What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

On 4/14/2022 at 2:14 PM, JohnG said:

I had a ‘15 CX-5 and the infotainment system was infuriating. I got excited when Mazda announced that they were adding Apple Carplay to current and prior models, but by the time I sold the car I still hadn’t heard any more about it.

Did you have navigation? We have a '15 without navigation. Basically it's a back up camera display and lets us connect our phones to listen to music/direction. 

On 4/14/2022 at 2:42 PM, legenddc said:

Did you have navigation? We have a '15 without navigation. Basically it's a back up camera display and lets us connect our phones to listen to music/direction. 

Same. Nav button was there but didn’t have the module. Not sure if I was just (un)lucky, but the bluetooth connection and Pandora service were very unreliable. Bluetooth would drop out and fail to reconnect, sometimes when I’d start the car the Bluetooth menu would be gone until I started the car up the next time, and the Pandora service would constantly crash. Forgot and re-paired my phone dozens of times. Tried factory resetting infotainment system several times, etc.

Tried several times to get Mazda to fix it, they blamed Johnson Controls. Called Johnson Controls and they blamed Mazda. Eventually they both concluded that the last supported iPhone was 5s (2013 release!) so I was SOL. Some bluetooth modules had a TSB and were supposed to be replaced, but they told me that mine wasn’t included.

On 4/14/2022 at 3:32 PM, JohnG said:

Same. Nav button was there but didn’t have the module. Not sure if I was just (un)lucky, but the bluetooth connection and Pandora service were very unreliable. Bluetooth would drop out and fail to reconnect, sometimes when I’d start the car the Bluetooth menu would be gone until I started the car up the next time, and the Pandora service would constantly crash. Forgot and re-paired my phone dozens of times. Tried factory resetting infotainment system several times, etc.

Tried several times to get Mazda to fix it, they blamed Johnson Controls. Called Johnson Controls and they blamed Mazda. Eventually they both concluded that the last supported iPhone was 5s (2013 release!) so I was SOL. Some bluetooth modules had a TSB and were supposed to be replaced, but they told me that mine wasn’t included.

I forgot we used to have those issues. Must have been the IOS software because we haven’t had any problems for years. 

On 4/15/2022 at 9:17 AM, Mark J said:

Bring back cars with buttons.

just saying

I like my car that has no buttons :P, well it actually does have a few buttons.

On 4/15/2022 at 11:29 AM, legenddc said:

I forgot we used to have those issues. Must have been the IOS software because we haven’t had any problems for years. 

Not sure what the issue was. At one point I did have a problem when water got inside a wiring harness and corroded the contacts and wires, causing a number of electrical gremlins. Could have been related potentially. 

On 4/15/2022 at 10:51 AM, JohnG said:

I like my car that has no buttons :P, well it actually does have a few buttons.

I like having buttons for the important things that I can use with out looking. Volume and switch songs are nice. Also the heated seat and steering wheel button is used ALOT.

• Like 2

@drzaius, let me see if I follow this?  You clamp a straightedge to the underside of a panel, the slide that straightedge along the edge guide you've bolted to the table.  Sounds like you moved the fence from the TS top to the bottom of the panel.

How big a panel can you manage this way?

37 minutes ago, Mark J said:

@drzaius, let me see if I follow this?  You clamp a straightedge to the underside of a panel, the slide that straightedge along the edge guide you've bolted to the table.  Sounds like you moved the fence from the TS top to the bottom of the panel.

How big a panel can you manage this way?

Yes, basically, it's squaring up and clamping a 'fence' to the bottom side of the board & running it against the edge guide on the saw. I saw in on a youtube a while ago but can't remember which one. I had to cut a couple of pieces that were 1700mm x 700mm and it was easy as pie. To support the left side of the board I used the WorkMate (another win for the WorkMate!) with a board clamped in at the height of the saw table. I could easily see it handling stock quite a bit bigger. The 'fence' can be lots wider than the piece being cut for extra stability.

It was at least as fast as the circular saw and straight edge, and the cut quality was superb. I can't believe I didn't know this was a thing.

Highly recommended.

Edit: it might have been Stumpy Nubs.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Coop said:

I’m in the shop today with all doors open and I faintly see some movement outside the door. There is a 8’ length of 4” pvc in front of my garage and upon looking inside, I see this feller. I’ll take him to a local wildlife refuge in the morning. In the mean time, I gave him some dry dog food.

50F30DFB-905F-4F62-80BA-19A8684434A5.thumb.jpeg.4859eaef70b1a97d4fc154fa62741f31.jpeg

So what kind of bird is it?

• Haha 1

On 4/19/2022 at 8:54 AM, Chestnut said:

That's an interesting trick I wonder how close the side of my table saw is to being parallel with the blade. The trouble is I have a track saw so it's not likely that I'd use that I guess....

I have a track saw, too, but what I've run out of is floor space to set up my track saw :huh:.  I suppose I could set up the track saw on the TS top and outfeed table.  Cutting panels is not a day to day problem for me, but the TS guide is an idea to keep in my back pocket.

On 4/20/2022 at 7:51 AM, Tom King said:

There are a bunch more not too far away.  He must have fallen off his Mother.

I took the dog out for a last visit last night before going to bed and the dog treed an adult. This morning, the bucket was turned over and the baby possum was gone.