What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

12 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Mark, you have a paper filter IIRC in the laguna DC. If yours is pretty new it might not have gotten fully "seasoned". That said based on the work you do, I could see you not needing to clean it every year though it'd still be a good habbit.

I cleaned mine this year. The dust cloud was huge. I made the mistake of doing it on a pretty calm day and the dust just hung around. There was rain in the forecast so I didn't really feel bad. Good reminder as filters should be cleaned regularly. I like the leaf blower in the back yard method.

I don't know what the P-Flux filter is made of, but it is a pleated cannister that is HEPA rated.  With as much sanding as I do I was expecting more dust in the pleats than was actually there.  

I first used a quarter sheet sander as a vibrater to knock off the excess while it was still mounted (Laguna's recommendation).  Then I took it outside and used the leaf blower.   I didn't go for spotless, just de-bulked.

• Like 1

The new bike tires I ordered came in the mail right before a conference call. Should go without saying that was one of my most productive conference calls.

Forgot to order a kickstand and the bike shop didn't have any. They sure seemed to have a lot of bikes with price tags closer to a nice used car lot.

Today, I read one of the best thriller book named as "The Night She Disappeared" written by Lisa Jewell. If you are into novels, then I'd definitely want you to read her latest novel. It is full of suspense/mystery. You'll be on-the-edge of your seat while you are reading. It seems it is her best novel yet. Do check it out if you get time. 

Thanks.

• Like 2

On 9/18/2021 at 9:26 AM, wtnhighlander said:

Cody and I made our annual pilgrimage to the 'Archaeofest', held at Pinson Mounds State Park to commemorate the culture of the Woodland-period people that built the mounds. The event was subdued, between Covid concerns and rain. Still interesting.

Oh, and it is just 2 miles from my home.

That looks like an interesting place.

• Like 1

@Chet, it really is. My great-great uncle had owned much of that property, prior to the state acquiring it for the park. I remember, as a kid, walking across the fields from his old house, to climb the big mound. That was maybe 10 years before the state developed the existing park facilities.

Many people don't know it, but Shilo National Battlfield, about 45 minutes drive from me, also contains a significant Woodland-era mound site.

• Like 2

On 9/22/2021 at 8:39 PM, JohnG said:

Today I realized that I've now had my Tesla for one year. I have put 22.5k miles on it and still really enjoy it. In year one my total maintenance cost was $20 for a tire patch. I really enjoy not having to stop for gas 1-2x weekly.

In this 12 month period, have you ever once sweated not getting to your destination? Do you have another vehicle you use to take long trips? Do you automatically plug it in at the end of each day? Have you had a noticeable increase in your electric bill, compared to the prior year? That’s a fair amount of miles. 

The one thing that dampens any interest I have in EVs is that if you run out of 'gas', you can't just hike to the nearest convenience store and come back with enough to get home. When charging stations become as standardized and ubiquitous as gas pumps, I guess I'll feel differently.

But @Coop, I am 100% positive that the 'fuel' cost per mile is far less for John's Tesla, than for a comparable ICE car.

The one thing that dampens any interest I have in EVs is that if you run out of 'gas', you can't just hike to the nearest convenience store and come back with enough to get home. When charging stations become as standardized and ubiquitous as gas pumps, I guess I'll feel differently.

But @Coop, I am 100% positive that the 'fuel' cost per mile is far less for John's Tesla, than for a comparable ICE car.

We went to a local mall today and coming out, I noticed a car plugged in. I had never seen a recharging station before. It felt neat but kind of weird. Almost like the car needed a dose of oxygen to survive. I’m sure it’s like going from horse to horseless. 

7 hours ago, JohnG said:

But here's the thing, how often do you drive 200+ miles in one day? 

Less, since Covid, but still far more often than I'd like, unfortunately. And if I had to plan routes based on the relative scarcity of charging stations, the trips would get longer. But eventually, the infrastructure will be there. I do wish the auto makers would agree on a standard charging system, it would probably speed up deployment a great deal.

9 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

When charging stations become as standardized and ubiquitous as gas pumps, I guess I'll feel differently.

They are quite common up here. A few stores have wind mills or solar cells with dedicated EV parking stalls. I don't know if the charge is free or fast from them but even a little bit can get you a decent distance.

8 hours ago, JohnG said:

This is how a lot of people feel about EVs. There are some people out there that drive a whole lot more than I do, and for them it might not make sense. But here's the thing, how often do you drive 200+ miles in one day? You plug it in each night and it's topped off and ready for you the next morning. Unless you forget to plug it in, you're never out and about and realize you're on a quarter tank so you have to be driving pretty long distances to be caught needing to charge while driving. 

I find range anxiety interesting. I frequently take off with only 40 miles range on the tank. Why does that not bother me but being limited to 100 miles makes other anxious? I'm not judging at all, just curious. The awesome part about EV is you could carry a "gas can" around in case you did run out and just needed a few miles. you "gas can" wouldn't spill or stink up the interior either.... :D.

I really want an EV. Too bad i just just bought a brand new Jeep....

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

I find range anxiety interesting. I frequently take off with only 40 miles range on the tank. Why does that not bother me but being limited to 100 miles makes other anxious? I'm not judging at all, just curious. 

Within 40 miles of me are well over a thousand gas stations. I think it is just that simple. 

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 8:39 PM, JohnG said:

Today I realized that I've now had my Tesla for one year. I have put 22.5k miles on it and still really enjoy it. In year one my total maintenance cost was $20 for a tire patch. I really enjoy not having to stop for gas 1-2x weekly.

22.5K in a year?? Wow I will put about 8K on this year across three vehicles including two trips to MASW...Apparently I need to get out more LOL

That is awesome on the no gas stops!

• Like 1