What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

On 7/20/2021 at 3:03 PM, pkinneb said:

not only does he get my daughter he gets my chocolate too lol. Lucky for me he is very nice and more importantly is really good for, and too, our daughter

Yea but those truffles would have gone real good with some walnut halves and a nice glass of Port.

• Haha 1

On 7/21/2021 at 6:02 PM, treeslayer said:

Getting a little freaked out @Coop, you got me by 1, 14 to 15 is my count, wouldn’t mind having a brother, I’ll split the DNA test with you :)

I wouldn’t be able to sleep well tonight if I didn’t shoot straight with ya. Two of those are the ones you made Sharon and I just recoated them with mineral oil when I did the new ones! And unfortunately, one of the new ones had two worm holes in them and it will get chunked as I don’t want any food stuff to get in there and cause someone down the road to get sick from it. 

How long does it take you to make one of them? I think when I made 3 it was about an hour each. I think I got quicker with each one and able to saw off more each time so there was less sanding. I still have 3 blanks glued up that I should go work on. Was thinking one with a stripe of a different color wood down the center or third could look cool but might be out of proportion.

20 minutes ago, legenddc said:

Was thinking one with a stripe of a different color wood down the center

i've thought of that as well but i think it would crack/break over time because the wood is thin and subject to a lot of stress, a stripe of different wood on the handle if you're using two different types of wood for the spurtle itself would be cool, never really paid much attention to the time it takes to make one, i'm guessing 30 minutes, but i've made a lot of them and tend to make them in batches of 10 or more

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 8:50 AM, treeslayer said:

i've thought of that as well but i think it would crack/break over time because the wood is thin and subject to a lot of stress, a stripe of different wood on the handle if you're using two different types of wood for the spurtle itself would be cool, never really paid much attention to the time it takes to make one, i'm guessing 30 minutes, but i've made a lot of them and tend to make them in batches of 10 or more

I was thinking it would break too but if it's just my family who has them I can always make another. I think with more practice and/or setting up the bandsaw better I could do it in 30 minutes.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 1:50 PM, JohnG said:

I installed 10 4ft LED and it is fantastic!

On 7/24/2021 at 3:25 PM, treeslayer said:

I have 5 in my small shop/garage and going to add 1 more over the router table

I have 7 in my shop and it is nice.  The other thing that helped was I had a new garage door install a couple of months ago that is white on the inside and that made a big difference also.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 1:50 PM, JohnG said:

Just need to decide on the final build specs

Unless you see yourself doing a lot of sheet goods I wouldn't be in to big of a hurry to was $$'s on the 52 inch fence.  I have had mine since 2014 and never felt the need for more then the 36 inch that I have.

On 7/24/2021 at 6:09 PM, Chet said:

Unless you see yourself doing a lot of sheet goods I wouldn't be in to big of a hurry to was $$'s on the 52 inch fence.  I have had mine since 2014 and never felt the need for more then the 36 inch that I have.

I downsized from a 52" to the 36" when I went from my PM66 to the Sawstop and haven't missed it either. I do however miss the depth of the PM66 and would have gone the industrial Sawstop model had I known but now I'm used to it to so no biggy

Definitely don’t want the 52”, just the 36”. Any thoughts on the two overarm dust options? I’m considering doing the router table and lift.

I’m coming from a small jobsite saw so the PCS would be a luxurious amount of table depth, but I’ll also price out the ICS. 

On 7/24/2021 at 4:48 PM, JohnG said:

Any thoughts on the two overarm dust options?

I haven't looked at their overarm stuff lately.  I had their original set up and didn't care for it much,  When you got close to the end of a cut it would actually start jetting it straight back at you, real annoying. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, legenddc said:

How are you liking the new Milwaukee screwdriver?

It's great. The forward reverse selector is a lot less of an annoyance than i thought it might be. It has more than enough torque to drive 3_1/2" #10 screws and is very light. The right angle adapter has already come in handy multiple times. The only part of the kit that i don't see much use for is the offset driver.

• Like 1

Replaced my garage door opener this weekend. The old one was a Genie screwdriver and lasted 23 years, so I guess I got money's worth.

Replaced it with a new Genie. This one is a belt drive. Bolted into almost the same brackets. It has a soft start and stop too. I can't believe how quite it is. Has some new security features since it really isn't my garage it is on. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/28/2021 at 10:01 PM, JohnG said:

Hey 6mo for a truck isn’t so bad. We ordered a dang sofa and that’s going to be 6-9 months!

Google “Mattress Mac” Mcinvale with Gallery Furniture in Houston. Very wealthy man and philanthropist that guarantees “No Back, Back, Back Orders” from his store.