What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

12 hours ago, Chestnut said:

They are quite common up here. ...

I find range anxiety interesting. I frequently take off with only 40 miles range on the tank. Why does that not bother me but being limited to 100 miles makes other anxious? 

Charging stations aren't common in my area. And while a 5-gallon gas can weighing maybe 30 lbs. can get me 100 miles, a 30lb battery won't. As for range anxiety, I only felt that once, crossing the Mojave in the late 1970s, driving a 1976 Chevy van, when we passed the sign reading "last gas for 200 miles".

They weren't joking.

On 9/23/2021 at 3:12 PM, pkinneb said:

22.5K in a year?? Wow I will put about 8K on this year across three vehicles including two trips to MASW...Apparently I need to get out more LOL

That is awesome on the no gas stops!

Yeah it’s our commuter car. I drive about 30mi each way to/from work and my wife is about 50mi each way (20mi directly past my work). On the nights she works we swap cars at my work so I have the kid carrier car in the evening. So 60mi most days and 100 miles some days. I had estimated we’d get to 25k miles but not quite.

On 9/23/2021 at 5:36 PM, legenddc said:

Yeah, 22.5k is a lot of miles. We did <15k between 2 cars and 2 drivers. I bet this year will be less too.

Not sure how many we put on my wife’s car in addition to that, but definitely not as much. 

On 9/23/2021 at 8:14 AM, Chestnut said:

They are quite common up here. A few stores have wind mills or solar cells with dedicated EV parking stalls. I don't know if the charge is free or fast from them but even a little bit can get you a decent distance.

I find range anxiety interesting. I frequently take off with only 40 miles range on the tank. Why does that not bother me but being limited to 100 miles makes other anxious? I'm not judging at all, just curious. The awesome part about EV is you could carry a "gas can" around in case you did run out and just needed a few miles. you "gas can" wouldn't spill or stink up the interior either.... :D.

I really want an EV. Too bad i just just bought a brand new Jeep....

Some medium speed chargers are free, some are paid. When I stopped at a supercharger (high speed) it was about $10 to fill up (maybe from 15% up to 90%)

I had a bit of range anxiety when I first bought it and wasn’t sure what the real world range was. Of course I was also fully enjoying the acceleration which wasn’t helping. But I did hold back for a few days to see that I could meet the rated energy consumption if I tried. I rarely look at my gauge now. 

• Like 2

On 9/23/2021 at 9:05 PM, JohnG said:

Yeah it’s our commuter car. I drive about 30mi each way to/from work and my wife is about 50mi each way (20mi directly past my work). On the nights she works we swap cars at my work so I have the kid carrier car in the evening. So 60mi most days and 100 miles some days. I had estimated we’d get to 25k miles but not quite.

Dannnnnnnggggg.

Pre-Covid my office was 5.5 miles from my house and I think my wife's was under 8. Target and Home Depot are both under 3 miles as are 6 different brands grocery stores. I used to fill up once a month unless we had a trip.

Once our community figures out charging stations for our townhouses I'd like to get a plugin hybrid or electric car. Even an old Leaf to zip around and pick up kids and groceries would work but that Jeep Wrangler 4XE has me tempted.

On 9/23/2021 at 9:23 PM, legenddc said:

Dannnnnnnggggg.

Pre-Covid my office was 5.5 miles from my house and I think my wife's was under 8. Target and Home Depot are both under 3 miles as are 6 different brands grocery stores. I used to fill up once a month unless we had a trip.

Once our community figures out charging stations for our townhouses I'd like to get a plugin hybrid or electric car. Even an old Leaf to zip around and pick up kids and groceries would work but that Jeep Wrangler 4XE has me tempted.

80% of it is on back roads past farms and woodlands so it’s quite pleasant, and is the same time as taking the freeway the whole way. Takes about 35min for me, so it is not bad. My wife’s is 50-60min but she only works twice a week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnG said:

I had a bit of range anxiety when I first bought it and wasn’t sure what the real world range was.

1 hour ago, legenddc said:

Jeep Wrangler 4XE has me tempted

DO IT! They are quick with the electric assist.

I had some range anxiety with the WRX out west. The premium requirement can put you in a tight spot if your not careful. Rural communities here can be hit or miss. There are many times I'm filling from a pump that says "off road or collector only". I figure it kinda fits the collector bill.

As another electric car owner I have to echo most of John's remarks.  We've had the i3 for 5 or 6 years and it's a fine second car.  We have the Ridgeline, too and we've never been in a situation where we wanted or needed to drive both cars long distances in different directions on the same day.  The 80 mile roundtrip range of the i3 is small compared to the Tesla, but more than enough for most any errands we do, including going into downtown.  The i3 gets recharged whenever we return from using it, so it's always ready to go.  After plugging in at the shopping center a couple of times the thrill of free electricity is gone; we don't even bother looking for the charge stations anymore.

It can be a sensible choice for some, but not for everyone.  If you're a traveling salesperson, electric is a bad choice.  Got a soccer team to haul, not going to get them in any electric I know of.    

• Like 2

On 9/30/2021 at 4:44 PM, Mark J said:

It's that time of year again.  I changed all the smoke detector batteries in the house.  I think I mentioned in an earlier post somewhere how much I enjoy this task (NOT!).  I think I wouldn't do it, except I know Coop would scold me.  

Yeah, Ken is like that. Be sure to thank him for his concern.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2021 at 5:44 PM, Mark J said:

t's that time of year again.  I changed all the smoke detector batteries in the house.  I think I mentioned in an earlier post somewhere how much I enjoy this task (NOT!).  I think I wouldn't do it, except I know Coop would scold me.  

You might try lithium. I have not changed them for a long time. They are active and alert me when to change. The alert is very demanding.

• Like 1

I pumped up all four tires on my wife's electric car. 

She came home and announced that she had a low pressure warning on one tire, so I went out thinking another flat.  But check the dashboard to see which one, and all four tires are down 3 or 4 pounds.  Then it occurs to me, with an electric there's no oil to change, so no periodic service where someone checks her tire pressure, or brake fluid, or anything else for that matter.  --duh.

Guess I should check the onerous manual, though I doubt it even mentions that the car has brakes let alone where the fluid reservoir is.

• Like 1

Lol, i'm picky about tire pressure. I did a test to determine the best pressure with the tires on my car. I've since replaced away from the stock tire. So my check list after I come back from the dealer is: Check tire pressure, release air down to the right level....

The dealer will fill my Jeep tires up to like 45 PSI, whch makes them really hard to drive and squirly....