What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

On 11/22/2021 at 4:49 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Today, I returned to work after a wasted weekend of recovery from the covid booster. Apparently I'm one of the lucky few that gets to enjoy a good 24-36 hours of full-on 'flu-like symptoms' after every dose.

Beats going to the hospital, though...

You aren't completely alone. I got my booster Thursday afternoon. By noon Friday, I was done. Can't say I was really in a bad way, but I slept for 14 hours and felt run down through Sunday. Can't wait to do this every year....

• Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 3:45 PM, Chet said:

Why so far away? 

$13K savings over anything I could find/ order locally. I have a bunch of unused FF miles so the trip will cost less then $500 and as a bonus we get to see our daughter and SIL in Chicago on the way back :) 

I have actually bought 4 of our last 5 vehicles out of state although none this far most were within 500 miles.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 7:33 AM, Chestnut said:

It doesn't make sense to me that this happens.... why can one dealer be that much cheaper than another. The whole car sales infrastructure in the US is broken. I think tesla has it right.

Free enterprise! Some dealers would rather make $13K profit on 10 trucks while others make $3K on 50. We all make our decisions on what's right for us. Do we need it now? Is it worth $13K more? Have I even done the research to know? I have no problem with it at all I for one am just not willing to pay a dollar more then I have to, in most cases. 

Ain't America Great :) 

BTW a week after I placed my order I found out I could have gotten the same deal at a dealer in IA 200 miles away. The problem is the only thing more important to me than a good deal is my word, so PA here we come :)

How are you liking your new truck now that you have had it for a couple of months?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Free enterprise! Some dealers would rather make $13K profit on 10 trucks while others make $3K on 50.

I don't know that's entirely the case. I know dealers get tiered discounts based off volumes they sell so the MN dealer was probably going to make less than the 13K price difference as Ford charges them more per vehicle. To me that just seems odd on a vehicle. When i was looking at Jeeps there was a dealer in TN that was vary popular and they claim to get a volume discount from Jeep hence they can undercut all their competition. I may have been able to order through them and save $1k but the headache wasn't worth it. That said 13K is a different story.

My broken comment is a bit more complicated and more related to service. The service side of things is a lot more difficult. Manufactures don't really pay dealers enough to troubleshoot problems. My inner fender liner was defective from the factory. Did the dealer do anything when i mentioned it to them. Nope. It's honestly easier (and cheaper time based) for me to buy a $64 part and replace it myself than try and get the dealer to correct a warranty issue and spend hours waiting for XYZ at the dealership.

58 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

How are you liking your new truck now that you have had it for a couple of months?

Ignoring my comment about an inconsequential plastic part I like the Jeep so far. There are features that it has that I don't know why every manufacture includes. I can at any point turn on the backup camera to check behind the vehicle. This is helpful when hauling items on a trailer. Lights in the bed are very helpful. A full back seat with storage boxes. An outlet with other USB charging ports, LED lights. There is a long list of features that I really like.

Another highlight is the coil spring, 4 link rear suspension is AWESOME. I don't know why all pickups don't have this. The ride is WAY better than any leaf spring vehicle I've ridden in and it's smoother than my dad's Yukon XL.

If i had to give the vehicle cons #1 would be gas mileage, I got really used to 23-24 mpg. Dropping to 18.5 between home and work kinda sucks. Highway mileage is closer to 22 down from 24-25 so that's not much of a change. #2 Reverse is a bit tall, and i wish it had a lower ratio. Idle in revers is like 5-6MPH which is dumb. I've used 4wd Lo to back up trailers. honestly #2 could just be gearing in general. The final drive is 3.73 and probably should be more like 4.55. 70 mph in 6th the engine is at 1900 rpm, I'd like that closer to 2,200-2,400 so i drive in 5th almost everywhere and never use 6th.

• Like 1

There's a forward camera too on certain models I think. Your mileage doesn't seem that bad considering my 1998 Jeep averaged 17 until I got my short commute.

I bet the new Ram rides really well too with the coil springs. I think the Tundra was also getting them.

Any upgrades coming to the Jeep?

On 11/24/2021 at 10:31 AM, Chestnut said:

I don't know that's entirely the case. I know dealers get tiered discounts based off volumes they sell so the MN dealer was probably going to make less than the 13K price difference as Ford charges them more per vehicle. To me that just seems odd on a vehicle. When i was looking at Jeeps there was a dealer in TN that was vary popular and they claim to get a volume discount from Jeep hence they can undercut all their competition. I may have been able to order through them and save $1k but the headache wasn't worth it. That said 13K is a different story.

My broken comment is a bit more complicated and more related to service. The service side of things is a lot more difficult. Manufactures don't really pay dealers enough to troubleshoot problems. My inner fender liner was defective from the factory. Did the dealer do anything when i mentioned it to them. Nope. It's honestly easier (and cheaper time based) for me to buy a $64 part and replace it myself than try and get the dealer to correct a warranty issue and spend hours waiting for XYZ at the dealership.

Ignoring my comment about an inconsequential plastic part I like the Jeep so far. There are features that it has that I don't know why every manufacture includes. I can at any point turn on the backup camera to check behind the vehicle. This is helpful when hauling items on a trailer. Lights in the bed are very helpful. A full back seat with storage boxes. An outlet with other USB charging ports, LED lights. There is a long list of features that I really like.

Another highlight is the coil spring, 4 link rear suspension is AWESOME. I don't know why all pickups don't have this. The ride is WAY better than any leaf spring vehicle I've ridden in and it's smoother than my dad's Yukon XL.

If i had to give the vehicle cons #1 would be gas mileage, I got really used to 23-24 mpg. Dropping to 18.5 between home and work kinda sucks. Highway mileage is closer to 22 down from 24-25 so that's not much of a change. #2 Reverse is a bit tall, and i wish it had a lower ratio. Idle in revers is like 5-6MPH which is dumb. I've used 4wd Lo to back up trailers. honestly #2 could just be gearing in general. The final drive is 3.73 and probably should be more like 4.55. 70 mph in 6th the engine is at 1900 rpm, I'd like that closer to 2,200-2,400 so i drive in 5th almost everywhere and never use 6th.

I agree on the service side for sure. 

The Jeep sounds really nice! BTW that mileage is quite honestly pretty awesome for a Jeep. I don't think I ever got over 19.5 with my 4D Rubicon and average was like 15.5 that and no box were the reason I got rid of it. Jeeps are just cool, I always had a smile on my face driving mine and I have seen some pretty nice Gladiators like yours to.

16 hours ago, legenddc said:

There's a forward camera too on certain models I think.

It's an option on almost every model. I strongly considered it but then asked myself "When are you ever going to use this?"

12 hours ago, pkinneb said:

I agree on the service side for sure. 

The Jeep sounds really nice!

Thanks we'll have to meet up at some point to swap morris chair bending forms, (if your still making those? :D) and show off new vehicles. I'm excited to see what that new Ford is going to look like.

I just feel bad for the service techs that get nothing for actually doing their job well. Read this code do XYZ send it out the door if it fixes the problem or not. To get the dealers to even try it sounds like you have to threaten them with lemon laws and lawyer action.

• Like 1