With the market down more than 900 yesterday and wood prices the way they are, I bet you there were tears! Where will you use that much T1-11? 

On 4/30/2022 at 7:17 PM, Coop said:

With the market down more than 900 yesterday and wood prices the way they are, I bet you there were tears! Where will you use that much T1-11? 

It'll be the interior walls for my shop. Or at least the three sides that aren't garage door. Crazilly, the orange store had the best price of anywhere I could find local.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tom King said:

Nice theater!  It's a shame it looks like young people don't enjoy it.

When I go to Calgary Philharmonic concerts or to see Calgary Opera, I'm always a bit surprised to see all ages well represented. And attire is everything from blue jeans to tuxes.

• Like 1

I am in what was once the band instrument capitol of the world. I play with any orchestra that will take me, and teach young ones to play. I see a fairly diverse audience here, but most young people would never listen to that kind of music anywhere else. The concert is just an experience. 

On 5/2/2022 at 11:29 AM, treeslayer said:

Young folks could use a course in music appreciation, I like everything about the symphony 

My wife and I have always enjoyed that type of music but when we had a young family we started buying season tickets to San Jose Symphony's Summer Pops series as a way to force us to get a baby sitter and go out on dates.  The summer series was always done with guest conductors from all over the country.  One of the features of the summer series was before starting each piece the conductor would point out certain parts or instruments to listen to or pay particular attention to.  Over time it was like going from AM radio to high end stereo gear with how we learned to listen to music.

• Like 2