What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

On 10/28/2021 at 8:47 PM, gee-dub said:

I finally got one of the lumber racks up.  I have a list of things to do and didn't really want to schlep wood just now.  I realized that I make trips back and forth to the house (45 feet away) several times a day for coffee, lunch, whatever.  I started taking a board back to the shop from one of the stash spots in the garage on my return trips.

1594941327_NewShop(516).jpg.154d86c9f30ce050e946cbedaeb7c937.jpg

So far I'm making progress without taking any additional trips or interrupting my flow ;-)

My dad started the company that I worked for, for 50 some odd years.Very conservative man, born and raised during the depression. He taught us at the company, make every step count. Going from point A to B, take something with you and pick up the trash on the way.

Great looking drone view of your shop @gee-dub

• Like 1

With cold temperatures fishing is out for now. Woodworking interest has gone up. Was going to store the boat in the shop , but decided I might want to woodwork. So ive been a cleaning and trying  to get more shop. .trying to restart lumber. I finally got the lathe out after many years, at least to clean it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BillyJack said:

With cold temperatures fishing is out for now.

This is the BEST time to be on the lake fishing. Between now and Ice cover the fish will just jump into the boat. If the rod guides aren't freezing up it's too warm to be fishing.

I don't know what your cover situation is but is there a reason you can't store the boat outside over winter? I never bother storing mine inside. A good cover to keep the snow, leaves, and debris out.

• Like 1

I was fishing three days a week till 2 weeks ago. I've been having trouble with my dialysis graph. They decided to put a catheter in for rthe mean time. This means I can't get the exterior catheter wet  and I don't have rain gear yet. It's been off and on train for two weeks. 

Now to fishing... I go Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. The last 2 days I went I had donuts and I was going through baits like crazy trying to find something. ..

Chestnut I'm like you. I was hoping to catch them when the late season started back, but health is winning right now. Rain, doctor visits and  freezing temperatures strating next week may kill the rest of my season.

I was going to store it inside over winter so I could do the bass boat conversion, but realized other than storage there was no gain. At this point I only want box in the rear for batteries, etc and maybe redo the livewell for minnows next year..

I've got the Evinrude 9.5 I need to work on this winter as well. A few dollars should put that motor back to work.

I started  getting the itch to do some woodworking. I'm hoping the itch turns into poker table building.  Been clearing the shop.

• Like 1

Nut, I thought you guys called them something else up north? I guess not. Those things are a blast to catch when you find where they are suspended. 

Oppps, just remembered it is our eastern Louisiana neighbors that call them sac-a-lait, pronounced sock-a-lie. 

That chair is amazing.  Will/can you get copies of the bending forms, and notes on all the hole angles?

Speaking of leaves, I've been looking for an excuse to get one of these, but the new mower does such a good job of throwing them, leaving a clean 6' swath, that I'll continue to use that, which allows me to keep sitting down to do most of it.  It's actually good enough by itself, but I can't get it into some tight spots.

https://www.scag.com/product/stand-on-blowers/windstorm/

• Like 2

Dave, I started at the outside, cut to depth in several passes, then started working toward center, about 1/8" at a time. Next time, I would cut the outer rim first, then switch from the core box bit to a flat end mill, to avoid the concentric rings. Or obtain a proper bowl and tray bit. If your router is adjustable from the top, you might even manage to profile the depth of the bottom.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Coop said:

Ross, did you cut the od of this piece, in the same fashion? 

No, I cut that with my bandsaw, and refined it on my edge sander. Probably should make a jig for those operations, as it is a little lumpy. But using the 2-point method for the inside avoids the center pin hole such jigs leave behind.

Ross, you could use a router and a trammel to make the outside circle.  If the trammel is used on the top then the center pin hole would be removed when the inside circle is excavated.  

I think your two point jig is pretty clever; it could even be a "tip" for FWW.  And I wouldn't despair the concentric rings, that's just texturing.  

• Thanks 1