What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

On 3/28/2022 at 9:31 AM, legenddc said:

Would love to know what you did at Dulles if you're able to share. I've flown out of there a lot over the years.

I worked for a MEP engineering firm, and I was in the mechanical side. We worked on several projects at Dulles, often nearing the construction drawing stage only to find out they wanted to turn an escalator 90* so we’d go back and redesign. Though we charged by the hour and had an “open tab” with them so it wasn’t ever a loss. 

Once went there for a site visit and got dropped off at an under construction site beyond the runway. When it was time for us to return, our one contact that was licensed to cross the runways was out for a 2+hr lunch. We ended up walking back through the underground tunnel toward the main terminal, past several concrete and welding crews, and finally emerging somewhere in the depths of the baggage conveyors. After wandering around for a bit we found an exit to the main ticketing area, where we ran into one of our bosses. He was a bit confused why/how we got there, but he was running late for a meeting so he didn’t ask many questions. 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 9:39 AM, drzaius said:

Speaking of baggage handling rooms (room seems like an inadequate word because is covers acres) the part I was in at YYC was so plugged with conveyors & equipment that you could hardly get through it. 

We may or may not have needed to duck under and climb over some conveyors. I’m sure we did not take the “proper” route.

One of my coworkers later went on another site visit where they actually were working in the baggage area. He took a video of one of those round tube-like military duffle bags rotating in place where two conveyors met.

• Haha 1

What a coincidence. Mine does the same thing. To complicate matters, mine does that while I am in the shop but using the remote and moving to the room the collector is in, it doesn’t do it. I probably have a ghost buster problem! 

On 4/9/2022 at 5:04 PM, JohnG said:

Got this idea from Tom’s boom sprayer thread. Playing with different placement options. Also got a couple extra aux tanks. 

A7ECCDBE-C4CF-4C8A-94E3-5FD3A25E8A28.thumb.jpeg.61ca76378ab1daffd160d6b541927997.jpeg

We had 63 acres in the country outside of Lufkin, Tx that had been in the family for years. We had a couple of tractors and a pond and house on it. Due to sibling greed, we ended up selling it to a neighbor who moved the house off and clear cut it to raise cattle. I sure miss those tractor days. It was work but fun work! 

• Sad 1

On 4/9/2022 at 7:44 PM, Tom King said:

I think you're going to need to build a rack for it over the gear head.  That's going to be a lot of weigh wagging the tail, plus it's not exactly out of harms way back there.

Do you have a welder?

I did just get the 15gal version to keep the weight down a bit. I’ll fill it up and see how it handles tomorrow. I don’t back the mower up under trees/brush much, but will certainly consider moving it closer to the 3pt hitch.

I’m currently without a welder but can either remedy that situation or use the welder at work. We have a decent machine shop that I can get access to if needed.