What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

I assembled some like that when we first moved in 11 years ago and my thumbs were killing me from the allen wrench. I bought a bit set to use a ratchet before we had kids and I had to assemble all that furniture.

On that covered porch those should last you quite a while! We kept ours under covers in the open but found the sun was destroying the covers far too quickly for what they cost leading to the cushions being wet anytime we wanted to use them. Happily we have put together a whole set of wrought iron furniture for the cost of some time and spray paint.

I forgot to post the picture with the big C-clamp for twisting the post into alignment soon after I started driving it.  You have to get it right with the first couple of licks, or you won't be able to move it.  I just sighted the side to be in line with the porch post.  It helps to be able to see straight for building stuff.

That little level is a handy thing to have.  It's very easy to handle, reads accurately and has magnets for grabbing things like scaffold bucks.

This was after I had to go to the shop to get the big hammer.

IMG_4659 (1).jpg

• Like 2

It seems like someone would make a post popper for chainlink posts.  I thought most of them were just driven into the ground.  I have one of these for T-posts.  All you have to do is break it loose with one pull, and then you can easily lift it out of the ground.

The same sort of thing should work with the round posts for chainlink.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/t-fence-post-puller?store=1501&cid=Shopping-Google-Local_Feed&utm_medium=Google&utm_source=Shopping&utm_campaign=&utm_content=Local_Feed&gclid=CjwKCAiAuaKfBhBtEiwAht6H79T37P1v2wmU0csP8PBg2kbmMu04meZvebkx6zRCntSfLl9E_7bj_xoC4KIQAvD_BwE

edited to add:  I figured there would be youtube videos:

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 5:22 AM, Tom King said:

They're almost all in concrete, even the little short poles for some reason. Complete overkill for their original purpose (keeping dogs separate).

The plan this summer is to put in a partial driveway and agricultural building, so I'd be doing some earthmoving either way.

1 hour ago, BonPacific said:

They're almost all in concrete, even the little short poles for some reason. Complete overkill for their original purpose (keeping dogs separate)

Some localities require this, if the fence is on a property line. Frost lift can lead chain link poles to migrate over time. With the concrete, they tend to lean, and make you aware movement has happened. 

EDIT: Soil type matters also. I am in a riparian zone, on a deep sand bed. Where clay is present, the sand holds together. Where it is absent…

A tractor will make easy work of it then. 

When I put concrete around posts, I put a loop of rebar in it with the loop out of the top.  That way when the time comes, a tractor can lift it right out with a chain with the only digging needed is to find that loop. 

I'm going to do that when I put concrete around those handrail posts.  I made sure when I was digging the holes that no part of the hole was under the bricks and went straight down where I had to cut the concrete footings.

Balusters not listed as out for delivery today, so I just put the handrails up for the renters this weekend.  Hopefully it's safer than none.  I don't know how they got by without handrails on those steps for how many ever decades before, or even on that porch.

I had put off doing these because I really wanted to weld up some metal ones, so they would be permanent.  My metal supplier will only deliver for no charge when the local boat lift manufacturer gets their orders delivered.  Availability of pieces I wanted would never work out right when they were headed this way, so I gave up on that idea.

IMG_4669.jpg

I went down to clean up the beach, but there wasn't much to do, so I guess I've finally gotten ahead of turning it back into a beach.  The water is really unusually clear for Winter.

IMG_4668.jpg

• Like 2