What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

1 hour ago, treeslayer said:

Yes it has @Chestnut, and cold and rain, and now 80’s and high humidity 

Our forecast this week is similar. Luckily next week is more seasonal temps, mid to high 60s. I'm hoping the warm stretch jump starts the growing season most of my flower beds are a couple weeks behind where they normally should be.

• Like 1

M-W-F.    I've been doing the same maintenance workout routine since I was 44.    I only work each muscle group once a week.  I'm not trying to build, just not lose.  Monday is Back, Wednesday Chest, and Friday Legs.  Other smaller muscle groups are worked in with those.  Monday for back allows plenty of recovery time before squats on Friday.

• Like 1

I do a M-W-F maintenance routine as well, but each day is full body. Monday is "continuous tension", one set with moderate weight, veeeery slow, 10 secod reps. Wednesday is same weight and motions, but a 3-round circuit of 10-12 reps at moderate "1 breath per rep" pace. Friday is cardio, same motions but little or no weight above body, and 100 continuous reps of each at a good clip.

Squats, calf raises, toe touches, trunk twists, pushups, dumbell rows, overhead presses, side laterals, tricep extensions, bicep curls, wrist flexes and extensions.

Each session takes from 25 to 40 minutes. I started lifting to strengthen a back injury in my early twenties, and haven't stopped for more than a two week vacation since.

• Like 1

My cell phone has been trying to tell the gummint the answer to this very question, every minute of every day and I choose to go in here and just type it out for them lol.. 

Today I hefted a fresh sweet gum mantle piece up in to the hayloft to help keep the bails off the floor. 

IMG_20220513_181935571_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

So I got denied on a good portion of the trees i wanted. Also there was a bunch of political fiasco where a city council member was literally hugging the boulevard trees to save them. I did manage to get a nice chunk of silver maple.

0514221024_HDR-01.thumb.jpeg.97673d699f0447f8df7d66a1c42533b6.jpeg

0514221216-01.thumb.jpeg.358c7d8141792f8e8ea489f778a236ba.jpeg

I"m not happy with the tree service people. It really does highlight the disconnection between what woodworkers want and what is desirable in the mill work and window industry. They buried all the crotch sections and left me this nice strait log :(. I might be able to get one of the white oak trees from a different area. That has yet to be seen. I'll try and take some unloading pictures.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 8:48 PM, wtnhighlander said:

That cant has some sweet color on the fresh cut! I've heard that sweetgum is cantakerous in the kiln, moving all sorts of ways. Any truth to that?

It's my first one. I've got the 2500lb butt log too. I air dry everything . Badly . I might try banding on these.

Weird. My image uploaded upside down. The gum on my pair of 6 x 16 x 12' pine benchtops, on sawhorses that claim 1600 libs each 

IMG_20220515_083536691_HDR.thumb.jpg.230c635f6ba6ebee35d14d58544acbd5.jpg

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mark J said:

I didn't know your father was an author.

He has a few self-published works. Something he got serious about after 'retiring' from his career as a commercial illustrator. An 80+ year lifespan provides a surprising number of life experiences to draw stories from.

You can look up ISBN 1387933159 for info on the latest one, if you are interested.

• Like 2