What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

On 8/19/2021 at 9:50 PM, Coop said:

Happens to all of us. Where was the mistake(s)?

No major mistakes and plenty of extra wood left if I really botched something up. I just struggled way longer then I should have to figure out how to cut out 45s and make things go around together in the right order. I was able to get it glued up and there's only a small gap in one of the corners. Not thrilled with it, but it's livable. I think I wasn't fully lined up when I clamped it up.

Decided to wait on putting in the rabbet until I was thinking clearer and have the glass.

On 8/19/2021 at 11:20 PM, Chet said:

I have been there, but over time I have come to recognize the symptoms and now I am pretty quick to jump of, even if it is still moving.  I have learned that by doing this I save on lumber.

Had I been working on a larger project or one without scrap lumber I would have stopped. I was at least aware of my mental block and made extra sure to be safe. Never worth risking personal injury for woodworking.

• Like 1

I've been working on some storage in my garage. I've recently found a few ways not to make shelves that are attached to a crank and pulley to raise and lower.

I also made a lift system fro the jeep top. My wife is strong enough to help lift it but she isn't quite tall enough to do so easily. So I am looking for a way to take the top off solo, or at least in a manner where lifting doesn't need to be completed. The other main goal is to create a storage place when the top isn't on the vehicle.

Broke out the hand tools and some white oak.

0815210736-01.thumb.jpeg.455fedb01da5a5ac354b5145f515ccae.jpeg

Made some hand cut finger joints.

0815211020-01.thumb.jpeg.f1a00ecb16dd42faf8ba0c70127a8c21.jpeg

There is a hook at the rear that is kind of like an inverted scorpion that will lift on the roof through the rear window. There is a vertical piece missing in the picture below.

0822211127-01.thumb.jpeg.de641cce0c3d283cdac6208e3eb67809.jpeg

The strap holds the front of the top.

0818211712_HDR-01.thumb.jpeg.6a874c1815b3ae8a58817ef3edc74078.jpeg

No i just need to install the hand crank. The crank location is going to take some figuring out as that area of my garage is somewhat cramped for space.

• Like 2

I used to lift a cap off a pickup similar to that.  It had roof racks on it, with a couple of sailboards, and masts, so I just had weighted loops on the ends of line that went over the ends of the rack bars, going through a 3:1 pulley system, and a dock cleat on the wall to hold it up.  Just pull the line down, and secure around the cleat.  It was an 8' fiberglass top with windsurfing sails hanging inside the top.  Even that wasn't heavy enough to require a winch.

If the wind was cranking at the coast, we'd drop the cap on the truck, and head that way.

I still have all the parts to make a Jeep hardtop hoist at my parent's house. If I recall for the front the plans back then typically used a long piece of all-thread covered with foam pipe insulation. You'll be happy you made that hoist, especially if you don't have a soft top for the summer. At least the newer Jeeps have the panels you can take off on the front by yourself.

2 hours ago, Tom King said:

Even that wasn't heavy enough to require a winch.

I didn't do a 3:1 reduction, so to lift the 80 lbs you have to pull down with 80lbs + friction. I can easily lift the top off but there is zero control. The crank will allow for precise control lowering the top and allowing it to be aligned. Otherwise I'd need to back the vehicle in within 1/2" of the same spot every time.

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

Well the ones we had were from Precission Bicycle, but something like this:

I have 2 of these for our bikes that are just outside the pictures above. They work great.

0522211647-01.thumb.jpeg.3f347ce68cbf0cbf598011fc227b8c3c.jpeg

1 hour ago, legenddc said:

At least the newer Jeeps have the panels you can take off on the front by yourself.

The freedom tops are great. I can pop them off after work in 30 seconds and enjoy an open top on the ride home.

• Like 1

That's similar to what I had rigged up. I had turning blocks at the ceiling corner, and the dock cleat down about waist level.  That top probably weighed 200 pounds.  I'd pass the line through the middle of the dock cleat, and use that as friction to control lowering, and as a jumping point like raising a big sailboat halyard.  The 3:1 was on the wall between the corner turning block, and the cleat.  I only needed to raise it a few inches, to back the truck under it, and it could wait right there until needed.

Nothing wrong with a winch though.  I probably just didn't have one when I rigged that up one day.

• Like 1

I want to take a moment and mention that this thread started out as a place to talk about things that we do during the day that aren't related to woodworking.  Over time more and more wood related posts have ended up in here.  The forum has several places we can post these things, General Woodworking Talk, Project Showcase, along with things pertaining to the Shop or Jigs and Fixtures, also two for Tools.  It seems that we are losing a lot of potential conversations because things are just being dropped in here.

Lets try to get the woodworking posts back into their categories.

On 8/28/2021 at 4:30 PM, Chet said:

I want to take a moment and mention that this thread started out as a place to talk about things that we do during the day that aren't related to woodworking.  Over time more and more wood related posts have ended up in here.  The forum has several places we can post these things, General Woodworking Talk, Project Showcase, along with things pertaining to the Shop or Jigs and Fixtures, also two for Tools.  It seems that we are losing a lot of potential conversations because things are just being dropped in here.

Lets try to get the woodworking posts back into their categories.

I agree 100%..   If it continues, we'll just lock this thread..

• Sad 1