What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

1 hour ago, treeslayer said:

Looks like an awesome time Drew, what’s for supper ?

Didn't catch anything.

46 minutes ago, Coop said:

Damn that looks cold. The DeWalt has always amazed me to, but even more so without a battery. :D

It wasn't bad 20 degrees out. After the past -15 degree days it felt warm. The battery was in my pocket to keep it warm. When they get cold they lose a decent amount of power.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 8:19 PM, Coop said:

Were you actually parked above the water? How thick was the ice? 

Coop you wouldn't believe what they take out on the ice up hear LOL $70K pickups and $40K ice houses all day long...

I've never done it but my cousins all have Ice Castle fish houses and they say at least 18" but I suspect as cold as this winter has been its 2 to 3 feet now

• Sad 1

On 1/29/2022 at 9:48 PM, pkinneb said:

Coop you wouldn't believe what they take out on the ice up hear LOL $70K pickups and $40K ice houses all day long...

I've never done it but my cousins all have Ice Castle fish houses and they say at least 18" but I suspect as cold as this winter has been its 2 to 3 feet now

That’s really wanting to fish! And an 8” hole? The fish lodges in the hole and you go back in the spring to retrieve it? Different strokes ......:D

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Coop said:

Were you actually parked above the water? How thick was the ice? 

Yes, it was about 24 inches.

Fish are long and skinny so they fit thorough small holes easily.

2 hours ago, Coop said:

That’s really wanting to fish! And an 8” hole? The fish lodges in the hole and you go back in the spring to retrieve it? Different strokes .....

Yes, and that’s exactly why I didn’t push back, and actually encouraged her to pick the more expensive oven. I’d be more upset if we spent 30% less now, and then spent the full amount again in a year or two later when she still wished we got the nicer one to start with. 

• Like 2

Didn't get much woodworking done this weekend but I did fix a leaky sink, fix another sink's stopper valve, switch two light switches (fan/light control), determine my daughter's fan motor is dead from the $60 Lutron light switch, and finally pulled that switch back out and replaced it with a new one.

That should be a fun Home Depot return.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, JohnG said:

Electricians came this morning. Instead of just removing the existing 240v 30a oven circuit, they had the genius idea (or maybe I’m just an idiot for not thinking of it) of shortening jt by 5’ and terminating it in a box in my shop and then ran a separate new circuit for the oven. Now I have an extra 240v line in the shop :D

Why didn't you ask! That's how i created the dedicated circuit for my dust collector. I pulled the oven wire through the floor and terminated it in a box for the DC.

Though my range and oven are gas... I'd not have it any other way.

On 2/1/2022 at 10:16 AM, Chestnut said:

Why didn't you ask! That's how i created the dedicated circuit for my dust collector. I pulled the oven wire through the floor and terminated it in a box for the DC.

Though my range and oven are gas... I'd not have it any other way.

I hadn’t thought about it since I was focused on the oven install part. I’m glad he suggested it! It’s in a pretty good spot for running to my DC when I upgrade to a 240v unit. 

I know everyone loves gas ranges and ovens, but (1) my wife doesn’t and (2) we don’t have a gas line coming to the house. We have a propane tank for our gas logs and grill, but I don’t want a bigger tank and don’t want to run more gas lines through the house. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JohnG said:

We have a propane tank for our gas logs and grill, but I don’t want a bigger tank and don’t want to run more gas lines through the house. 

Oh yeah your more out in the country I don't know why but I thought you lived in a city. On propane i can see how that isn't as much of a benefit and more of a pain.

That's interesting that your wife doesn't like it. Mine was hesitant at first but once we switched she's converted. She was mostly cautious about the whole open flame aspect which I understand. I think if I had induction cook tops I could switch from gas, but using cast iron on traditional glass top electric just isn't ideal. I love my cast iron pans.

On 2/1/2022 at 8:59 AM, Chestnut said:

Oh yeah your more out in the country I don't know why but I thought you lived in a city. On propane i can see how that isn't as much of a benefit and more of a pain.

That's interesting that your wife doesn't like it. Mine was hesitant at first but once we switched she's converted. She was mostly cautious about the whole open flame aspect which I understand. I think if I had induction cook tops I could switch from gas, but using cast iron on traditional glass top electric just isn't ideal. I love my cast iron pans.

It's often what you're familiar with. If you haven't used gas before it's not as attractive. I'm with you on the cast iron. Induction is alright, but I've just never fallen in love with it in use, in part because I just don't cook in the way it supports best (rapidly changing the cooking temperature).

I think gas ovens are less popular since they can be a little uneven and the extra moisture produced can affect some dishes. But I do a fair amount of bread baking where the moisture is a boon, and an extra steel plate and convection fan more than take care of any unevenness in heating.

• Like 1

We had gas ranges at our last two houses and she just didn’t like them. I’m indifferent between gas/electric having used both about 50/50 throughout my life.

I’ve noticed more difference between cheap/decent appliances  than from gas/electric. 

• Like 1

I really like our gas oven but they seem to be going out of favor and legality in some areas. Not trying to start a political debate here, just stating what's out there.

Our oven had one of those flat top griddles and it got scratched up pretty quickly. Really enjoy the cast iron one we use now. Actually been meaning to experiment more with our cast iron pans.

We got an air fryer/toaster oven combo machine and we've been using that a lot more to cook with. It's so quick and doesn't need to be preheated. Will be really nice in the summer to keep the oven off more and not heat up the house as much.