What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

On 11/14/2023 at 2:04 PM, legenddc said:

I think around 2" on each side. Hopefully that's wide enough for the roughly 22" and 28" spans. Doesn't have to be perfect as it'll be hidden by the frame. Thanks for the tips!

2" should be fine. The pane is on the bigger side, so I'd probably lay it on the edge of a table and use two pairs of pliers, each about 1/3 in from the edges. Then pivot them downward, away from the side you scored with the cutter. Or you can use one pair of pliers and know it might not break off along the whole length (I'd still position them about 1/3 in from one corner). This is fine, but sometimes you end up with a little nub where the break tapers away from the score line. You can usually nibble away at those with pliers, but need to be careful if you don't have much overlap on the frame. I liked linesman pliers, but any with a wider profile would be fine. You don't want to grip it so tight that it's likely to crack the glass. If the pliers have really aggressive teeth on them, a layer or two of tape would probably be wise.

On 11/15/2023 at 10:57 AM, pkinneb said:

Great job Ronn!! Question for you is it comfortable? I plan on making a set of these for are bar in the basement.

I would ease the edges of the seat  little more.  Because the seat is quite high you don't want the edge to feel sharp as you slide your but onto the seat - especially if you are wear shorts.  It is reasoably comfortable. I think the one could decrease the depth of the seat from front to back.  Then, again, I am only 5'-9" tall.  Make sure that you adjust the height of the stool to work with the height of the bar.  The brass foot rest is really optional.  If it is for a home there would be less wear and tear than in a bar setting.  The brass rods in the beack are also optional,  the crest rail itself gives enough support without the rods IMO.  But they look nice.

This is a very heavy piece, I would consider judiciously making it a little less massive for home use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2023 at 5:31 PM, gee-dub said:

I finally made some shorter handles.

On 11/17/2023 at 10:56 AM, drzaius said:

I shortened the handles on my General drill press. They were so long they were always bumping into something.

Doh!  I am always knocking my knuckles on the work piece then wondering how I could change the set up to avoid this.  I never thought of shortening the handles.

• Like 2

Short handles are a great idea.  I often have to take one or two of the handles out and use it with one or two fewer handles.

As for today, BIL and I tried to jet a water line under a 21' wide paved driveway to the rental house.  We've had the driest Summer and Fall ever, so the red clay subsoil is not much softer than concrete.  It was going about 1 foot per ten minutes until we hit a rock about 8 feet in.  

I thought only a water line was on that side of the driveway.  I found that with the tractor bucket.  We drilled a line of holes with the tractor auger and I cut out the webs between them with the loader bucket.  We hit a 3/4" diameter wire that I thought was just some old unused wire, but when we stopped for lunch there was no internet in that house.

The technician came out about 6 tonight and finished fixing it.  He said don't worry about it.  It happens all the time and if it didn't he wouldn't have a job.

For jetting the line, I was hand holding the hose from the small electric pressure washer inside the pipe we wanted under the road to go service the RV parking area.  I don't know if I'll be able to pick up a fork in the morning.  I'd wash out some dirt, pull the hose out, and tap the pipe in with a 4 pound dead blow mallet.  It was going pretty good until the water only ran clear and wouldn't tap in any farther, so I'm thinking we probably hit a good sized rock.

I haven't figured out the next plan of attack yet.

Pictures show how I find pipe and wire trenches.  Just slice the top off the ground down to a clean cut and it shows up where the dirt got mixed when the trench was filled back in.  It was a little over 2' away from where I though it was, but the 7' bucket found it anyway.  That saves a lot of guess digging.

IMG_6187.jpg

IMG_6188.jpg

• Like 2