What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

On 3/22/2022 at 12:41 PM, Ronn W said:

Moved the cars out of the  garage, laid out poly on the floor and moved all the first floor furniture into the garage.  Carpet installers coming tomorrow.

That sound like a fair amount of work.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2022 at 9:03 PM, Coop said:

Hopefully the belt was just so old, it gave up and not due to something causing it to break. 

Seems to be the most likely circumstance. I think this planer might be pushing 20, and I doubt it was ever replaced (it's technically my fathers, but has spent the last decade in my shop on permanent loan). The rollers were also having some gripping issues before it snapped, which would match up with a stretching/straining belt.

Belts are always fun. Good luck getting it back on. Hopefully that helps the rollers

i was trying to finish my trim yesterday but we had crazy weather. Sun and almost 50 and then rain, sun, snow/small hail, sun and warm, rain, etc. etc. During a rain spell I did fix the bathroom sink.

The goal for the day in between kids stuff is  to finish everything big and messy so I can bring the tools/trim back downstairs and see our dining room floor again.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 10:52 AM, drzaius said:

Lots of technical and logistical issues had to be resolved.

Did Security take all your drill bits and sharp things?

I've worked a few places where security is high and it's always interesting. I always learn something new about infrastructure that i never did before.

I love the things security causes issues with sometimes. Always good to hear stories about it.

Got all the trim installed yesterday except for a few little pieces we didn't have the right color trim. House is most back together, no tools on the kitchen floor or extra pieces of trim. Will slowly keep patching holes and touching up trim this week at lunch or when the kids are in bed. Eventually I'll get extend the door jambs back to the floor but I need to get the house back together and my shop cleaned out first.

On 3/28/2022 at 9:11 AM, legenddc said:

I love the things security causes issues with sometimes. Always good to hear stories about it.

I knew an air marshal that soon after the liquid limits went into place had TSA confiscate his tube of toothpaste. 

TSA: I’m sorry sir, you cannot take this on the plane due to security reasons.

Air Marshal: Ok, what about my firearm?

TSA: Oh that’s fine.

Air Marshal: … ok.

• Haha 2

On 3/28/2022 at 9:19 AM, JohnG said:

I knew an air marshal that soon after the liquid limits went into place had TSA confiscate his tube of toothpaste. 

TSA: I’m sorry sir, you cannot take this on the plane due to security reasons.

Air Marshal: Ok, what about my firearm?

TSA: Oh that’s fine.

Air Marshal: … ok.

That toothpaste will get you every time!

Would love to know what you did at Dulles if you're able to share. I've flown out of there a lot over the years.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Did Security take all your drill bits and sharp things?

I've worked a few places where security is high and it's always interesting. I always learn something new about infrastructure that i never did before.

No, tools were no issue at all. Whatever is needed is okay. But even though the area we were working in was closed to the public, we couldn't leave our tools out of our sight for even a minute. There's a security checkpoint we have to go through before going airside, and it's just like when going through for travel. Except they were okay with my pocket knife and our tools.

Even though the airport engineering team clearly know and are on friendly terms with the security staff, they still thoroughly check every piece of documentation and everything has to be exactly right.