What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

How do you handle this situation?

I just powered through. I hit a small nail that was mostly rusted the next pass. There was still more metal so i went exploring with a drill bit and chisel. Got all the metal out this slab will just have a defect hole.

0527221000.thumb.jpg.45f615aa1a9614caa2bb308eb4ccb922.jpg

The metal. Chain had minimal to no damage. 4 swipes with the file and it was good as new.

0527220935.thumb.jpg.6c505ba741a928701ed9b4af0332dab3.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 3:41 PM, JohnG said:

Had a fox kill 12 of our 15 chickens. Found a loose section and dug under it. While my wife was looking for remains, I saw the fox heading back up to the pen, probably hoping for the last three. 

We had a eagle grab one of our chickens yesterday evening.  I wasn't happy about it but it was pretty impressive to see the big bird fly off with a 5 lb bird in it's talons.

• Like 2

I cut several Domino mortises today to glue up a 5’ long panel. No need to do a dry fit on something this simple? Luckily it involved only 4 of the 8 boards required. On the glue up, I noticed that the mortise on the last two boards were lower on the edge than the previous ones. With glue applied and in clamps, I just let it go. I found that the tightening knob on the height adjustment was not real tight and it varied. Something I will check in the future after I rip cut the boards apart. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Coop said:

Does the infeed support not tilt down with a load? 

I may have to add a locking screw to avoid that sort of thing, but the supports only extend about 8" beyond the table. I don't expect to be resting anything on the support alone, just use it for extra stability.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 6:36 AM, Mark J said:

And I could swear @gee-dub posted a similar idea.

Yep.  Couldn't find the thread but here's some pics.

TS Sled Support (6).jpg

TS Sled Support (7).jpg

TS Sled Support (8).jpg

TS Sled Support (10).jpg

If the weight is too great a roller stand can be brought into play.  Take care not to get your feet tangled up in it though.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 8:36 AM, Mark J said:

If you were using that to support a rip cut, intead of a sled, I imagine there would be a limit to how close the support could be to the fence.  

Correct.  Since my version straddles the fence tube it is right in the way.  Mine primarily dodges the miter slots to allow the sled to move freely.

On 5/29/2022 at 6:30 AM, wtnhighlander said:

Can you provide some use cases for a tall fixed fence

What comes to mind most is cutting the bevel on the panels for raised panel doors.  I also saw a guy using a tall fence to cut tongues and grooves with his dado stack in was looked like maybe 5/4 stock 8 or 9 inches wide.

• Thanks 1