What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

On 1/11/2018 at 9:01 AM, new2woodwrk said:

Visitors and members would post with whatever topic or event occurred to them and others would chime in their 2 cents worth and their events.

It doesn't necessarily have to be about woodworking - hence the location in Off-Topic.

Huh. Interesting. I thought all was fair game.

• Like 2

On 8/28/2021 at 6:12 PM, JohnG said:

I was just trying to get things having to do with actual woodworking back into the woodworking sub forums.  It would make things more visible to new folks.

• Like 1

Given that this thread is clearly in the "off topic" sub-forum, then I think it should be open for incidental discussion on any topic not specifically forbidden in the forum rules. But @Chetmakes an excellent point. When we drop woodworking related posts here, even though they seem too trivial for their own thread, we are missing the opportunity to creat well organized information, that is the true reason the forum exists. Sharing in this way is how we all grow our knowledge and skill.

• Like 2

On 8/28/2021 at 7:12 PM, JohnG said:

The area is called "Off Topic" on a woodworking forum.  So, if it's woodworking related, there's a number of forum subsections to make posts in depending on your subject matter.

Unless you'd like us to just reduce everything to one section and thread where it could be like FB?

On 8/28/2021 at 7:44 PM, treeslayer said:

Totally agree with @Chet and @wtnhighlander, having said that I think the reaction by @..Kev was off base, it’s a woodworking forum enjoyed by many, especially me and to threaten locking a thread because of a post such as made by @JohnG doesn’t sit right with me, JMO

It's a 190 page thread with numerous items that belong in their own thread..  How does that help anyone looking for information on a particular item?  As Wtnhighlander said, it's about having organized information that can be easily found.

You all know me, I'm not heavy handed but, this thread has gotten out of hand.

On 8/28/2021 at 8:48 PM, ..Kev said:

It's a 190 page thread with numerous items that belong in their own thread..  How does that help anyone looking for information on a particular item?  As Wtnhighlander said, it's about having organized information that can be easily found.

You all know me, I'm not heavy handed but, this thread has gotten out of hand.

So what's the solution?

Goodness Gracious! 

If everyone started his own thread regarding what he did that day and it involved wood, it seams to me that THAT would get more out of hand than this ONE has. JMO and everyone has one or two. 

@B1rdhunterjust posted about his new barn, which is not really Woodworking but certainly involves wood. To me, it was very interesting and I thought was really cool but to create a thread just for that would have been ludicrous. And where do you draw the line? 

Please don’t block Mel’s longest living thread yet, “Highjack”

i can see taking a stance against topics regarding politics, religion and sex, well, maybe not sex, but this is kind of touching on frivolous. 

Did I mention that I recently had a colonoscopy? :D

• Haha 2

On 8/28/2021 at 8:13 PM, RichardA said:

Who makes the determination?

The staff

On 8/28/2021 at 8:13 PM, Coop said:

Goodness Gracious! 

If everyone started his own thread regarding what he did that day and it involved wood, it seams to me that THAT would get more out of hand than this ONE has. JMO and everyone has one or two. 

@B1rdhunterjust posted about his new barn, which is not really Woodworking but certainly involves wood. To me, it was very interesting and I thought was really cool but to create a thread just for that would have been ludicrous. And where do you draw the line? 

Please don’t block Mel’s longest living thread yet, “Highjack”

i can see taking a stance against topics regarding politics, religion and sex, well, maybe not sex, but this is kind of touching on frivolous. 

Did I mention that I recently had a colonoscopy? :D

The barn wasn't built in a day and should have been it's own thread.  Still in the off topic area unless it's intent was to be a shop.  

Look, the point is that this thread is being used for "look what I built today" which should have it's own thread in the project showcase section.  

Will what's on the bench work? Borrowing it from the podcast. It's not a literal on the bench but figurative. Put it in gen woodworking. Figured it could be anything related. Shop, finishing, tools, what ever.

Sometimes it's nice to share things that I've made a dedicated thread for but don't want to do a 2nd but yet it's unrelated to add to the first.

I disagree with some of the views expressed but i think arguing is pointless. So let's just find common ground and continue our conversations.

I don't want anyone to get feathers ruffled over any of this, but I have noticed a declining trend in the number of project journals. I realize there has also been a decline in the number of members that are active on a regular basis. I want to encorage everyone to take a few extra moments to share your experiences, even if in just a one-post thread. And all you lurkers out there (yes, I'm talking to YOU), don't be shy! Every one of you has something to share, that can benefit someone else.

If the best you can do is to drop a quick post to this 'What did you do today' thread, I'd prefer that over crickets. But taking a few extra moments to post a short journal, ask a thoughtful question, or share your experience in an organized manner helps everyone that much more.

• Like 2

Mulch, but unfortunately I didn’t realize what was going on until I was about 15’ past the nest so they weren’t coming up into the deck. 
After I was clear of them I grabbed my bee jacket and veil and went back to find their entrance and left a gift for them. 

• Like 1