What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

12 minutes ago, Robby W said:

Question for those of you with raised garden beds: how do you keep deer and gophers out if your gardens? 

People around here use fencing, wherever it is feasible. Deer require a pretty tall fence, although it doesn't have to be all that sturdy. In my immediate area, there are enough crop fields to keep most such critters occupied, without bothering someone's backyard garden.

• Like 1

Been a boring few days here. I have the week off and was hoping to spend a decent chunk of time woodworking but instead I've been sitting on the couch with a sinus infection. Hoping tomorrow I'm good to go. I did squeeze in some sanding while sitting on a stool for a little.

Our microwave went up at the end of last week. Replaced the fuse and it blew again so I had to order up some door switches and was able to get it fixed. Amazed that the usual parts websites wanted $50 for a fuse and $50 per switch. Meanwhile a fuse is $2.50 (for 2) at Home Depot and the switches were $4.50 each on Amazon.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 2:50 PM, Robby W said:

Question for those of you with raised garden beds: how do you keep deer and gophers out if your gardens? 

I don’t know if it’s daffodils or the green onions, but I have never had a deer or gopher problem here in Houston.:D

• Thanks 1

In today's episode of why I didn't get to do any woodworking.... After my car failed our safety inspection on Friday I had to replace the front lower control arms since I wasn't about to pay the dealership $1500. Found the parts locally for $400, bought the Dewalt Atomic 20v Impact Wrench and an impact socket kit for another $150 and spent about 6 hours switching it out. Could have found cheaper parts but with 70* weather in December in DC and the kids busy had to take advantage of the timing.

@Chestnut I know you wanted that Milwaukee M12 impact but if you have more Dewalt 20v batteries the Atomic impact is really small and would be easy to throw in a car.

And now our master bathroom toilet float is stuck so I'll have to fix that. Maybe I can sneak in some work on the sideboard soon.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, legenddc said:

I know you wanted that Milwaukee M12 impact but if you have more Dewalt 20v batteries the Atomic impact is really small and would be easy to throw in a car.

I bought the 1/2" 12v Milwauke impact this past week. Good recommendation i had my eye on that one too.

1208211818-01.thumb.jpeg.71ab0b72e252d2835b56d2080cee276d.jpeg

I think the M12 is slightly smaller than the dewalt. Maybe i should have gotten the dewalt as it is more powerful but I wanted absolutely as small as possible. I have an air impact for the tougher bolts but it's really big and has that hose part. The M12 run lugs just fine when i switch winter tires out, it did take a lot of ugga duggas though.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I spent my New Year's Day repainting our master bath with the trendy new silver-gray and stark white color scheme my wife picked out. Looks good, but the 'off white' shower stall stands out like maple with a fresh coat of BLO. Anyone have experience with coatings for changing the color of fiberglass? I really don't want to go through a shower replacement right now, as some demo and reconstruction would be needed.

• Thanks 1

I'd like to point out that my broken toe wasn't due to an over-indulgence in alcohol, just slipped down the steps at our friends.

Weather is crazy right now here too. Woke up to an alert of 3-6" of snow starting tonight. It was just 69*. Glad I got a new winter coat for Christmas.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 7:52 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Anyone have experience with coatings for changing the color of fiberglass?

Ross I looked in to this about ten years back and if I remember you can do it with regular waterborne paint.  In the long run I did it the easier way and remodeled to whole bathroom so I never really tried it.

• Thanks 1