What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

Thanks Chet. We had an Ace hardware within a qtr of a mile from my house and another about 2 miles away. Lowes and HD moved in and they shut their doors. Not only did we loose the products but we lost the home grown knowledge and customer service. Pissed me off!!!! 

• Like 1

Fought off some hornets last night while putting down some sealer on our deck. They managed to find their old nest inside the roof of a bay window which is strange since they're not supposed to return to old nests. I sprayed it a couple of times but since it's inside a cavity there's not a lot to spray. Any tips to get rid of them without getting a contract with an exterminator?

Best to spray at dusk when most of them are present (more exciting that way, too!). Some hornets are active at night so you don’t want to wait until too late. If there’s an area where they are always landing to walk into an opening, you can try to get some Sevin dust or other powdered insecticide on that service. They will track it throughout the nest with their feet. 

On 6/30/2022 at 4:27 PM, JohnG said:

Best to spray at dusk when most of them are present (more exciting that way, too!). Some hornets are active at night so you don’t want to wait until too late. If there’s an area where they are always landing to walk into an opening, you can try to get some Sevin dust or other powdered insecticide on that service. They will track it throughout the nest with their feet. 

Thanks for the tip. I have some insecticide to use in a sprayer that I will try tonight. The traditional bee/wasp/hornet can isn't doing anything. Will pick up some Sevin dust tomorrow if I still see them flying around.

I got a couple of them last night with a tennis racket. :D Probably wouldn't be able to get them all like that without getting stung. 

I had one of those but returned it since it didn't seem to work on the hornets and I didn't trust my kids around it.

Seems like the Talstar P Insecticide mix I bought a couple months ago has done the trick. Hopefully they don't come back next week while we're on vacation. Assuming we're in the clear I'll put some low-expansion spray foam in the hole to make sure they don't come back.

Actually Wed an Thurs but cleaned up trees downed in a storm while we were out of town.

566210869_TD1.thumb.jpg.ba4d0e918bdcd1fab2a51349d630da8b.jpg

1467357443_TD2.thumb.jpg.91188a7dbc4d02bf32a738412d18241b.jpg

691409312_TD3.thumb.JPG.3dab9c73d6d2dea5ca35d97a09b7c7a3.JPG

Unfortunately they stopped making this fence so not sure how that will work out. I really don't want to file a claim since we just got the estimate back from State Farm for hail damage from a storm in May and it it was like $70K :o

I keep reminding my self many have it worse and these are definitely first world problems but I could really go for a non eventful year lol

• Sad 2

I've got 4 that will have to come down 3 are nice up 12-16' so I'll let you know before the tree guy comes to drop them (probably late oct / nov timeframe) and you can run out and if your interested we'll figure out timing. The cost will be free but we'll have to figure out how to get them to your house my tractor isn't big enough to move the trunks but slabbed we could get them out with it.

• Like 1

@gee-dub, do you just plough the DT grooves out with the router, or do you make a straight relief cut with router or TS first?

I planned to make a new TS sled with a similar hold-down system, but debated the benefit of just laminating bevel-edge strips onto a substrate, over cutting grooves into the sled platform directly. Yours looks pretty clean.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 3:28 AM, wtnhighlander said:

@gee-dub, do you just plough the DT grooves out with the router, or do you make a straight relief cut with router or TS first?

I planned to make a new TS sled with a similar hold-down system, but debated the benefit of just laminating bevel-edge strips onto a substrate, over cutting grooves into the sled platform directly. Yours looks pretty clean.

I plan the layout based on the ZCI and fence positions.  I then cut the first two or three dados at the router table.  In this case the dado in front of the fence position and the dados on either side of the ZCI that will go in.  I then use the hand held router with a guide to cut the rest of the dados using those starting points.

1839363205_MatchfitSled2(2).thumb.jpg.156a56345f465797657e332c68c46997.jpg

2092345273_MatchfitSled2(3).thumb.jpg.6f773223141dc83c7adc763a576b0413.jpg

The dados are cut just a bit shy of full depth.  I then follow with the dovetail bit in the same guide jig taking extra care where the intersections are to keep the corners clean.  It is a lot of hand routing but worth the effort in the long run to me.  I have an old thread that lightly covers this here:

Seeing how I just kind of slammed through the build I will go add these pics and post through the rest of the current effort /  process there.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, pkinneb said:

I've got 4 that will have to come down 3 are nice up 12-16' so I'll let you know before the tree guy comes to drop them (probably late oct / nov timeframe) and you can run out and if your interested we'll figure out timing. The cost will be free but we'll have to figure out how to get them to your house my tractor isn't big enough to move the trunks but slabbed we could get them out with it.

I was going to ask, if your ok with me slabbing the logs at your place before moving them it'd make everything easier for both of us. Let me know. That time of the year is good weather wise. Too warm and running the saw is no fun.

• Like 1