What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

It's down hill after the prep work, primer and caulk.  I talked to my cousin.in Alabama last week. He talked to me as to what he charges in Alabama to paint. I think I'll make up a sign and put it in.the front yard for next year. If They bite , they bite if not it's just fishin i.guess...lol

• Like 2

I sprayed the finish coat on it too, this morning.  I just forgot to take a picture.  There is still some brush work to do because I didn't get real close to the glass, but Pam says she'll do that.  It took me about 15 minutes to spray each coat, and more than half that time was moving the rig around.  I didn't change the 25' hose that I use inside houses.

I'm old school with a roller. I feel better pressed in, than layed on..

Some painters around here will spray, but back roll..

I have stucco on my house. Too many paint jobs and stucco doesn't look good anymore... I may get one more paint job on my house before it's done and I'm done. This will be 3 paint jobs in 23 years and a final..

The trim needs touch up , but the body is in great shape. And no, I'm not talking about my neighbors wife...lol

• Haha 1

Trigger discipline at the edge sander. I was shaping a dummy block for a tablesaw sled. I was very conscious of where my control grip fingers were but had the middle finger of my right hand dangling out in unawareness-space somewhere. The exact location of said finger was brought into sharp relief as the belt, moving at 65 feet per second, snagged my fingernail and flipped my finger out of the way.
Sander-Middle-finger.thumb.jpg.9a7123913f8a5643b68b0a865ca163ec.jpg
The abrasion to the tip was incidental and quit bleeding quite quickly with about 2 minutes of direct pressure. The meat under the nail seems to have gotten traumatized and is bruising (read in a Bill and Ted voice) most excellently. I iced the thing for a while and have been back to work but, as always, safety, safety, safety. Let's be careful out there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

On 7/15/2022 at 3:38 PM, treeslayer said:

@gee-dub things can an do happen in an instant

I have a sign up in my shop both as a reminder and it has a little humor, but mostly a reminder.

"EVERYTHING GOES WRONG FASTER WITH A POWER TOOL"!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

We welcomed our daughter Hazel into the world this morning at 2:14am.

So kinda sorta has nut in the name? The name originated from the Hazelnut tree. Following your post I put the name on the list and Megan fell in love with it. Now it's on the birth certificate so it's official.

Wonderful news!  Congratulations!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, gee-dub said:

Trigger discipline at the edge sander. I was shaping a dummy block for a tablesaw sled. I was very conscious of where my control grip fingers were but had the middle finger of my right hand dangling out in unawareness-space somewhere. The exact location of said finger was brought into sharp relief as the belt, moving at 65 feet per second, snagged my fingernail and flipped my finger out of the way.
Sander-Middle-finger.thumb.jpg.9a7123913f8a5643b68b0a865ca163ec.jpg
The abrasion to the tip was incidental and quit bleeding quite quickly with about 2 minutes of direct pressure. The meat under the nail seems to have gotten traumatized and is bruising (read in a Bill and Ted voice) most excellently. I iced the thing for a while and have been back to work but, as always, safety, safety, safety. Let's be careful out there.

Oh, Glenn, I feel your pain. I did the identical thing on my left hand about 5 or 6 months ago. Took a little more skin of the end and the fingernail was all black from the base to about half way up. The knuckle joint was so swollen that I couldn't bend it for almost a month. I don't think the nerves will ever be right on the finger tip and the nail still has about 10% to go  before it's whole. 

Honestly, getting a bit of a hit from the table saw or bandsaw would have healed up a lot quicker. Sure hurt like a melonfarmer!

Never underestimate the appetite a sander has for human flesh.

• Like 2

For cuts and nicks I keep on hand golden seal pulverized root. Amazing herb. After a wound is cleaned apply it. It will sting a little. It will stop the bleeding and close the wound faster than any other remedy. After dental work that leaves me bloody I apply golden seal. The taste is not friendly but since I know the healing powers I don't think about the taste.   Golden seal is also available in capsules, for the purpose of healing ulcers. A good item for a medicine cabinet or a first aid kit. It can be made into a tea but I would choose the capsules due to taste.

Another item I keep handy in the shop for a serious emergency is a wired phone.  We have wired service as part of the internet package so I keep a handset next to the lathe.  We don't use it for anything except calling 911.  Easier to use with a bloody hand than a slick cell phone and gives 911 your identity and location.   

• Like 1