What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

On 12/11/2023 at 1:13 PM, Ronn W said:

Furnace heat exchanger diagnosed with tiny holes about 2 years ago.  Worse the following year and worser still now.  Figured we have pushed it about as far as we dare.  New furnace and t-stat being installed today.  Aaargh!

But think of how nice it will be in mid January! 

On 12/20/2023 at 9:38 AM, Chestnut said:

The whole time i was cutting the edge between the wall and ceiling i was wondering how people typically handle that edge?

This was recommended to me by a Pro a number of years ago.  SHUR-LINE Edge Painter   He doesn't use it but in his mind is the best of the bunch for amateurs like myself.  I have been extremely happy with the results I get

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Chet said:

This was recommended to me by a Pro a number of years ago.  SHUR-LINE Edge Painter   He doesn't use it but in his mind is the best of the bunch for amateurs like myself.  I have been extremely happy with the results I get

I must have tried lesser versions of those in the past they worked ok for a while but then went sideways fast.

11 hours ago, pkinneb said:

In my younger days I cut in free hand with an angled brush these days I write a check :D

I hate painting LOL 

This was discussed. I also detest painting. Yes I'd rather do drywall work than painting.

• Like 1

Pam and her Sister painted the laundry room in the rental house after I redid the plumbing to work for the washing machine.  I cut in the casing and the wall top because they were taking forever. 

I showed them how to caulk the tape on the baseboard.  They did it and were amazed at how fast, easy, and perfect it was.  I showed them how to roll the tape against the wall to keep it straight on the baseboard.  They were able to do it but they had to get on their knees and it took a while.   

SIL had paid pros to paint their downstairs in their house not too long ago.  She said they caulked and painted the baseboards after everything else had been painted and it didn't come out as perfectly.  She said if she'd known how to do this that they could have saved themselves $1500 for a couple of afternoons of work.  Their downstairs is one small bedroom, one bathroom, and a small hallway.

When I was building new spec houses I doubt I could have built my houses as quickly if I waited for people to come do stuff.  I got better at all of it, and better equipped constantly over those 33 years.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 9:30 AM, legenddc said:

I cut in by hand. We've used that little roller thingy with good results but that requires advance planning. The last paint I used for our accent wall was way too cheap and ran like water. I eventually gave up and just repainted the top of the baseboard.

Hanging out with the kids today. My son still has a fever so no Air and Space museum for us today. Brought out the old Nintendo Wii. They're loving it so far. We've bowled, played tennis, golf and back to bowling again.

My wife is working upstairs and didn't know what all the shouting was about.

Hope he feels better by the holiday! That is one of my favorite museum's to visit.