What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

Looks like you have bears in the area!

I didn’t manage to split enough wood for our (milder) winter in time, so I’ll have to have some delivered. I only went through about a cord and some change last winter. Hoping to have enough for next winter without buying any. 

On 9/7/2021 at 5:40 AM, JohnG said:

Looks like you have bears in the area!

I

Yes, the property borders creek in a ravine that is a major corridor for bears, moose and other wildlife.  Mostly Black Bears though, haven't seen any Grizzlies in the last 5 years.

On 9/7/2021 at 5:25 AM, RJS said:

It was a weekend for Labours of love. 

Saturday was hauling horses for my Daughter's last local show for the year.  It was fun for me as it is normally my wife's department.  The two of them are going on a big trip, taking in three shows in two weeks in September so I called dibs to take her this time.

239596553_10158416328986167_3176194856015896935_n.thumb.jpeg.e4600bb1c61fe0fceedd1624cfd37227.jpeg

Sunday was bucking and splitting the last of this season's fire wood.  We burn about 3 cords a winter and i like to have two years supply in the shed.  This year a neighbour did some clearing and was kind enough to deck a bunch of alder and hemlock to give me at least two years supply.  It's more than will fit in the shed so some will be stacked in the yard.

wood.thumb.jpeg.1498a1396b84695be316f6b1eb96b3ee.jpeg

Today was bee day, doing mite tests checking on stores and feeding them in preparation for winter.  I really enjoy beekeeping but it is a lot like any other livestock or farming...lot's of work and investment in hopes of a good yeild but as many years of disappointment as years of plenty.

Apiary.thumb.jpeg.9930a30220e97e148cb8f6d2ba526246.jpeg

WOW! in a festive mood. :)

I tilled the garden and planted 21 tomato plants this morning. 

As we have storm headed our way, I spent the afternoon cleaning the floor in shop as dry sawdust cleans up easier than wet. Forecast was for 5-7” of rain. Cleaning was probably a waste of time as this afternoons 5:00 forecast says that we may get 20”-30” of rain in a 3 day period as the storm is expected to slow considerably before it reaches us. We are use to heavy rains but that’s a little much! 

Probably kiss those tomato plants adios as well! 

• Sad 5

4 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

That's what I do, just save them up, my guy did 8 in the spring and it was like $260 ranged from 15" to 38" across.

That's worse than i was expecting, I probably spent more with the rental then your guy would have charged for my 10" and 18" stumps.

I thought of the project last minute and wanted to get a tree planted this past weekend. So i just did the fastest route and did it myself.

Mark, you have a paper filter IIRC in the laguna DC. If yours is pretty new it might not have gotten fully "seasoned". That said based on the work you do, I could see you not needing to clean it every year though it'd still be a good habbit.

I cleaned mine this year. The dust cloud was huge. I made the mistake of doing it on a pretty calm day and the dust just hung around. There was rain in the forecast so I didn't really feel bad. Good reminder as filters should be cleaned regularly. I like the leaf blower in the back yard method.