What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

Talking about kids books, we homeschooled both of our children until they were 14 and 15.  Our county school system was ranked as 176th out of 177 school systems in the state, so the choices were not good.   We converted one of the original bedrooms in the oldest part of the house into a library.  It's just a 10x10 room and doesn't have any room left for my books in the tall barrister bookcase.

• Like 1

My wife got a text on Friday morning from our neighbors asking if we could go look at their house since their au pair said something was leaking and they're visiting family in California. Turned the water off to the house because I could hear water spraying inside the walls. Haven't seen the final damage but the plumber had to make at least two holes in the basement ceiling. LOADS of water came out, confirming my decision to not start poking holes in someone else's house while they're 3,000 miles away.

• Sad 5

On 8/13/2023 at 12:09 PM, BillyJack said:

I’d Have have tore up legs with that…

IMG_1184.jpeg

You mean a tore up hip...you will hit the counter top before anything in that holder :)

On 8/13/2023 at 11:55 AM, JohnG said:

Made a mistake. But also learned that a resawking blade doesn’t have much trouble cutting steel…

B173884E-0593-492B-890F-09408D16B81D.thumb.jpeg.031524c277d2e061d207e8dcaf3d9266.jpeg

Whoa that's actually pretty impressive LOL. Sorry about the blade and the clamp but a heck of a story :)

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 6:58 AM, Mark J said:

A good trick, and nicely done pins.  

What wood did you use for yhe dark pins?

Thanks Mark! The pins were hard maple, purpleheart and gaboon ebony. The ebony were by far the easiest to turn the maple not terrible and the purpleheart kind of a PITA. The purple would tear out really easily making it tough to work.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2023 at 2:48 PM, pkinneb said:
On 8/15/2023 at 4:06 PM, Von said:

Got the edging and the drawer fronts installed. It's got the required handful of "close enough" flaws to prove its shop furniture. Need a trip to the hardware store to get bolts long enough to install the handles. Started working on finishing up the top by doubling up some plywood.

PXL_20230815_175547934.thumb.jpg.c5455620976a0ef25320814f228ae94f.jpg

What’s “shop furniture”?