What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

This one I wear on my chest for i think 10 days. If it goes good, no Eliquise. If it goes bad I'm on Eliquise the rest of my life

My neighbor behind me has some rotted cedar steps. They are about least 10 years old. I havent talk to her yet and she has had several look at it. I told the neighbor beside me I'd replace them for cost. Heard nothing yet

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 10:38 AM, BillyJack said:

This one I wear on my chest for i think 10 days. If it goes good, no Eliquise. If it goes bad I'm on Eliquise the rest of my life

Good luck.  Hope there are no "events". I am in a similar situation. I choose to go with warfarin, but getting my blood tested every 4 weeeks is a pain.

Whew, what a few days. Kid #1 got Covid Thursday. Friday I got it and kid #1 seemed to be doing better. Saturday my mom got it (last saw us Wednesday). Kid #1 was fully recovered, Kid #2 got a fever and I was still burning up. Kid #2 was all better on Monday and I'm only moving thanks to meds.

I don't enjoy sitting around all day so the last few days have been especially rough. It's nice to see others making progress though.

@JohnG - Thanks for the tip on the Sevin dust. I put some of that out after the hornets came back and that's been the end of them. Saved me from having to sign a year long $100+/quarter contract with a pest control company.

• Sad 2

@legenddc sorry you’ve had a rough week but good news the kids are doing well. The couple times we got it, the kids luckily had very mild and short symptoms. 

Glad the Sevin worked for you. Got the tip from my beekeeping professor in college. (Of course, he only advocated using it for problem wasps, and never honey bees!)

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 10:19 AM, BillyJack said:

My wife has had all her shots and I've had none. She got Covid and gave it to me . She had it worse than i.

All the data suggest that she would have had it much worse if she didn’t have the shots. There’s some genetic or other component that make some people susceptible to severe symptoms. You must be a lucky one that is more likely to have mild symptoms. 

• Like 2

On 7/24/2022 at 3:15 PM, JohnG said:

Added refrigerant and we are back in business, for now. Evap coil has a leak, but hopefully we can get a new coil before all the refrigerant leaks out again. 
Maintenance guy at work has a license to buy the refrigerants, so I might get more from him if needed. 

Well, that didn’t last long. Lennox isn’t making the coil any longer, and I’m doubtful any leak stop products will work on a leak this bad. 

$$$$$

• Sad 2

On 7/26/2022 at 10:51 AM, JohnG said:

Well, that didn’t last long. Lennox isn’t making the coil any longer, and I’m doubtful any leak stop products will work on a leak this bad. 

$$$$$

Having gone through a ac/furnace replacement 2 years ago i can attest you have the correct amount of dollar signs :(

Hopefully you can find a solution without replacement!

I haven't had to do this yet, but I do such brazing.  The inside of the tubing (any HVAC copper tubing) needs to be purged with a small flow of Nitrogen to prevent oxides from forming on the inside while it's being heated with the torch, but it's really pretty simple if you have the tools to work with.

I have plenty of sharp tools that would cut the aluminum fins, and fold them back down when finished, rather than picking them out like this with pliers, or melting them back with the torch.

I looked at several coil repair videos, and liked this one the best.  I just use Windex for finding such big leaks, with the Nitrogen purge.  If you can't find a leak like that, stop leak will fix it.  The system is typically tested to 500 psi with the same Nitrogen hookup once the repair is done.  I'd test it before putting another charge in it.

I hope your leak is easy to find, and easy to fix.  I wouldn't even take the coil out of the unit if you can get to the leak from the outside.

edited to add:  Old units had fairly thick copper tubing, so you could rely on such a repair being good for a long time.  More modern units are like TV's and Refrigerators, and they have about figured out how to build them out of nothing, so the tubing is Very thin, and chances of such a fix not opening up another one somewhere else are a flip of a coin whether it's worth trying or not.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 12:06 PM, Ronn W said:

Good luck.  Hope there are no "events". I am in a similar situation. I choose to go with warfarin, but getting my blood tested every 4 weeeks is a pain.

Eliquise is $1600 every three months

Luckily my insurance covers it. 

On 7/26/2022 at 12:23 PM, Tom King said:

If it leaked out that fast, you're right, leak stop is not going to fix it.  Sorry about not being able to get a replacement coil.  How old is the unit?  Did you see where the leak was? 

This unit is a 2012. Our 1994 is still chugging along, surprisingly. 
I would have imagined they would still be making the coil for a 2012, but with all the supply chain and labor issues I wouldn’t be surprised if they are directing all available materials and labor toward the newer units and parts. 

Didn’t see the specific location of the leak, no.

I was thinking condenser coil, but I went back and read your previous posts, and see it's the evaporator coil.  I guess that's pretty hard to get to inside the air handler?

How do you know it's the evaporator coil, and not somewhere else in the system?  All ours are producing a Lot of condensate in this weather running normally.

Only ten years old seems like it should still be okay.

On 7/26/2022 at 10:17 AM, BillyJack said:

Eliquise is $1600 every three months

Luckily my insurance covers it. 

Ain't that the rub in life. Different condition, but I've got $1000/month injections that I'll probably need for the rest of my life. Scariest part is that it's only technically half covered by most insurance, and the other half is a "manufacturer coupon" that they could revoke at any time without warning.

I would have imagined they would still be making the coil for a 2012, but with all the supply chain and labor issues I wouldn’t be surprised if they are directing all available materials and labor toward the newer units and parts. 

Is it a mini-split? I know there have been some big improvements in those over the last decade, so it might just be that the designs have changed enough that they don't have a need for a similar-enough part. The materials value for those coils are also high enough I doubt you could find one in a scrap yard/dealer.