What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

On 1/2/2022 at 8:14 PM, treeslayer said:

Those sure look good @Coopespically to us folks up here in the frozen north, shoveled snow at minus 1 here this morning 

I would just have to buy enough food and water in November  to get me thru these months and leave the truck parked, a semi hibernating period. I can’t even imagine! I say this every year, you guys are welcome to stay with us until you can find a place to move into! 

3 hours ago, Chet said:

Ross I looked in to this about ten years back and if I remember you can do it with regular waterborne paint.  In the long run I did it the easier way and remodeled to whole bathroom so I never really tried it.

After a bit of Youtube research, it appears that fiberglass boat paint wins out over the tub&tile paint kits available from your local home center. Most demonstrations were using Rustolem Topside boat paint, but they no longer seem to offer a pure white. Total Boat does, though. If I give it a go, it will have to wait for warmer weather, as either option requires forced ventillation. I'll be sure to report the results, if I try it.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 7:53 PM, treeslayer said:

Looks great! I wish I could get half that much done in a day, never had shop envy but yours may push me over the edge, well done

+1

Your shop doors don’t have fluted door casings? :D

Very nice indeed! 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Coop said:

+1

Your shop doors don’t have fluted door casings? :D

Very nice indeed! 

Hey, so do mine!

But only because they were salvaged from a 1980s-era house that a colleague was remodeling ...

Paul, that paint color on the door looks suspiciously like GF 'Gulfstream Blue' milk paint. Perhaps with a coat of High Performance over top?

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2022 at 10:32 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Hey, so do mine!

But only because they were salvaged from a 1980s-era house that a colleague was remodeling ...

Paul, that paint color on the door looks suspiciously like GF 'Gulfstream Blue' milk paint. Perhaps with a coat of High Performance over top?

I actually got the color and trim idea from one of the hand tool YouTubers but can’t remember who. It’s Sherwin Williams and only took me 15 years to install and paint it lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, pkinneb said:

IMG_8424.thumb.JPG.76082f95644e8664f4779b366c6c1067.JPG

There is an optical illusion going on in this image. The right most window looks like snow but the left most window looks like green grass with leaves on the trees.... I'm so confused....

I'm patiently waiting to hear your thoughts on this planer compared to the Hammer you already have.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 9:21 AM, Chestnut said:

There is an optical illusion going on in this image. The right most window looks like snow but the left most window looks like green grass with leaves on the trees.... I'm so confused....

I'm patiently waiting to hear your thoughts on this planer compared to the Hammer you already have.

Its a pine tree :)

Will let you know. I am and have been since day one impressed with the knives and cut quality on the Hammer so we shall see. It will be nice to have a planer at the ready for small/quick jobs and at its price it will barely cover the cost of the silent cutter head on the Felder :o

Crazy how much a silent cutter head would cost. That planner seems expensive but yet not when you consider the cost of a lunch box planer plus helical head, never mind the hassle of installing it. I think it's the $1,299 list price that's throwing me off. Seems to have jumped from $899 to $999 on sale the past week too.

On 1/8/2022 at 9:23 AM, gee-dub said:

Trying to take care of a few of those little things that never seem to get done.  My Gluebots, glue stock and other random glue-up stuff was snow-drifting on top of my shooting board.  Got tired of moving it all the time and used some scrap to make a cleat-hung glue caddie.

Glue-Caddy-3.thumb.jpg.1e309f49df2ba87f351868cc56c2db18.jpg

At least now the things I use most often have somewhere to go and I know where to go to get them ;-)

Everytime I see your posts I think why on earth have I not used French cleats throughout the shop...^_^

Nice Job!!

I had to destruct a murphy bed i made because I couldn't move it out of our basement. It made it out of the shop but not up the main stairs...

0108221211-01.thumb.jpeg.e008f9f931582e578f92a696aabe004a.jpeg

Now i need to try and put it back together and hope that most of the damage isn't visible and that it's still structurally sound....

• Sad 4

TB3 is my go-to glue too. I like most everything about it, except that when you get it on your  clothes, it is there to stay. I have a bottle of hide glue that I use when I am worried about PVA spots in the finish.

@gee-dub - I know what you mean about always seem to work on the shop. I thought about it, and if I an honest, I have as much fun doing that as I do making projects. Right now, I don't have a project in mind. I guess I  am going to work on getting ready to move.

8 hours ago, Coop said:

Years ago, we sold a chemical company an overhead light bar for their new fire truck. It was parked in their garage when they installed it on the cab. Their first response out, it was ripped off by the overhead door. No consideration for height when they purchased it. 

I don't know if it's worst to check multiple times and be wrong or never check.

I took multiple phases of the construction and tried to fit them up the stairs and each time I had room to spare so I figured it would fit. I was wrong.

• Sad 1