What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

Seems like everyone has been busy! I had a couple of days off but didn't get too much done. Installed some new ceiling lights at my parents place and helped my dad work on a bench he's making. Just finished the refinancing process on our house earlier today.

Hoping to get some time in this weekend on my TV stand. Also submitted 2 weeks of vacation time for December so it looks like I'll be working all of 8 days that month. Kids will be home for 2 weeks so I really only have a week to crank stuff out.

• Like 1

Cut out the brackets that go along side the cabriole legs.  Had to cut the curvy profile in 1 1/2" mahogany - used the scroll saw.  Slow going but worked well.   Going to visit in-laws tomorrow.  Back in the shop on Monday.   Will be time to do final smoothing on the cabriole legs and start assembly.  I have become very good friends with my spokeshaves making these legs.

• Like 1

I didn't rake, but "blew"/threw leaves with the riding mower.  Took me a couple of hours to get this acre and a half, or so, piece.  Whitecaps on the lake with wind from a helping direction.

I just threw them across the road, into the woods.  The mower shredded most of the bulk, and the wind took the dust away.

What you see in the road is what was left by the time I got that far.

Took me almost two hours, but I was sitting in an Air Ride seat, with power steering.

IMG_3550.jpg

IMG_3549.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, legenddc said:

I went to the office in person for a meeting. Totally overrated. Not looking forward to an all day meeting again tomorrow. 

Friday I will slack off and do some woodworking. 

I'm jealous. i feel like I'm drowning at work every day. I'm goign to take a half day tomorrow and hang in a tree hunting deer though.

On 11/18/2021 at 8:46 AM, Chestnut said:

I'm jealous. i feel like I'm drowning at work every day. I'm goign to take a half day tomorrow and hang in a tree hunting deer though.

Well I had 2 days off last week and had to work on both of them so this is payback for the extra time worked. 

Good luck tomorrow!

• Like 1

A die grinder, and carbide burr would open it right up. 

DON'T buy a HF die grinder though.  I bought one of their 19.95 die grinders when I was working on a tractor.  It seems like it would be okay, but it's not safe.  Mine grabbed a couple of times, and jerked it out of my hands.  Every time it grabbed, it bent the shank on the burr.  The last time, it kept running, wound itself up the cord, and slammed into my knee.  Fortunately, the burr was facing away from me, but my knee was sore for days.  It could have been much worse if it was turned the other way.  It went right in the trash, and I ordered a Makita.

The Makita has a spring attachment to the chuck, so it has some give, and also has a safety disconnect.  It's like a different tool, but does the same work.  It was not a cheap tool though.

• Like 1

That cane is awesome. Also kind of frightening, I want one. Are those RR spikes, it looks larger than the ones i've seen.

I've been seeing die girders quite often that are battery powered. Ross I'd check your tool system and see if you can't add to it.

The M12 that I'm looking at claims that it's 20% more powerful that pneumatic. We're approaching the day and age where battery powered tools are lighter and more powerful that air tools aren't we? I put the M12 1/2" impact on my Christmas list because it'd be so nice to have it in my pickup.

I feel helpless when i see someone stranded trying to change a tire and they can't break the lugs use because the idiot tech that mounted their tires over torqued the lugs with an impact.

I think that HF die grinder would be okay for grinding wheels, but not safe with a burr.  The burr throws metal chips like a rasp does on wood.  A coarse 1/4" shank grinding wheel is still a lot faster than a file, so it might be worth the twenty something bucks for that setup.

I used to keep a 1/2" breaker bar in the truck for wheel lugs, but now I keep a 1/2" impact wrench.  The 1/2" impact wrench has a nut busting force over 1100 ft. lb.

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XWT08XVZ

It'll get lugs off that were put on too tight with an air wrench.

I use that to take mower blades off, and put them back on with a 12V Milwaukee regular impact driver.

18 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Thanks Rick. Might have to take you up on that, but really need a better method to form the eye. Drilling & filing takes forever!

Heating the spike and driving a punch through it on an anvil is the “proper” way to do it. If you decide to learn to forge you’ll learn the technique quick enough.

This guy is my favorite youtuber for forging entertainment.

https://youtube.com/c/BlackBearForge

• Like 1

Wish I had more time. Would love to try out some blacksmithing at some point, as well as metalworking and non-emergency car work.

Had about 24 hours alone this weekend but spent a ton of that in the car. On my errands tour I picked up a new mattress and discovered 62" Kreg track rails don't fit in a 60" pickup truck bed. Fortunately I was able to get it in the cab. Something to think about whenever I look at buying a truck.

Hope everyone had a great weekend and you're ready for Thanksgiving!

• Like 1