What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

On 3/17/2022 at 1:04 PM, Woodworking_Hobby said:

Nothing too exciting today, but I finished up the Moxon vice that I made from some hard maple that I had left over from my bench built. I really like the vise and it will help a ton at holding boards in the vertical for any needs. I just need to add the little tabs to the side but it’s ready to be out into use. 

4D0ACD22-F0A2-4D61-BB18-FC32A2D621D0.jpeg

D1CE7A92-6655-428F-A045-39EC2390E94E.jpeg

Nice!

Drove to the store bought a 10mm bit for my DF700. When i got home I attached the bit and made a test plunge to take some measurements. The domino jumped and then stopped cutting. The tip of the bit had broken off... got back in the car drove to the store to do an exchange. They only had 1 bit so they begrudgingly gave me a return. Drove home. 2.5 hours have passed i got nothing done with my afternoon other than destroy my motivation to work in my shop....

• Sad 5

On 3/18/2022 at 3:12 PM, Chestnut said:

Drove to the store bought a 10mm bit for my DF700. When i got home I attached the bit and made a test plunge to take some measurements. The domino jumped and then stopped cutting. The tip of the bit had broken off... got back in the car drove to the store to do an exchange. They only had 1 bit so they begrudgingly gave me a return. Drove home. 2.5 hours have passed i got nothing done with my afternoon other than destroy my motivation to work in my shop....

Dang, that stinks. 

• Like 1

I was vacuuming the house, went out to empty the dust bin for the vacuum and had to wade across a stream of water coming from the water heater.  So I had to change from house cleaning mode to plumping mode.

Old water heater was 14 years old and cost $442, new one, being the same size and BTU's was $976. WHOOPEE!!!

• Sad 4

17 hours ago, Chet said:

Old water heater was 14 years old and cost $442, new one, being the same size and BTU's was $976. WHOOPEE!!!

Do you change the annode rod every other year? I'm going to start doing that diligently. My 9 year ol d heater suffered a puncture not that long ago.

Also I'm assuming nothing got damaged from the water?

Not very productive day here although I had some time alone and I cannot resist when I see a nice log just laying there.  I guess it is just in my nature to want to see if I can take that old weathered log and kick out a nice looking board. Usually I would get in trouble as “there are more important things to do in the house than mess with an old log”. But finally today I had some time and I thought these guys needed their chance. I cut a bit off the end of each log to get rid of any surface cracks and dirt and then sealed them up real good before I try to cut them up later.  IDK maybe I will get at least a small box or pencil holder out of them, but at least it is something and I know where the wood came from and can point to the spot.  I think the longer one is walnut but not sure on the smaller one. 

3D2F3F89-24B8-4773-AC13-D469EA0157E9.jpeg

79B5BE10-160E-4FF5-A037-49847B11D559.jpeg

• Like 2

Today I had to tell the insulation guys to stop, tear out what they'd installed, and to cancel the job entirely.

I don't think there's a mistake they could have made that they didn't during this job. At least they didn't burn down the shop, though seemingly not for lack of trying.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, BonPacific said:

Today I had to tell the insulation guys to stop, tear out what they'd installed, and to cancel the job entirely.

I don't think there's a mistake they could have made that they didn't during this job. At least they didn't burn down the shop, though seemingly not for lack of trying.

This just leaves me curious for more details. I'm not sure how someone messes up insulation, it's not like it takes any sort of brains to figure out. I'm inclined to say it takes brains to figure out how to do it wrong....