What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

How thick are those slabs you cut?

Seems like there's a decent size investment into it but if you're able to get free/cheap logs I'm sure you can recoup that fairly quickly once it all dries. Hope you have a big enough yard to store them all and enough space for all that sawdust!

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 2:32 PM, Chestnut said:

So it has been 2 years and a month since i got the Chestnut trees in the mail. So far they are growing wonderfully. I originally planted 4 trees. The first year one tree was killed by Japanese Beetles consuming the entire tree. So now I'm down to 3.

0613221730a(1).thumb.jpg.60df6c67b271b2783ae1de326d05bda3.jpg

0613221730(1).thumb.jpg.4d5c32f83662e68e45d6032fce74a4bd.jpg

The trees are in 60" tubes so from 4" tall to 63" tall in 2 years that's not bad.

The 3rd tree is struggling a bit and is only around 40" tall. I didn't take a picture cause it just looks like a tube. I have a few trees growing from seedlings and sometimes the dominant leader just dies and a new one has to take over. This is what I think happened with the 3rd tree. I have 2 maple seedlings, 2 walnut seedlings, and 2 black cherry seedlings that are all around 60" tall. It's fun to watch them grow during these stages.

Drew what do you call the tubes and where can you get them? I saw Matt Cremona used them on a video as well. I have several small oaks I've tried to transplant but with all the wildlife out here I've had zero success so far. The squirrels bury acorns in my bark around the house all the time so I end up with 10-12" oaks quite often since the oak wilt is killing the old trees I'd like to successfully transplant some of these.

13 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Drew what do you call the tubes and where can you get them? I saw Matt Cremona used them on a video as well. I have several small oaks I've tried to transplant but with all the wildlife out here I've had zero success so far. The squirrels bury acorns in my bark around the house all the time so I end up with 10-12" oaks quite often since the oak wilt is killing the old trees I'd like to successfully transplant some of these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XWXZ62/ref=twister_B077YCLM1J?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I remember these being less expensive...

9 hours ago, Coop said:

Drew, have the trees been in the 60” tubes since you planted them? Do they wrap around the tree or fit over it.

I put them over the tree when they were planted.  The trees were this big when planted, minus the leaves.

mr-tree-plant-and-care-for-your-oak-tree-sapling.jpg.b86b7b073a2d842a91f0e692a90c3869.jpg

Not my actual trees I haven't planted white oak.

• Thanks 1